PDA

View Full Version : Tips for setting up Dell U2410 Monitor

gooble
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 02:43
I just got a Dell U2410 monitor and would like users of this monitor to share their tips.

For instance, the backlight on this monitor is extremely bright. Where do you set the brightness? What is the best calibration tool? What preset mode do you use, custom color? What are the sRGB and Adobe RGB preset modes best used for? If you're using a calibration tool for a custom calibration profile what use are they really? What use is the profile that came on the disk with the monitor?

I currently have a Spyder2 Express and it seems that it does not do any control for luminance. It seems odd that it wouldn't. And also whites seem to have a bluish cast even after calibration. I'm not even sure how to change this in the monitor's settings.

basroil
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 02:50
I just got a Dell U2410 monitor and would like users of this monitor to share their tips.

For instance, the backlight on this monitor is extremely bright. Where do you set the brightness? What is the best calibration tool? What preset mode do you use, custom color? What are the sRGB and Adobe RGB preset modes best used for? If you're using a calibration tool for a custom calibration profile what use are they really? What use is the profile that came on the disk with the monitor?

I currently have a Spyder2 Express and it seems that it does not do any control for luminance. It seems odd that it wouldn't. And also whites seem to have a bluish cast even after calibration. I'm not even sure how to change this in the monitor's settings.

You'll need a better calibrator, spyder2express isn't great for use with wide gamut monitors like the u2410. I know my spyder2 wasn't really any good with the 2408WFP. And apparently using sRGB preset and calibrating from that seems to work better than a custom preset.

ChasP505
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 04:24
I currently have a Spyder2 Express and it seems that it does not do any control for luminance. It seems odd that it wouldn't.

RTFM.

THEN... Reset to all factory default settings. Then select Standard Preset Mode, Brightness 30, Contrast 50, and let the Spyder software do its thing.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

You might also want to download and try the trial version of ColorEyes Display Pro calibration software so you can adjust that 12 bit internal LUT directly. With the Spyder2 Express software, all your color adjustments are at the graphics card level.

gooble
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 13:40
RTFM.

THEN... Reset to all factory default settings. Then select Standard Preset Mode, Brightness 30, Contrast 50, and let the Spyder software do its thing.

You might also want to download and try the trial version of ColorEyes Display Pro calibration software so you can adjust that 12 bit internal LUT directly. With the Spyder2 Express software, all your color adjustments are at the graphics card level.

Gee thanks. RTFM is a lot of help and besides it tells you nothing except what the buttons are and how to navigate the menu.

The factory settings are all intact except I lowered the brightness to about 20 so my eyeballs weren't burned and I let the spyder do it's thing and it didn't work. Colors, contrast and brightness all look good but there is a blue cast to grays and whites that won't go away and I've calibrated several times.

basroil
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 13:54
Gee thanks. RTFM is a lot of help and besides it tells you nothing except what the buttons are and how to navigate the menu.

The factory settings are all intact except I lowered the brightness to about 20 so my eyeballs weren't burned and I let the spyder do it's thing and it didn't work. Colors, contrast and brightness all look good but there is a blue cast to grays and whites that won't go away and I've calibrated several times.

sure it's a cast and not just that your eyes are screwed up?

cicopo
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 13:55
I did mine by eye using 3 different test prints that I downloaded. I had to knock the brightness (on the monitor) down to the 10-15 range and run the contrast at 50%. I did the rest using the video card controls and to my eyes I had it extremely close. Now I have to do it again because I've built a new computer with a different video card, but at least I've had some practice. So far I haven't even looked at the newer cards control panel.

gooble
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 14:49
sure it's a cast and not just that your eyes are screwed up?

Pretty sure. I'm running two monitors. The other is a Dell 2407fpw and running them side by side with the same image, browser window or lightroom across both monitors I can see a definite blue hue to whites and grays.Granted,this is not scientific and the 2407fpw is not calibrated because the Spyder2 won't do two monitors but honestly that monitor was great out of the box. Anytime I calibrated it I could hardly tell any difference from the original.

But the bottom line is black and white images on the uncalibrated 2407fpw look like black and white images and the U2410 looks like bluish duotones. Images with other colors and little grays and whites look the same on both monitors.

I know the Spyder2 is not up to the task. Which calibrator will work best and calibrate two monitor systems?

basroil
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 15:09
Pretty sure. I'm running two monitors. The other is a Dell 2407fpw and running them side by side with the same image, browser window or lightroom across both monitors I can see a definite blue hue to whites and grays.Granted,this is not scientific and the 2407fpw is not calibrated because the Spyder2 won't do two monitors but honestly that monitor was great out of the box. Anytime I calibrated it I could hardly tell any difference from the original.

But the bottom line is black and white images on the uncalibrated 2407fpw look like black and white images and the U2410 looks like bluish duotones. Images with other colors and little grays and whites look the same on both monitors.

I know the Spyder2 is not up to the task. Which calibrator will work best and calibrate two monitor systems?

Looks like you need to calibrate each and then compare. I know my 2408WFP was too red out of the box, so perhaps that's the same issue with your 2407

ChasP505
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 17:46
The most important thing about the u2410 is that it has 12 bit internal color processing, so WHY are we wasting time making adjustments at the video card? I recommend getting some software that can adjust the monitor LUT directly. Get a new Spyder3 Express and toss the software. Download ColorEyes Display Pro and use it with the sexy black Spyder3 Express hardware. Then you'll be sending a beautifully linear profile to your graphic card, sparing it the work of sorting out your color.

gooble
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 18:43
The most important thing about the u2410 is that it has 12 bit internal color processing, so WHY are we wasting time making adjustments at the video card? I recommend getting some software that can adjust the monitor LUT directly. Get a new Spyder3 Express and toss the software. Download ColorEyes Display Pro and use it with the sexy black Spyder3 Express hardware. Then you'll be sending a beautifully linear profile to your graphic card, sparing it the work of sorting out your color.

That software is is more than the calibration tool. This is depressing trying to get this freaking thing set up right.

So does that software run all the time or does it just build a profile?

ChasP505
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:08
That software is is more than the calibration tool. This is depressing trying to get this freaking thing set up right.

EyeOne Display2 is around $200. Spyder3 Express puck plus ColorEyes is around $250. $50 difference. Less than you'd spend when going out for a few beers.

So does that software run all the time or does it just build a profile?

