PDA

View Full Version : London explosions

tommykjensen
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 03:49
Just heard that several explosions have hit London :(

I hope all POTN members from London as well as their families are well.

Moppie
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 03:55
Theres very little info, the BBC has a very vague story so far: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4659093.stm

Hope everyones alright.
My brother is living in London somewhere, Ill see if my parents have his number and if he knows anything.

tim
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 04:06
Holy crap, it's looking pretty big. The underground is shot down according to CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/index.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4659093.stm

Big_B
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 04:08
Latest reports suggest at least 10 explosions, including 1 or more bus explosions.

We've been advised to stay in our building until further notice.

I hope that everyone and their families are ok.

Muzz
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 04:10
This is our 9/11

Moppie
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 04:13
Thier talking about "explosive devices" now.

Hope you've got your camera at work Big B.

tim
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 04:18
Guy I know is on MSN, he says it's business as usual, and people there are used to it and just get on with it. Very odd.

Moppie
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 04:23
Well its all over the BBC on chnl1 and Skynews on chnl3 here, and it dosnt look like bussiness as usual to me.
There are guys getting into hazmat gear, and reports that army bomb disposal are getting involved.

Confirmed 2 deaths, and at least 90 injuries.

My mother is calling my brother now, he's living in central London, is he knows anything she'll call me back (assuming he wasn't on a train).

Wazza
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 04:25
Another sad day. :(

I've got lots of family around London/Kent. :(

I'm hoping their ok, and know of several friends etc, who travel via the chube to work.

Let's hope POTN are also all ok, and doing their best at photojournalism, on this terrifying day.

Pekka
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 05:17
Terrible.

Claire
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 05:18
Hoping everyone who's around London is ok and same with your family and friends. I heard about it when I woke up and just finished recing BBC and Sky News website. Texted my friend and he said his sister is fine and trying to get to their parents place. Will email my other friends when I get the chance.

I think people who live in London are used to living under possible terrorist threats, but this seems to be out of the ordinary. So many places hit at the same time. Heard on the radio there are rumours a bomb has been found, but the police hasn't confirmed it.

I love London, but have to admit I'm happy not to be there today. I used to live not far from Liverpool St and Edgeware road. My poor parents would have been going nuts by now! Once again, hope everyone out there is ok.

foxbat
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 05:31
I'm in London at Canary Wharf. They've sealed off the estate to vehicles and security is VERY obvious. Nothing seems to have happened here although there are rumours going around. North and East of the city is where all the damage seems to be.

Belmondo
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 05:33
My heart goes out to all who are affected by this.

We are not dealing with rational people, and it's only going to get worse until something is done about it.

tonytony
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 05:40
This is so terrible. More than 70 deaths at this stage... and the number is growing :cry:
It really is the British 9/11. What a sad day. I can't believe it...:cry: :evil:

I hope all of you guys are fine and I wish only the best to the family of those involved.

There isn't much to say, just an incredible sadness and rage.

Tony

iSellJerseyShore
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 05:51
This is so terrible. More than 70 deaths at this stage... and the number is growing :cry:
It really is the British 9/11. What a sad day. I can't believe it...:cry: :evil:

I hope all of you guys are fine and I wish only the best to the family of those involved.

There isn't much to say, just an incredible sadness and rage.

Tony

Yes this is Terrible Event!!! **edit** CDS
My Prayers go out to all those in London!!!

-iSellJerseyShore

Claire
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 05:53
I haven't read/heard of that many deaths. From what I read they're not sure yet, but they know there are a lot of casualties. And now they say it's pretty sure it's a terrorist act.

EddieA
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 06:04
Hello everyone,
there are a reported 4 explosions, (three on a train, one on a bus) 150 casualties (no one's confirmed how many have died - but hopefully not many).
People in the area have been asked to stay in their buildings
Life is going on as much as possible.
An Al quaeda group has claimed responsibility but officials say a number of groups will probably claim responsibility.
My partner is in the area but is OK.
Best wishes to you all.

328iGuy
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 06:46
All the best and keep safe to everyone in the London region. We are all thinking of you at this time! :(

Leorooster
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 06:51
Hope everyone in London is okay. Sad.....sad......sad.........