Same as Spyder or Eyeone. It creates a profile and loads it at bootup. The difference is, on most DDC enabled displays it can automatically adjust the monitor and/or the video card. Dell monitors are hit or miss for DDC compatibility, but in general, the software is capable of hardware adjustments to the monitor LUT of displays with high bit internal color processing.

gooble
23rd of February 2010 (Tue), 12:11
I was at Fry's Electronics last night and out of desperation I bought a Spyder3 Pro ($200) to replace my Spyder2 Express.

This morning I went to the ColorEyes site and they have a Spyder3 package with the ColorEyes software for $300. It appears to be the Spyder3 Pro hardware not the Express and in their package the Spyder3 hardware comes out to only $125.

I think this is the way I should go if the consensus here is that ColorEyes is best for wide gamut monitors like the U2410. I don't know much about this company or their reputation.

Will I the difference I get between the Spyder3 Pro and ColorEyes software be worth the extra $100? Also will ColorEyes work with dual monitors?

ChasP505
23rd of February 2010 (Tue), 18:45
Gooble...

You got robbed buying the Spyder3 Pro for $200. The correct price is $130, no tax, free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-S3P100-Spyder3-pro/dp/B000X4X37A

What I suggested was buy the Spyder3 Express and us the puck with Coloreyes software. $175 + $80 = $255.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=212199569&listingid=74306910

ChasP505
23rd of February 2010 (Tue), 18:47
The difference is, on most DDC enabled displays it can automatically adjust the monitor and/or the video card. Dell monitors are hit or miss for DDC compatibility, but in general, the software is capable of hardware adjustments to the monitor LUT of displays with high bit internal color processing.

Quoting myself for emphasis and just in case I've turned into chopped liver.

gooble
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 00:50
Gooble...

You got robbed buying the Spyder3 Pro for $200. The correct price is $130, no tax, free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-S3P100-Spyder3-pro/dp/B000X4X37A

What I suggested was buy the Spyder3 Express and us the puck with Coloreyes software. $175 + $80 = $255.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=212199569&listingid=74306910

Actually, I was mistaken. I got the Spyder3 Elite. After some more research I think I'll take it back and get the Spyder3 express or pro.

Are all the Spyder3 hardware the same except for the ambient sensor? The express is black and the others are silver but if there's no functional difference in the colorimeter then I'll probably get the express and ColorEyes.

gooble
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 00:58
Quoting myself for emphasis and just in case I've turned into chopped liver.

I emailed Integrated Color and Jack Bingham responded:

"DDC hardware control which is what the video card list is for really is irrelevant because the dell ddc scenario is non standard and seldom works with any video card.
You can however make very good calibrations by making some manual adjustments before profiling.
12 bit internal luts only matter if you can actually address them. See the note about ddc and dell above.
Coloreyes will give you the accuracy you are looking for."

ChasP505
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 08:47
Are all the Spyder3 hardware the same except for the ambient sensor? The express is black and the others are silver but if there's no functional difference in the colorimeter then I'll probably get the express and ColorEyes.

Yes, the only difference is the ambient light sensor which is pretty much a useless gimmick IMHO. I've had three Spyder3 pucks, an Elite model, a Pro, and an Express. The Express puck is the best of the 3 based on consistency. I really believe all those reports which say while the Spyder3 is the most advanced of the popular colorimeter devices, and best for wide gamut displays, something like one out of three is bad (inconsistent or defective).

I also believe the venerable EyeOne display v.2 hardware is manufactured for better QC than the Spyder3 products. So an alternative plan (if you don't see yourself getting a wide gamut display in the near future) might be to get an EyeOne Display LT and use that puck.

ChasP505
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 08:54
I emailed Integrated Color and Jack Bingham responded:

"DDC hardware control which is what the video card list is for really is irrelevant because the dell ddc scenario is non standard and seldom works with any video card...

Yeah that's a major problem I have with Dells. Why the heck do they make a high bit internal color processing monitor with non-functional DDC? I really don't know what software/video card combination is capable of controlling the U2410 via DDC. If they offered optional dedicated calibration software like NEC's Spectraview and Eizo's Colornavigator, this monitor would be an incredible best seller in its class.

gooble
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 13:35
if you don't see yourself getting a wide gamut display in the near future

Isn't the U2410 a wide gamut display?

Yeah that's a major problem I have with Dells. Why the heck do they make a high bit internal color processing monitor with non-functional DDC? I really don't know what software/video card combination is capable of controlling the U2410 via DDC. If they offered optional dedicated calibration software like NEC's Spectraview and Eizo's Colornavigator, this monitor would be an incredible best seller in its class.

He seemed to make it sound like there's no way of knowing if the U2410 will work with any given card for DDC but that ColorEyes with a colorimeter like the Spyder3 will give the best result. But does this mean there's not much reason getting the U2410 because it's effectively crippled or are we quibbling about insignificant quality differences?

ChasP505
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 16:15
Isn't the U2410 a wide gamut display?

Yes it is. Get a Spyder3 puck.

He seemed to make it sound like there's no way of knowing if the U2410 will work with any given card for DDC but that ColorEyes with a colorimeter like the Spyder3 will give the best result. But does this mean there's not much reason getting the U2410 because it's effectively crippled or are we quibbling about insignificant quality differences?

What it means is you have to still make all monitor adjustments manually, by actually pressing buttons on the monitor. The way it SHOULD be is you enter all your settings in the calibration software and it automatically controls the monitor.

gooble
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 16:59
What it means is you have to still make all monitor adjustments manually, by actually pressing buttons on the monitor. The way it SHOULD be is you enter all your settings in the calibration software and it automatically controls the monitor.

Ahh, got it. Thanks for the help.

gooble
1st of March 2010 (Mon), 15:03
New problem.

I tried calibrating with ColorEyes and my current Spyder2. ColorEyes recommends that if your monitor does not support DDC and LUT or if you think it does not do it correctly, which seems to be the consensus regarding the U2410, that you should manually adjust gain and brightness under the white point area of the setup. I tried this and ran into a problem. After I set the Spyder up on the monitor it is listing the blue channel at -50 and no adjustment to either brightness or the red or green channel made it move at all.

I thought it might be a problem with the Spyder2 so I tried it with my 2405fpw monitor and the blue channel was somewhere else and I could make the adjustments to zero out the settings. So now it seems it's not the Spyder2.

Just to be sure I run the test again but instead direct the Spyder2 onto a piece of white paper lit by a lamp. Once again the blue channel is at -50 and won't budge. What's the deal?

Frustrated I go out and get the Spyder3 Express and run it again on the U2410 and once again the blue channel is at -50.

So what's the problem. I can't tell if it's the Spyders or the U2410 but so far I'm not pleased with this monitor. I was able to calibrate the 2405fpw with the spyder2 and ColorEyes and it looked great. Do I have a dud monitor?

ChasP505
1st of March 2010 (Mon), 18:01
Gooble... You should definitely ask the guys at the ColorEyes support website (http://www.integrated-color.com/phpBB2/login.php?redirect=viewforum.php&f=3&start=0&sid=722c899c93b39c9be27705d70163b362) or email them directly. They respond quickly.

Before calibrating did you set both video card and monitor to defaults? In the ColorEyes software GUI, does it show both the monitor LUT and video LUT curves?

With CEDP and the Spyder3, I initially would try calibrating this display to a condition you know it can reach easily-- 6500K, 2.2 gamma, 140cd/m2 luminance. The methodology is kind of like overclocking a new PC. You first set it at conservative and stable levels, then incrementally adjust from there.

gooble
1st of March 2010 (Mon), 18:55
Gooble... You should definitely ask the guys at the ColorEyes support website (http://www.integrated-color.com/phpBB2/login.php?redirect=viewforum.php&f=3&start=0&sid=722c899c93b39c9be27705d70163b362) or email them directly. They respond quickly.

Before calibrating did you set both video card and monitor to defaults? In the ColorEyes software GUI, does it show both the monitor LUT and video LUT curves?

With CEDP and the Spyder3, I initially would try calibrating this display to a condition you know it can reach easily-- 6500K, 2.2 gamma, 140cd/m2 luminance. The methodology is kind of like overclocking a new PC. You first set it at conservative and stable levels, then incrementally adjust from there.

I tried the Integrated Color forum but had to register and I'm still awaiting acceptance by moderator. I also emailed one of the owners I think. Haven't heard back yet.

As for the curves, in the white point setup window that's causing me the problem there were two curve boxes there but only the top one (I think) had a curve in it.

I didn't know I was supposed to do anything to the video card settings.

BTW, what is ColorEyes doing when you set the brightness setting to maximum? Is it calibrating for whatever brightness setting you currently have on the monitor? It is only after changing this to custom, which is 120 by default, that it opens up the pre-calibration white point option.

ChasP505
1st of March 2010 (Mon), 19:22
BTW, what is ColorEyes doing when you set the brightness setting to maximum? Is it calibrating for whatever brightness setting you currently have on the monitor? It is only after changing this to custom, which is 120 by default, that it opens up the pre-calibration white point option.

It's calibrating for the maximum luminance it can attain while still hitting your desired white point and gamma. So don't set maximum luminance and DO set minimum/relative black point. Set a specific numerical luminance value.

gooble
2nd of March 2010 (Tue), 17:13
I finally got the U2410 calibrated and it looks great. I set my luminace to 120 and white point to 6500 and then manually set luminance with monitor controls. I think the problem I was having was that I had the white point option set to "native" before.

As for the black point, I did not set it manually because Integrated Color suggest using "absolute" and I wasn't sure what to set it at myself. Also they recommend "absolute" if your using dual monitors in order to match them up better.

That brings up a problem though. I calibrated both monitors using the same settings and setting the brightness manually on both and there is a slight difference. The U2410 seems to be most accurate to my eyes and the 2405fpw is slightly cool in the whites and grays and has slightly more yellow to it. Comparing pictures in dual screen Lightroom shows that they are very close but I could notice some yellow detail in some pictures on the 2405fpw that the U2410 didn't show. I don't know how hard it is to match monitors. Maybe I can't exect to get it much closer.

After calibration a screen pops up with the accuracy of the colors and luminance. I think Dell certified that the de (delta?) is <4 on the U2410. I was quite shocked to see that red was at 8.5 while blue and green were in the 3 range and gray levels were in the 1 range. Overall the average was something like 4.5 which is higher than Dell certified. Should this worry me?

And finally, the more I've found out about this monitor the more I wonder if it is really worth having.

Here are the perceived benefits to me:

-Wide viewing angles - I don't have sit right in front of the screen and I can trust the tonality in an image to be the way I want it and not dependent on where I positioned at the moment.

-Wide color gamut and accurate colors - this sounds great but are we actually benefiting from it. Integrated Color is of the opinion that the DDC does not work on the U2410 and that 12 bit LUT only matter if it can be addressed and since DDC does not work it doesn't matter. Also my red channel seems to be way out of the tolerances Dell certified.

ChasP505
3rd of March 2010 (Wed), 15:00
Gooble... Saw your posts on the IC/CEDP support website.

Try this:
Brightness/Gains
D65
2.2 gamma (NOT L*)
120 cd/m2
Minimum/Relative black point
White Balance: Adjust Brightness so it reads +5, Get RGBs as close to 0 as possible.

Warm up the monitor for minimum 30 mins. Warm up the Spyder3 puck by plugging it in and positioning it on the screen for 10 minutes prior to calibrating.

-Wide color gamut and accurate colors - this sounds great but are we actually benefiting from it. Integrated Color is of the opinion that the DDC does not work on the U2410 and that 12 bit LUT only matter if it can be addressed and since DDC does not work it doesn't matter. Also my red channel seems to be way out of the tolerances Dell certified.

No, I've found that there is not a commercial calibration software out there that can work with Dell's implementation of DDC on this monitor (or the U2711 for that matter). But remember that having 12 bit internal color processing, when you manually adjust the RGB controls, you are making adjustments at the monitor's 12 bit LUT, not the video card's 8 bit LUT. This means you're sending a very linear profile to the video card with little loss of color data.

gooble
3rd of March 2010 (Wed), 16:01
Gooble... Saw your posts on the IC/CEDP support website.

Try this:
Brightness/Gains
D65
2.2 gamma (NOT L*)
120 cd/m2
Minimum/Relative black point
White Balance: Adjust Brightness so it reads +5, Get RGBs as close to 0 as possible.

Warm up the monitor for minimum 30 mins. Warm up the Spyder3 puck by plugging it in and positioning it on the screen for 10 minutes prior to calibrating.

No, I've found that there is not a commercial calibration software out there that can work with Dell's implementation of DDC on this monitor (or the U2711 for that matter). But remember that having 12 bit internal color processing, when you manually adjust the RGB controls, you are making adjustments at the monitor's 12 bit LUT, not the video card's 8 bit LUT. This means you're sending a very linear profile to the video card with little loss of color data.