EoSD30fReAk
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 06:53
horrible! the best to everyone there!:cry:

Tomasz Dziechciarz
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:15
I have scheduled flight for tomorrrow to London Luton ......!!!!!

Wow .. I must consider this ... nooo .... I am going....

CyberDyneSystems
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:21
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Devestated..

jfrancho
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:26
This is terrible news. One cannot consider each isolated event and compare them. If one combines all acts of a group as one crime against humanity, then the scope of their sin is clear. Very sad day indeed. On a side note, I find it interesting how quickly news spreads when one of our western cities suffers such a tragedy, yet every day there are other tragedies occurring in parts of the world that may not seem newsworthy. Let's try to keep the rest of the world in our thoughts and prayers as we mourn London's loss.

Tom W
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:30
Horrible - prayers to all & their families. :(

Tomasz, stay safe. You'll be OK.

bolantej
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:40
everyone be safe.

Big_B
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:45
Very sad day indeed. On a side note, I find it interesting how quickly news spreads when one of our western cities suffers such a tragedy, yet every day there are other tragedies occurring in parts of the world that may not seem newsworthy. Let's try to keep the rest of the world in our thoughts and prayers as we mourn London's loss.

Well said

nosquare2003
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:49
:(

PeaPicker
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 07:55
:( Madness!

JET_PILOT
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 08:00
Can't beleive this has actually happened today of all days.

My wife went there on bsiness last night with work, thanks the lord she has phoned me this morning to say she is ok.

She was sitting in one of the coffee shops at the time of the attacks.

Thoughts and Prayers for everyone affected by this sad day :(

CyberDyneSystems
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 08:03
Oh lord... you must have been panicked :(

Very glad to hear she is o-kay..

Grief stricken about this.. I love you Crazy Brits.. :(

witchy
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 08:04
I have been watching this on the news here tonight in Australia. This is terrible. I have lots of family in England, I am waiting to hear that everyone is OK. I truely hope POTN members and their family and friends are all safe. Very sad :(

Tom W
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 08:37
I"ve got the news on as well - my response is rather politically incorrect so I'll keep it to myself.
What has happened here is terrible and uncalled for.

mdclaros
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 08:40
This is so sad. My best to all england. We feel for you and your family members.

benhasajeep
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 08:49
I am sorry for those of you affected by this. You don't have to be injured by it to be affected. I hope you, your family, and friends are safe.

lordjim
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 08:51
Very very sad day. Our thoughts are all with you in London. Our prayers too.

JET_PILOT
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 09:35
Oh lord... you must have been panicked :(

Very glad to hear she is o-kay..

Grief stricken about this.. I love you Crazy Brits.. :(

Thanks for your comments , she is fine.

Driving down to the out-skirts of London this evening to pick her up.

etaf
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 09:44
should be able to get the latest info from here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/

terrible - **EDIT** CDS ...and I hope everyone is OK

cmM
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 09:45
a very sad day :(
I agree with Belmondo, something needs to be done with these heartless murderers. There's no chance for a diplomatic solution when dealing with these savages.
I hope all the POTN members and families are OK, you're all im my thoughts.

Andy D
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 09:45
As a Brit (and a Londoner, but no longer living in the city) I thank my fellow forum members for their messages of support. Latest news here is that we have lost at least 33 innocent lives in the attacks on the underground. The police have not confirmed any fatalities on the Bus in Woburn place. Some reports indicate that suicide bombers were responsible, deliberately setting off devices whilst trains were passing each other. One report tells of 3 trains being hit by one bomb.

insomnia
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 09:50
This is terrible news. One cannot consider each isolated event and compare them. If one combines all acts of a group as one crime against humanity, then the scope of their sin is clear. Very sad day indeed. On a side note, I find it interesting how quickly news spreads when one of our western cities suffers such a tragedy, yet every day there are other tragedies occurring in parts of the world that may not seem newsworthy. Let's try to keep the rest of the world in our thoughts and prayers as we mourn London's loss.

I have to agree, it is always terrible when innocent people are killed. It's a shame what is and has been happening all over the world....

blue_max
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 09:58
It goes with the territory when you have lived under the IRA bomb threats for years. I guess you can get used to anything. I couldn't get to the tube platform this morning but would have travelled. It would almost be better if it went unreported, as this publicity is just what they want. While shocking, to me, it is nothing like 9-11. That was shocking.

Thank you for all your concern folks.

Graham

Penance
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 10:19
A very scary day. Have been trying to contact a friend working in central London.
I just got through to him, he says it is mayhem and carnage

cfcRebel
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 10:42
My heart goes out to those who are affected by this sad incident. :(
Amitofo.

pjd83
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 10:49
From the news just now, they don't know if it was suicide bombers and police have stated they "don't know if its over yet". Tony Blair has made quite a moving speech too.

It is a sad day for Britain. What with the G8 summit and also winning the Olympic Bid too.

My thoughts are with the families and people that have been caught up in this cowardly and disgusting act of terrorism affecting innocent lives.

Dave_G
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 10:50
I have scheduled flight for tomorrrow to London Luton ......!!!!!

Wow .. I must consider this ... nooo .... I am going....

Luton. 30 miles North of Central London.

IanD
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 10:55
The madness will not stop until all the madmen are gone.
Our prayers go out to all those affected.

RichardtheSane
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 11:08
I'm a Brit but not a londoner
But I do have some friends there. My best friends husband is travelling back on the tube / train today, we have heard he was near enough to feel the shockwave but not hurt.
Also two friends work above baker street station and are part of the emergency response team, also OK and are now helping with the rescue efforts.
It has been a long day wondering if friends are OK, thankyou to POTN for your words of support. I'm not from Londona nd I appriciate them, I'm sure londoners will too.

karusel
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 11:22
This is insane...

I seriously suspect that the motives for this are economic. Somebody wants to push Europe in recession. It's only been a few months since the stocks were gaining a steady increase and now this low punch. Not to mention the oil prices the war in Iraq caused. Why can't people live in peace?

johndm
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 11:23
Thanks to all for your words.

We are currently told over 700 injured and 37 dead...so far.

A very sad day in Britain

:cry:

MadMesh
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 11:52
Im in the USA, but i lived in london. I was shocked to hear the news from my mom this morning... I also have family there, hopefully everyone is ok... Indeed this is their 9/11, hopefully they catch the sons of bitches that did it!

scottbergerphoto
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 12:01
My prayers and condolances go out to all of our members with family or friends killed or injured in todays terrorist attacks. Violence justified by religious fanaticism is rapidly changing the world we live in. Each of us in our own countries will have to make some hard choices in the near future. Many freedoms we take for granted may become luxuries we can no longer afford. We must be resolute in our repudiation of terrorism and religious fanaticism.

Jonny
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 12:03
Indeed this is their 9/11,

Well to be perfectly honest if this is our 9/11 then i think we have to consider ourselves lucky.
As terrible as it is, i think we can expect around 100 dead when the dust settles, this is no where near what the people on NYC had to deal with. I only just said to my Mrs that it could be a hell of a lot worse.

NYC
Bali
Madrid

I think if this is the extent of the attack we should count our lucky stars.

One day the bastards responable will get their justice whether it be here on earth or on the other side. They will get theirs.

stoneylonesome
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 12:52
My prayers and condolances go out to all of our members with family or friends killed or injured in todays terrorist attacks. Violence justified by religious fanaticism is rapidly changing the world we live in. Each of us in our own countries will have to make some hard choices in the near future. Many freedoms we take for granted may become luxuries we can no longer afford. We must be resolute in our repudiation of terrorism and religious fanaticism.

I cannot agree with you more, We must now more than ever stay the course.

Skip Souza
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:17
My prayers and heartfelt sympathy to all involved in this cowardly attack on our cousins. :cry:

johndm
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:22
Now 39 confirmed dead..:cry:

samdring
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:37
Tragedy, meaningless, heartbreaking
....but amazing how many of us turn here at times like this

dewmuw
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:42
I was due in London today but cancelled yesterday. However it is now 8.37pm and I have only just been able to account for all 120 people in my office in London. Worst day of my life - I've had to drive to Birmingham and back to be at our emergency office fall back position. I've never been so anxious waiting for calls.