Chas, thanks for the help.

To video card or from the video card? I'll take your word for the other stuff. :)

I'm learning little by little and it seems the more I learn the more complicated it all gets. I don't know why Dell and other manufacturers of put these beneficial things in their monitors and then don't allow them to work with computers.

Anyway, consistency across a wide viewing angle is a major benefit to me of this panel alone if nothing else.

As for the calibration issue, I used all the settings you listed except for the minimum/relative black point. I'll change that and try it tonight. Oh, and I see you don't recommend L*, why not?

I have dual monitors side by side and they've both been on while I was calibrating. Is it possible the other monitor is tainting the results by shining on the colorimeter? I considered this and turned it off when I thought of it but I wasn't consistent (I've calibrated several times). My gut feeling is that it can't have much effect but who knows.

Also, don't think I mentioned this earlier or elsewhere but I calibrated both my monitors with identical settings in ColorEyes.

2405FPW:

gray levels dE >3 (the darkest levels were really high; in the 8 range)
RGB dE <1

U2410:

gray levels dE <1
R dE 8.5
G dE 4.5
B dE 3.5

Based on these results with my limited knowledge it seems to me that there is something wrong with the U2410 but I will try to use a spyder2 and spyder3 and calibrate each monitor several more times with the settings you've given to see what happens.

Just discovered that the 2405FPW is a PVA panel (what does the lack of an s mean?). As far as the color goes on it I've been very happy with it other than for the fact that luminosity changes greatly with viewing angle especially in darker regions and I want to be confident that detail I've brought out in dark areas of photos will translate to prints and not be subject to where my head was when I edited.

ChasP505
3rd of March 2010 (Wed), 16:54
There are a few forum members who are better equipped to answer your questions about dual monitors than I am. I've never used a dual monitor setup except on computers used for displaying big spread sheets, not photo editing, and with identical monitors. I wouldn't expect two different monitors to look perfectly identical, even when calibrated.

Regarding L*:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31553
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38535
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34929

My personal experience: I get MUCH better results on my Dell 2209WA using 2.2 rather than L*.

René Damkot
4th of March 2010 (Thu), 16:33
gray levels dE >3 (the darkest levels were really high; in the 8 range)
RGB dE <1

U2410:

gray levels dE <1
R dE 8.5
G dE 4.5
B dE 3.5

dE of anything over 3 is (way) too high IMO for a decent screen.
Heck, even my PowerBook G4 "only" has dE of about 6 for a blue that's entirely out of gamut.

Average dE should be about or below 1 IMO. (My old CRT and ACD are at an avarage dE of 1.1 to 1.4 or so)

ChasP505
4th of March 2010 (Thu), 17:33
Gooble, I have been following the IC/CEDP tech support website for a long time and they more often recommend minimum/relative black point. Or ... if they recommend Absolute-- they sometimes suggest setting a higher black value than the minimum the display can attain. For example, if you know the display can hit 15cd/m2, set the black point for 25cd/m2.

Remember... when you set Minimum/Relative black point, you make NO manual adjustments. The puck simply measures the lowest black value after it sets the luminance. It falls where it falls "Relative" to the luminance value. If you calibrate for 175cd/m2, your black value may end up as 0.45cd/m2. And if you are at luminance of 120cd/m2, black value may be 0.20cd/m2.

And... Did you adjust the RGB sliders at all?

At this time, I'm all tapped out for advice. You're on your own. Let us know if you get too frustrated and decide to sell your U2410.

sara505
4th of March 2010 (Thu), 19:04
Actually, I was mistaken. I got the Spyder3 Elite. After some more research I think I'll take it back and get the Spyder3 express or pro.

I'm pretty sure it's the Elite that you want, the pro is a mis-nomer; the Elite has more of the options you need.

ChasP505
5th of March 2010 (Fri), 09:43
I'm pretty sure it's the Elite that you want, the pro is a mis-nomer; the Elite has more of the options you need.

Sara, while the Elite is indeed the top of the Spyder3 line, Mr. Gooble has been talking about using the Spyder3 puck with third party software, ColorEyes Display Pro, so it doesn't matter which Spyder3 product he takes the puck from.

gooble
5th of March 2010 (Fri), 10:40
I calibrated twice more. Once with spyder 3 and once with spyder 2.

Settings:

brightness/gain
brightness 120
white D65
gamma 2.2
black relative/minimum

Got pretty much the same results on these that I got before. Gray levels all dE less than 1. Red 8.5, green 4.5 and blue 3.5. Average 1.6 something but that's only because all other readings were less than 1.

So is this telling me that I can't rely on the colors I see on screen to come out the same on a print? Have any other U2410 users had such bad results on theirs.

My 4 year old Dell 2405FPW which I discovered is a PVA panel has dE of around 1.5 on red, green and blue but the U2410 which has a good reputation is so much worse. Is this just an isolated bad apple?

As much as it pains me to deal with Dell and trying to return it I think I will.

ChasP505
5th of March 2010 (Fri), 16:45
So did you ever try using the settings shown on the TFT site?

Standard preset
Brightness 30
Contrast 50
Leave RGBs alone

It's amazing that they were able to get such good results. They even make their calibrated profile available to download and try.

gooble
5th of March 2010 (Fri), 17:35
So did you ever try using the settings shown on the TFT site?

Standard preset
Brightness 30
Contrast 50
Leave RGBs alone

It's amazing that they were able to get such good results. They even make their calibrated profile available to download and try.

No haven't tried. Did someone suggest it earlier? If so I missed it. I will try that tonight though I'm not confident that I'll resolve this.

I called Dell to get an exchange today and I can't tell you how angry it made me. I spent 45 minutes on the phone and got transferred from person to person, each one telling me they can't help me but will transfer me to somebody who can but then that person says they can't help me and it went on and on until I think I got sent back to the first department. After seven people and seven waits on hold I hung up in frustration. It's shameful.

Luckily, there seems to be the only competent person at Dell in their technical support forum and without him I would've gone insane by now. And this is not the first time I've had to deal with them recently. I made the mistake of buying an Alienware PC during the holidays and finally after three orders, a lost order, returning cancelled orders, bogus charges, hours on the phone and 8 or 9 weeks I finally got my computer. I'm a glutton for punishment buying this monitor I guess.

gooble
6th of March 2010 (Sat), 09:51
I recalibrated with standard preset and and adjusted brightness only like TFT Central did and I got this:

Only thing I'm wondering now is why the custom preset turns out so bad.