My heart goes out to all those who have died and have been injured and their families and loved one. I have a friend who is still unaccounted for - please pray for him.

We remain free. London and the UK will never wilt to terrorism. Please, if you were planning to visit the UK, still come. Send the message to these cowards that they cannot change us or alter our lives.

foxbat
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:42
For once I've been impressed with the response of the authorities on this one, once they decided to reopen most of the public transport we were able to get home quite easily and there will be some service on the underground tomorrow. We can't let this scum think they've won. I've got more respect for stuff I scrape off my shoes than this crowd. I'll be out drinking in central london as usual tomorrow night.

Penance
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:46
dewmuw, well said!
The constitution of British people is way straonger than theirs. We have been through much worse and we will do it again.

exposingmyself
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:54

aam1234
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 13:59
In my book, England is THE land of the free. They fought the Vikings, they were occupied by the Romans. They had a long fight with Napoleon, but they won at the end.

They just re-enacted Trafalgar the other day. Long live Nelson I say.

England is the land of the free. That's for sure.

Edit: Non-Englishman's attempt at poetry :o

Claire
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 14:01
I'm personally very careful about labelling something "the new/our 9/11". The words are being used too quickly in many instances. When the tsunami hit all the Swedish papers and all Swedes named it "Sweden's 9/11" due to the number of dead Swedes. Personally I think that's b.s. as that was nature doing the talking. With the bombs is London it's different and I definitely understand and agree more with the comparison in this case.

Hugs to everyone in the UK.

dannym
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 14:08
Our thoughts and prayers for everyone there.

chris.bailey
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 14:21
We remain free. London and the UK will never wilt to terrorism. Please, if you were planning to visit the UK, still come. Send the message to these cowards that they cannot change us or alter our lives.

I'll second those thoughts.

I had several staff in the London area today and all accounted for thank god though the lack of mobile phones for an hour or two made for some anxious moments.

Learner
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 14:46
My Prayers and thoughts are with all of you in London. Very sad day this is.

CyberPet
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 14:52
First of all: I hope all you who have family and live in London and UK are safe and will be safe.

Secondly: There will always be mad men, who has no empathy or respect of human life. I doesn't matter what political agenda they have. The scary part is that some seem to think it's about religion, but it's all about politics (and some religion is very political). So my point is, there's no way to get rid of all mad men who do things like this. Terrorism is nothing new that was born on september 11, it's a lot older than that and England knows it, the Spanish knows it, the Germans knows it, and many other European countries, as well as other countries in the world.

Hopefully we won't give in to terrorists so they have to re-think their agenda. They sure don't get the empathy from those realtives to those who died in NYC 2001, or in London today... or from any of us who watch these horrors.

Michaelmjc
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 14:53
That is so awful !

I hope Canada is not next, my condolences are with the families.

aam1234
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 15:05
Annan says London blasts are 'attack on humanity itself'

Agree.

Claire
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 15:08
Speculations are that Italy, Poland and Denmark may be next.

As CyberPet said, terrorism isn't something new. The sad part is that because of some idiots (at this point seems to be islamic fundamentalists), they give the rest a bad reputation. I have a feeling the Muslim community in London and everywhere else will be looked upon worse and worse.

Every time gets their labelled "villains" it seems. It's quite easy to see who was labelled the villains of various times. Just look in various movies and TV shows. Before the bad guys were Japanese, Russian, German and now they're all muslim. I just hope there are enough people out there who knows how to seperate the bad apples from the good ones.

bachscuttler
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 16:44
Hopefully people are sensible and intelligent enough not to tar everybody with the same brush.

I had reason to visit a Muslim College in Manchester UK shortly after 9/11 and was very distressed to see that all the mousemats in the office (about 5 of them) had an image of the twin towers on them and also overheard some misguarded comments.

Speak to the average Muslim on the street though and they will openly condemn these atrocities.

We as ordinary citizens are all at some time or another hated for the actions and beliefs of our governments and religions...hated enough for people we have never met to want to kill us or our loved ones.

I can't begin to understand the thought patterns of people of any race or culture that are prepared to go this far to further their cause.

Another sad day and I suspect there will be more to come and who knows where?

shiato storm
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 18:10
my dad was late in leaving for work, heard the radio and thought; nope!
lucky escape.

felix21685
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 18:39
been following the news on television and online..
what a sad day. just goes to show..some days you have bad days but someones might be alot worse...
my prayers go out to all family and friends of you guys in the UK..

Damian hopefully your friend will be alright..let us know when you hear anything.

smudge
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 18:43
Firstly, apart from the deaths which are needless and a real tragedy, it hasn't been that bad. Everyone has been super cool. No less than I would've expected.

Sorry to speak about cameras n stuff, but well this a photography forum I spose...

Thanks for everyones kind words...

I've been working really late this week, got in at 05 of the AM last night, only to be shook violently at 10:00 by the wife to say..." they've bombed Russell Square..." I fly out of bed grab camera bag no shower no coffee...into town. Arrive at the closest point I can drive to. Make my way to the cordon...whip out my camera and decide, I'm too scared to go manual, I mean it's hardly art and besides there's so much to think about...so I set it to full auto...repeats to self over and over...who, what, where, who, what, where. Take one shot, a kind of warmer nothing too serious.

Panick...I'd better put on the battery grip now just in case I run out of power at the wrong time...starts to screw in BG...feels stiff, CROSS THREAD... OMFG...can't get it on, can't get it off...it's stuck...being a new boy at all this I have no backup...I have three flashguns four lenses four batteries a laptop a monopod and various ancilliaries all in my lowepro comptrekker back pack but no backup...A nice t.v lady sees me swearing and says, quick theyre bringing out some casualties...there's a mass of activity and everyone rushes to the tape to see and report on the convoy of ambulances that I should have been able to shoot. I decide that **** the BG I'll smash it off and I'll still be able to put the standard batt( I had in the first place) back and maybe I'll get some shots.

COULD I BREAK IT OFF...could I heckers like. Another reporter type lady comes over and say's..." I've got a story...this boy has cycled 14 miles in the rain because his brothers in there...can you take his pic....AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH..." sorry " say's I, "equipment failure"
offered a job there on the spot...good grief...I hate luck...especially when it's bad.

After an hour and a half of trying with my swiss army to turn the thread I asked a displaced builder to cut it off with a hacksaw...by this point it was 13:00 and it was all over.

So now I have a BG -E2 thats kind of beyond warranty repair, a nice hacksaw scrape on the bottom of my camera, a cut on my left hand ( swiss army knives) and one lowsy and I do mean lowsy photo.

Still could be worse...I could have been on the tube midway between kings cross and Russel Sq at 0900.

bakpakka
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 19:16
Oh nooo... smudge, you would have captured more than one moment, I'm sure.

My heart goes out to the victims of the bombing, first...
And also to your wrecked equipment. What a darn case of the Murphy, it is.

I guess even a backup point and shoot would have worked in a situation like that.

ssim
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 20:39
What a senseless and cowardice act. My prayers and well wishes for those in Britian.

JMAS
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 20:58
Unfortunately, words won't suffice.

This has nothing to do with poorness or freedom fighting. African nations would be top terrorists if it were the case.
This is religious fanatism along with the support of few cowards that expect to maintain current power and wealth.

For what is worth, I offer my sincere condolances to all affected by this tragedy.

TammieO
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 20:58
Group hug and prayers for all of our friends in the UK. Keep safe!

SidW
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 21:34
I've never personally been close to any act of terrorism yet I can well imagine what those poor people must be going through.

My heartfelt sympathies to all affected.

Sid

Maureen Souza
7th of July 2005 (Thu), 21:38
What a sad and senseless act. No matter how big or how small, it is just terrible. My heart is with all of you in the UK and I pray you stay safe.

witchy
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 00:24
Thankfully we have heard from all our family in England and everyone is OK and accounted for.
I have been following the news, they last said 52 dead and over 1,000 injured. I am praying and thinking of everyone on this sad day.

Rigrider
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 02:36
As everyone else, my thoughts are with all of you affected by this sensless act.

and Smudge: can you post you one lousy pic? lol. Sorry about the luck mate.