Chas, thanks for that link. You saved me a return.:D

ChasP505
6th of March 2010 (Sat), 11:04
Excellent! Glad you finally nailed it. :D

gooble
6th of March 2010 (Sat), 12:23
I calibrated again to fix luminance which actually turned out to be 90cd (the value of 120 in the screen shot changed to 90 after I closed the validation results) and now all dE are less than 1 however a strange thing happened. My cursor pointer now has a green tint to it instead of being white. Everything else looks just fine. Coincidence or did something happen here. Or are my eyes going?

ChasP505
6th of March 2010 (Sat), 12:46
I've heard of this happening. Sometimes it's from staring at the screen for too long. Sometimes it clears when you reboot. The thing you may want to consider now is whether you want/need to be at 90cd/m2. But the important thing is you're getting a good profile now. When you start feeling obsessive about this process, it's time to get up and go enjoy some sunshine.

Sancho
8th of March 2010 (Mon), 19:32
Gooble can i ask how you got on and also what other specs you have there. I have exactly the same issues you have. I have the same 2 monitors also! I am running windows 7 and have an 8800gt dual head card if that makes any difference.

I have tried using my spyder3 and also and eyeone and used the spyder 3 express software, colorEyes, BasICColor and also fiery color profiler suite. NONE have given my very good results at all. Mt non ips panel, the 2407wsp looks fine.

I bought the IPS as was a little frustrated at the blacks on the 2407 so went for an IPS and after some reviews the U2410 seemed like a great choice. I am now tempted to get rid of it!

I am however sure it can be calibrated and am a stubborn bugger so that should help! I downloaded the profile that TFT central made and used their settings and it was absolute crap, super yellow!

Was just wondering what settings you have used if you have gotten close etc...

Thanks

gooble
9th of March 2010 (Tue), 12:32
Gooble can i ask how you got on and also what other specs you have there. I have exactly the same issues you have. I have the same 2 monitors also! I am running windows 7 and have an 8800gt dual head card if that makes any difference.

I have tried using my spyder3 and also and eyeone and used the spyder 3 express software, colorEyes, BasICColor and also fiery color profiler suite. NONE have given my very good results at all. Mt non ips panel, the 2407wsp looks fine.

I bought the IPS as was a little frustrated at the blacks on the 2407 so went for an IPS and after some reviews the U2410 seemed like a great choice. I am now tempted to get rid of it!

I am however sure it can be calibrated and am a stubborn bugger so that should help! I downloaded the profile that TFT central made and used their settings and it was absolute crap, super yellow!

Was just wondering what settings you have used if you have gotten close etc...

Thanks

I used ColorEyes and Spyder3. Look at the image in my post two posts ago for the ColorEyes settings.

Set U2410 to standard preset; not custom or any of the others. In standard you cannot adjust the RGB gain so during the ColorEyes pre-calibration you can only adjust brightness.

Jack Bingham of Integrated Color (maker of ColorEyes) recommends setting the brightness during pre-calibration to +8 to +10 due to the fact that the brightness will dim during the calibration process. He also recommends setting the RGB gain during pre-calibration but this is not possible in the standard preset.

I used the standard preset becuase I was not able to achieve acceptable dE using the custom preset as I've pointed out in this thread.

I calibrated both monitors with the same ColorEyes settings and they match up pretty well though you can see the wider gamut of the U2410.

Hope that helps.

ChasP505
9th of March 2010 (Tue), 13:07
Jack Bingham of Integrated Color (maker of ColorEyes) recommends setting the brightness during pre-calibration to +8 to +10 due to the fact that the brightness will dim during the calibration process. He also recommends setting the RGB gain during pre-calibration but this is not possible in the standard preset.

I found that once you learn what a specific Brightness value equates to in terms of luminance value, you no longer have to set above 0. For example, I once specified 120cd/m2 and set my Brightness to 12%. The actual final luminance value came out to be 115cd/m2. What is happening is CEDP is adjusting your RGB values downward (never up) at the video card to achieve the color temperature and the resulting luminance value is often lower than you specified. Setting Brightness so CEDP reads it as +8 or +10 above the 0 level gives CEDP some "head room" to lower the RGBs as needed.

So... while I know setting the RGBs right from the monitor is optimal, letting CEDP adjust your RGB values at the video card is not so bad with a monitor of this quality and you shouldn't have any problems such as banding..

Poe
26th of April 2011 (Tue), 02:52
Doesn't look like my Color Munki Photo is compatible with CEDP.

I've set my U2410 to Standard color mode and Brightness to 20, then ran CMP. The CMP measured brightness is well above 120 cd/m^2, about 170 cd/m^2. I have to turn the brightness down to 0 to get it close to the 120 cd/m^2, but that's apparently an unstable setting? I believe CMP makes the necessary changes to the profile even though it didn't meet the 120 setting. Would I be better off turning the brigtness down towards a setting of 10 or should I set it to 30 and recalibrate with the CMP?

ChasP505
26th of April 2011 (Tue), 11:44
Doesn't look like my Color Munki Photo is compatible with CEDP.

Why use CEDP? Reset the U2410 to factory defaults and use the ColorMunki software.

Poe
26th of April 2011 (Tue), 14:50
Why use CEDP? Reset the U2410 to factory defaults and use the ColorMunki software.

Didn't you recommend using CEDP over any of the software provided with colorimeters?

The factory default for brightness is 50. Should I leave that setting alone during calibration?

ChasP505
27th of April 2011 (Wed), 15:38
Didn't you recommend using CEDP over any of the software provided with colorimeters?

Not necessarily... And the ColorMunki is not a colorimeter... it's a spectrophotometer. I'd use its software.

The factory default for brightness is 50. Should I leave that setting alone during calibration?

Once you specify a luminance value, the software will guide you to the best Brightness setting to achieve it.

Poe
27th of April 2011 (Wed), 17:04
Not necessarily... And the ColorMunki is not a colorimeter... it's a spectrophotometer. I'd use its software.

Once you specify a luminance value, the software will guide you to the best Brightness setting to achieve it.

I have to set the set the brightness value from 50 to 0 in order to get closest to the 120 cd/m^2 target. It was pointed out somewhere in this thread that the backlight becomes unstable below a value of 10. It was pointed out in that TFT Central link that the standard mode & a brightness value of 30 gave a really good calibration.