L8r,

dewmuw
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 02:55
My mate turned up at 10.30pm last night. Had walked home. His mobile had been flat when he left home and he was going to charge it when he got to work - never made it. He left his wife near Aldgate Station so can imagine he had the worst day until he found her.

I was in Manchester when the bomb went off there. Manchester came back stronger, brighter and better.

London will come back stronger, brighter and better.

Big_B
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 03:18
Thank god he found her. I was fortunate to be able to reach my fiancee by a landline. I can only imagine how horrible it would have been if I was unable to contact her.

CyberPet
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 05:35
I'm glad everyone here seem to have found their loved ones. Still is sad to imagine the sadness (and anger) those who lost a relative yesterday morning feels today.

tommykjensen
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 05:40
In Denmark we are already seeing security being upgraded. This morning Copenhagen's bussiest trainstation was closed while police investigated a bag left behind. It turned out to be todays newspaper!

Rob612
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 06:08
Speculations are that Italy, Poland and Denmark may be next.

True. And if the number of folks every country has over there counts, I think that we may be next, I'm not sure about how many people we have there - albeit I know that thy are really a lot - but I do have a lot of my closest friends in that part of the world.

My prayers to all England. My bullets to these bastards. I am trying to plan a trip to UK (that I do not need to do) just to be part of those that do not give up.

Big_B
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 07:04
I thought I'd post some photos from wednesday's Olympic win as a reminder that life isn't all bad in London.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84130

PhotosGuy
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 09:03
I'm sorry that it's happened to you guys. "Stiff upper lip", and all that! You've been there before, & sadly, we all will again. :cry:

Claire
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 16:01
Happy everyone here is ok and their families too. I sent out a bunch of emails to friends and such yesterday. Heard from majority of them and things seem to be fine. "Business as usual" as both of the British ones said. :)
A female friend of mine who's Muslim said she felt terrible about it, but her loved ones are fine. Now she is worried that the trust in the Muslim society will go down again. After 11/9 she has felt it dwindle and that it's taken the society four years to gain back the trust of people, and now this happens. She's concerned it'll make things harder for all Muslims.

smudge
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 18:20
As everyone else, my thoughts are with all of you affected by this sensless act.

and Smudge: can you post you one lousy pic? lol. Sorry about the luck mate.

L8r,

Your a cruel man to do this to me...but here you go...I had just walked up to the first cordon, set my camera to auto, took a random shot just to see what it was gonna come out like. It was at this point I had my brainwave about putting mt BG E2 on....DOH

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL581/2631269/5244917/103770132.jpg

rstuntz
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 18:32
Everyone here will be thining about and praying for London.

marie
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 18:47
that is a very good photo Smudge
it seems to say it all.
desolation

it was just heartbreaking hearing the news filtering in yesterday morning
it's such a shock to hear of anyone being killed, for any 'reason'
everyone is somebody's child / loved one
we love London and visit as often as possible

(son lives and works in London for many years
but not near where all this happened)

good wipes out evil
replacing evil deeds with good deeds (wherever we are) will help spread the goodness needed to fight evil
evil deeds are done to cause as much confusion and hatred as possible, amongst all of us ..
keep love and kindness in hearts
and goodness will win

smudge
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 18:56
Hi Marie, very wise words. Harder to do in reality.

You might think it an ok phot. However that day was going to be my first photo journo attempt. The scene at that tape about 30 mins after this shot would have been more like what I was trying to capture.

A convoy of ambulances coming from Russell Sq tube stn escorted by motorcycle outriders, with the chaos of the camera crews and media circus.

However at that point I was sawing away with a swiss army(at my hand)

marie
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 19:14
Hi Marie, very wise words. Harder to do in reality.