My question, again, is: What brightness value do I use for calibration? Do I leave it at 50 which is the factory default? Do I set it to 30 and hope that my Munki can get a calibration like the one in the TFT article? Do I set the value to 10 and calibrate, even though the colorimeter still measures a brightness greather than the target? Do I set it to 0, regardless of any backlight stability issues, and calibrate since that is the closest brightness to the target value? Do I set it somewhere altogether different?

The software doesn't "guide" me anywhere other than to change the brightness value in the monitor's menu. I'm targeting 120 cd/m^2. So far, I have not seen the U2410 achieve 120, even at 0 brightness.

René Damkot
27th of April 2011 (Wed), 18:40
The software doesn't "guide" me anywhere other than to change the brightness value in the monitor's menu. I'm targeting 120 cd/m^2. So far, I have not seen the U2410 achieve 120, even at 0 brightness.

Using the latest version?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=715521

I'd use between 10 and 30 or so if that gets you close to 120Cd/m^2

Poe
27th of April 2011 (Wed), 20:52
Using the latest version?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=715521

I'd use between 10 and 30 or so if that gets you close to 120Cd/m^2

I will have to check and see if I am using the latest version but with the version I do have, I have the ability to tell the software that I want a 120 Cd/m^2 target. It shows a GUI in the corner where it shows me the actual luminance reading with both a numerical reading and an indicator meter graphic that tells me how "close" I am to the target of 120 Cd/m^2

Thanks for the advice on brightness value.

Now, if I can just understand the reasons why my calibrated WFP2007 (~3 years old) screen doesn't match with my calibrated U2410...

René Damkot
28th of April 2011 (Thu), 09:13
You should be able to get them reasonably close, but you won't get different screens to display identical without matching the better screen to the lesser one (if the software supports that).
Also, for a dual screen setup, you need a video card with a dual LUT.

ChasP505
28th of April 2011 (Thu), 10:37

So the robotic arm didn't come out from the ColorMunki device and push the monitor buttons for you? (JUST KIDDING! ;) )

In addition to the Brightness, make sure all the other monitor controls are at factory defaults. If the software tells you to set the Contrast to 100%, that means 100% of factory default. IOW, leave it alone.

Once you get your first successful calibration, you won't need to completely reset the monitor on subsequent recalibrations.

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1115&Action=Support&SupportID=4880

Poe
28th of April 2011 (Thu), 14:49
Chas, I've been calibrating my WFP2007 with my Munki just fine for years now. I don't need the Munki to have a robotic arm to push any buttons, as I know how to use the software and how to adjust the settings on both panels.

What I have been asking for (and what you have been avoiding answering directly except with snarky quips) is guidance on what brightness value to set the panel to when the panel fails to achieve the target luminance at any brightness value. Unless someone plans to provide some useful information, such as keep the brightness value above 10, which has been the only useful piece of advice relevant for Munki users who can't take advantage of the CEDP software to check the delta E, setting the U2410's brightness value to 20 is just as arbirtrary to setting it at 30 or even 50, and letting the calibration software determine a profile that makes adjustments for the luminance of the pre-calibrated U2410 being higher than the target of 120 Cd/m^2.

Or perhaps you're trying to hint that I should purchase a Spyder 3 and CEDP software?

ChasP505
29th of April 2011 (Fri), 10:58
I can't understand why you can't get to even 120cd/m2 using the Brightness alone, as several reviewers and forum users report achieving this level by setting the Brightness somewhere from 20-30%. This is by no means an arbitrary recommendation, as the luminance performance of this model is very well documented.

Are your RGB levels at factory default? Is the Contrast at factory default level?

If affirmative to the above two questions, try setting the Brightness to 20%, then progressively lowering the Contrast until you hit 110-120cd/m2.

***BTW... Is the ColorMunki software able to communicate with the monitor via Dell's dodgy DDC implementation? If yes, the software will set the luminance automatically by adjusting the Brightness control. (Of course, it still can't address the U2410's internal LUT)

Poe
30th of April 2011 (Sat), 02:31
I can't understand why you can't get to even 120cd/m2 using the Brightness alone, as several reviewers and forum users report achieving this level by setting the Brightness somewhere from 20-30%. This is by no means an arbitrary recommendation, as the luminance performance of this model is very well documented.

Are your RGB levels at factory default? Is the Contrast at factory default level?

If affirmative to the above two questions, try setting the Brightness to 20%, then progressively lowering the Contrast until you hit 110-120cd/m2.

***BTW... Is the ColorMunki software able to communicate with the monitor via Dell's dodgy DDC implementation? If yes, the software will set the luminance automatically by adjusting the Brightness control. (Of course, it still can't address the U2410's internal LUT)

How would I be able to tell if the software is able to communicate with the monitor?

X-Rite indicates that the ColorMunki supports DDC monitors. I have the option for DDC calibration enabled in the preferences as well as the option to "achieve display luminance value using video LUT's"

When I perform the factory reset, the U2410 is set to 50 Brightness, 50 Contrast and the Color Preset Mode is set to Standard. There is no ability to view or change RGB levels under the Standard color mode.

Poe
30th of April 2011 (Sat), 03:58
You should be able to get them reasonably close, but you won't get different screens to display identical without matching the better screen to the lesser one (if the software supports that).
Also, for a dual screen setup, you need a video card with a dual LUT.

I am currently using a Radeon 4350 in my desktop. I think this has a dual LUT but the specifications on ATI's website doesn't specifically state dual LUTs.

ChasP505
30th of April 2011 (Sat), 13:22
How would I be able to tell if the software is able to communicate with the monitor?

X-Rite indicates that the ColorMunki supports DDC monitors. I have the option for DDC calibration enabled in the preferences as well as the option to "achieve display luminance value using video LUT's"...

If the ColorMunki software was able to achieve a DDC link with your U2410, it would notify you. Dell is notorious for listing DDC in its monitor specs, but no calibration software is able to communicate with it. The reason is, Dell uses non-industry standard DDC and does not release the proprietary coding to the calibration software suppliers. Additionally, it's different from one Dell monitor model to the next.

Well, if you reset to factory default settings, the RGBs would be at default levels. Personally, I would use the Custom Color mode rather than Standard, so you have access to the RGB controls.

Brikwall
30th of April 2011 (Sat), 20:08
Will the Color Eyes software work with the Spyder 2 puck?

I have Spyder 2 Suite that I've used for a couple of years now to successfully calibrate my CRT. However, I just purchased a U2410 and want to be able to calibrate it when it arrives. I'm wondering, therefore, if I can save some money by using the existing Spyder 2 puck and just downloading the CEDP software, or if I have to upgrade to the Spyder 3 puck instead.

If I do have to upgrade the puck, I guess this might be the best way top go? http://www.vistek.ca/store/ComputerAccessories/241693/integrated-color-coloreyes-display-pro-spyder-3-bundle.aspx. I'm looking at $200 CDN for the Spyder 3 Pro, or $290 CDN for the Elite plus $175 for the CEDP software...

EDIT: Checked the CEDP website and they do indeed support the Spyder 2 puck. Have registered for their forums, so I'll hopefully get more info there.

ChasP505
1st of May 2011 (Sun), 17:52
Will the Color Eyes software work with the Spyder 2 puck?

Yeah, but the Spyder2 is not as competent as the Spyder3 for current LCDs. Find a used Spyder3 Express for around $30-$50 USD.

Poe
2nd of May 2011 (Mon), 13:27
If the ColorMunki software was able to achieve a DDC link with your U2410, it would notify you. Dell is notorious for listing DDC in its monitor specs, but no calibration software is able to communicate with it. The reason is, Dell uses non-industry standard DDC and does not release the proprietary coding to the calibration software suppliers. Additionally, it's different from one Dell monitor model to the next.

Well, if you reset to factory default settings, the RGBs would be at default levels. Personally, I would use the Custom Color mode rather than Standard, so you have access to the RGB controls.

I've reset to factory default settings, set the backlight brightness to 30 and let the ColorMunki calibrate it like that.

I did notice that by setting the monitor to the "warm" color preset mode, that the luminance measured by the Munki drops enough that I might be able to reach the target of 120 Cd/m2 and stay above 10.

I can also calibrate on the custom color preset, but so far, the Munki hasn't provided me a GUI for adjusting the RGB channels individually. It could be that it doesn't since I have it set to provide a D65 white balance. In my past dealings with the Spyder system, it offered a GUI to adjust the RGB brightness values individually.

ChasP505
2nd of May 2011 (Mon), 15:02
I can also calibrate on the custom color preset, but so far, the Munki hasn't provided me a GUI for adjusting the RGB channels individually. It could be that it doesn't since I have it set to provide a D65 white balance. In my past dealings with the Spyder system, it offered a GUI to adjust the RGB brightness values individually.

OK... bottom line-- After calibration with Brightness at 30, do your prints match the softproofed image on your screen?

Poe
3rd of May 2011 (Tue), 14:28
OK... bottom line-- After calibration with Brightness at 30, do your prints match the softproofed image on your screen?

I did a test print last night. The print matches the screen very well in terms of brightness (i.e. the print is not significantly lighter or darker than the screen). The color fidelity is somewhat lacking. I may try custom profiling the photo paper I'm using with the Munki to see if I can get better results over the provided paper profile in my Canon 9000Mk2 driver.

queenbee288
4th of May 2011 (Wed), 11:06
I have this monitor and calibrated with gretag eyeone. I didnt have much trouble. I could not get to 120 Cd/m2 but I got to around 119 which is close enough. I also found that to reach this setting I had to adjust the contrast.

Brikwall
21st of May 2011 (Sat), 08:56
Well, after reading through this thread a number of times, and downloading CEDP trial, I was able to get my new U2410 calibrated. It took a number of tries, gradually reducing both brightness and, later, contrast, but I was able to reach 120.7 Cd/m2. As for the colours, they are bang-on. Prints are still just a shade darker, but just barely. I was able to do it using my Spyder2 puck, so didn't have to invest in any new hardware or software to complete the calibration.

Thanks to everyone who posted both their advice and their experiences to this thread. It made my work a whole lot easier!

Poe
26th of May 2011 (Thu), 01:32
So, I was watching a webinar from X-Rite on how to calibrate your monitor/printer with the ColorMunki. In it, the narrator recommends using a target brightness of 80 cd/m^2 rather than 120. Is 80 better for prints? I haven't had much trouble with 120 and it seems to be a typical value, not 80.

Anyway, I was searching this forum regarding the 80 luminance when I came across links to these two "test" pages:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_gradient.htm

So I had to try them out with my U2410.

Whatever calibration my Munki did sucks! It doesn't begin to differentiate gray levels until the change from step 3 to step 4 in the first link, with a somewhat pronounced band in the deep midtones on the 2nd link.

But if I change the monitor RGB preset to either sRGB or Adobe RGB, I am able to see differences in all 23 levels and nearly all of the gradients on the 2nd link with the pronounced band gone.

Does this mean my Munki got the gamma wrong when doing the calibration under the Standard monitor preset? If not, what does it mean?

René Damkot
26th of May 2011 (Thu), 11:14
You did see this line?
Do not be surprised if your monitor can not show the darkest patches or if several successive steps appear equally bright. Only the best monitors that are also well calibrated will distinguish between all patches. As mentioned above, a typical monitor in a dimly lit room will not show anything until level 5-8.

If you're able to see step 3, that's quite okay IMO.

If I set my Eizo CG223W to emulate sRGB, I can see (1,1,1). If I set it to use the native gamut (about AdobeRGB), I can't see anything to about (4,4,4). No explanation for that from the top of my head...

There are not that many screens out there that will run well on a low brightness as 80 Cd/m^2.

ChasP505
26th of May 2011 (Thu), 11:46
So, I was watching a webinar from X-Rite on how to calibrate your monitor/printer with the ColorMunki. In it, the narrator recommends using a target brightness of 80 cd/m^2 rather than 120. Is 80 better for prints? I haven't had much trouble with 120 and it seems to be a typical value, not 80.

Many (most) consumer level monitors are not engineered to operate at a luminance of level of 80cd/m2. A high end Eizo model can, but I would not run a Dell U2410 lower than 100cd/m2.

And... the luminance value you have your monitor set to is largely driven by the ambient light level of your workspace. I can name a list of major color management and Adobe experts who have stated many times that they work at 140cd/m2 and higher.

Methodical
25th of November 2011 (Fri), 15:19
Ok everyone in here who've calibrated and used the Dell U2410, how has it been the last 6 months or so for you? Do you still have the monitor?

I am considering this monitor, the Dell U2414 and the HP ZR24w and just need to get some real world opnions on this monitor. With my current monitor, I use the standard gamut color space, so I don't know if going the wide-gamut route will create problems for me or be better for me, but I see with this monitor, I can go either standard or full gamut and that's one of the appealing aspect of this monitor; I can grow into the larger color space. I have the Asus gtx 560 card if that helps.

1. Can I use my i1 Display 2 to calibrate the wide-gamut color space on this monitor or will I need different software and/or hardware?

2.I also plan to game a bit with this unit, so has anyone use it for some light gaming? If so, how did it work?

3. Is a non-LED ISP monitor better to have over an LED monitor? Is it more difficult to calibrate an LED monitor?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks...Al

guruaner
3rd of January 2013 (Thu), 16:06
Whatever calibration my Munki did sucks! It doesn't begin to differentiate gray levels until the change from step 3 to step 4 in the first link, with a somewhat pronounced band in the deep midtones on the 2nd link.

But if I change the monitor RGB preset to either sRGB or Adobe RGB, I am able to see differences in all 23 levels and nearly all of the gradients on the 2nd link with the pronounced band gone.

Does this mean my Munki got the gamma wrong when doing the calibration under the Standard monitor preset? If not, what does it mean?

I have pretty same troubles with my colormunki photo. To get 120cd/m2 I have to pull the brightness to 0 till 8 ... Also the calibration results are not reproducible. I've done several calibration attempts guided by the x-rite phone support. The final two were: we reseted the monitor to the factory preset and deactivated DDC (in the monitor and colormunki settings) and started the profiling. Chosen manual 120cd/m2 and deactivated the ambient light settings. Profiled the monitor. This we've done twice (identical settings, identical procedure). The first profile was over saturated and reddish. The second was much better, but totally different to the first one. The support told me to replace the colormunki (or the monitor). Is I read your posts and some posts on other forums I guess this is an issue of the colormunki ...

Poe, did you found a solution? And which operation system do you use (I'm on OSX)?

butterfly2937
3rd of January 2013 (Thu), 21:33
I am using the spyder 4 elite to calibrate my Dell U2410 and in expert mode I got excellent results setting a white luminance at 100 and white point 6500K Gamma 2.2. I got DeltaE for white point 0.9 and 50% gray 0.3 and complete color accuracy test of Delta E from 0.3 to 3.1. Make sure you calibrate in custom mode so you can adjust Gain. I am getting 100% Adobe RGB after my calibration and colors have been very accurate. In my calibration Brightness is set to 5 and contrast at 58.

guruaner
4th of January 2013 (Fri), 13:24
Make sure you calibrate in custom mode so you can adjust Gain. I am getting 100% Adobe RGB after my calibration and colors have been very accurate. In my calibration Brightness is set to 5 and contrast at 58.

Before I called the support, my calibration was in custom mode, but had the same unreproducible results. Beside of that I'm still a bit confused about the pretty different Brightness settings. Anyway I'm now waiting for the replacement of my colormunki. If that attempt fails, I'm gonna replace the monitor. And if that fails too, I'm gonna to buy the spyder4 elite.

butterfly2937
5th of January 2013 (Sat), 18:28
Before I called the support, my calibration was in custom mode, but had the same unreproducible results. Beside of that I'm still a bit confused about the pretty different Brightness settings. Anyway I'm now waiting for the replacement of my colormunki. If that attempt fails, I'm gonna replace the monitor. And if that fails too, I'm gonna to buy the spyder4 elite.

Everyone ends up with slightly different setting because your setting will very depending on the ambient light you are working in. If you work in an area where the ambient changes slightly between day and night you may have to try a couple different calibration settings and go with the one that works best. I do get a slight variation in ambient where my work station is setup but I have found the calibration that works best for me and I re calibrate once a month just to keep my profile accurate. Make sure your monitor has been on for at least 30 minutes before calibrating it.

Poe
24th of October 2013 (Thu), 17:55
I have pretty same troubles with my colormunki photo. To get 120cd/m2 I have to pull the brightness to 0 till 8 ... Also the calibration results are not reproducible. I've done several calibration attempts guided by the x-rite phone support. The final two were: we reseted the monitor to the factory preset and deactivated DDC (in the monitor and colormunki settings) and started the profiling. Chosen manual 120cd/m2 and deactivated the ambient light settings. Profiled the monitor. This we've done twice (identical settings, identical procedure). The first profile was over saturated and reddish. The second was much better, but totally different to the first one. The support told me to replace the colormunki (or the monitor). Is I read your posts and some posts on other forums I guess this is an issue of the colormunki ...

Poe, did you found a solution? And which operation system do you use (I'm on OSX)?

Haven't given this issue much attention lately, so no solution yet. I run windows 7 pro 64-bit.

Poe
24th of October 2013 (Thu), 17:56
Everyone ends up with slightly different setting because your setting will very depending on the ambient light you are working in. If you work in an area where the ambient changes slightly between day and night you may have to try a couple different calibration settings and go with the one that works best. I do get a slight variation in ambient where my work station is setup but I have found the calibration that works best for me and I re calibrate once a month just to keep my profile accurate. Make sure your monitor has been on for at least 30 minutes before calibrating it.

I may look into the spyder4.

butterfly2937
26th of October 2013 (Sat), 20:22
I may look into the spyder4.

I have the Spyder 4 Elite and I have had very good luck with it both on the Dell monitor U2410 and my Lenovo W530 laptop.

Methodical
27th of October 2013 (Sun), 06:32
I use the Color Munki photo for this monitor and it looks good, but my new main monitor for editing is the Dell 30".

Poe
28th of October 2013 (Mon), 17:01
I have the Spyder 4 Elite and I have had very good luck with it both on the Dell monitor U2410 and my Lenovo W530 laptop.

I'm wondering how much has improved with the new i1Display puck. The i1Photo 2 and i1Publish 2 packages looks really nice.

I use the Color Munki photo for this monitor and it looks good, but my new main monitor for editing is the Dell 30".

I just calibrated my U2410 again last night after I let it warm up for about an hour. It's been a few months since the last calibration. It was running warm on the white balance when clicking the 'before and after' buttons at the end of the calibration to see the difference. I'll have to try calibrating again and see if it stays the same or shifts in WB again.

I bought a U2412M to make it my primary monitor for web browsing and use the U2410 as a 2nd display essentially for running lightroom at full screen and editing photos. A 30" ultrasharp would be nice to get the extra height for editing images that are in portrait orientation. I think I saw the U3014 for a bit over $1k on amazon the other day.

Methodical
28th of October 2013 (Mon), 20:04
Using the color munki to calibrate the monitor and printer at the same time has made the job of printing so much easier now.