You might think it an ok phot. However that day was going to be my first photo journo attempt. The scene at that tape about 30 mins after this shot would have been more like what I was trying to capture.
A convoy of ambulances coming from Russell Sq tube stn escorted by motorcycle outriders, with the chaos of the camera crews and media circus.
However at that point I was sawing away with a swiss army(at my hand)

I understand what you say smudge but believe me, you would not have captured any of it in a photo like it would have been in reality

it's all been on tv non stop. all the pictures of scenes as much as they could show
but your single picture tells a huge story ....with feeling.
that fellow standing there

seems to show how we all feel
so helpless , when something like it happens to our fellow man,

that picture seems to sum it up .....
and without offending

Sean-Mcr
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 05:22
As has been said, when you live in a free society the price you must pay is being open to vicious and cowardly attacks. But we canít stop the way we live, Manchester my city was partially destroyed by a huge IRA bomb in 96. Terrorism is nothing new to the UK. But this is an all together different beast, and weíve all known it was going to happen sooner or later, a matter of when and not if.

Fundamentalism, and sadly itís possible that the perpetrators of this inhumane act are home grown . But itís not a reflection of Muslims in Britain, the vast majority of whom are every bit as disgusted and anguished as all of us.

Loss of life is loss of life, no matter the scale.

It will happen again sooner or later, but none of us can change the way we live. Itís what they want, to terrorise us. We canít let them change our way of life

neil_r
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 05:37
I am trying to plan a trip to UK (that I do not need to do) just to be part of those that do not give up.

If you do, I can take you on a cold dark dive in a quarry to show you british divers do it :D.

It is great to get all this support from around the world, but sooner or later these people will realise that you cannot change the way we live our lives by terrorising us. I am not sure if it is an exclusively British thing, but the more that is throw at us the more we will resist.

respect to all

N

bachscuttler
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 16:44
Tonight, 20,000 people have been evacuated from Birmingham (UK) City Centre due to intelligence received.

No traffic is being allowed past the inner ring road.

link here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4668313.stm)

andygrif
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 17:18
One people here might like to contribute to...and definitely one for us Londoners who ARE NOT AFRIAD!

http://www.werenotafraid.com/

A couple of my favourites.....

http://www.werenotafraid.com/images/new9/ThomasG.jpg[/url]

and

http://www.werenotafraid.com/images/new7/carinor.jpg[url="http://www.werenotafraid.com/images/new7/carinor.jpg"] (http://www.werenotafraid.com/images/new9/ThomasG.jpg)

Sean-Mcr
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 18:51
Manchester Piccadilly station was evacuated today and the area around it shut off due to a suitcase being left at the station. Everybody's understandable going to be on edge for some time.

We have to keep on keeping on

johnnybfan
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 21:25
Hey guys, Our thoughts and prayers are with you. It's sad that so few can hurt so many with no regard to the fact that we are all of the same race - human.
My daughter is in Kenya on a mission trip - she and three of her high school classmates and three teachers - to install computers in elementery schools north of Nairobi. Her return to home will take her through Heathrowe. I'm sure that we'll worry about her safety on her trip back home but we'll think mostly of an accident somewhere - not terrorists. If we let terrorists make us fear doing what we do every day - be it work, play, travel, anything - then they win. At least partially. It is still safe to do almost everything we want (within reason lol).
Terror, such as this, will never win the war that these people seem to be waging against the human race. Oh yeh, they may bomb us, but they won't beat us.
God be with all of you and with your families in this time of sorrow. We will keep you in our prayers.

SimonBl
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 22:45
Just a quick note to say that we're all feeling for you. It is heartning to see the good ol' British attitude coming through. Brings a tear to my eye. The b*st*ards responsible will get their day in the sun.

Simon....

Rob612
10th of July 2005 (Sun), 00:21
It is great to get all this support from around the world, but sooner or later these people will realise that you cannot change the way we live our lives by terrorising us. I am not sure if it is an exclusively British thing, but the more that is throw at us the more we will resist.

No, I do not think its an exclusively British thing. In a way or the other the Western countries are very similar. What those little b*s*ards do not think is that sooner or later we ALL will be fully exasperate about all this. And at that point all the politics that is behind this will become plain crap. And people and government will start working really together on the matter. The obvious conclusion will be a war, a big one. That we are going to win. It will cost lives and pain - but it will happen. I am not a pro war person at all, but enough is enough.

IMHO, for what is worth, there is no way to reason with these folks. The only language they understand is violence, and sooner or later we will be obliged to speak the same language and demosntrate (all the countries together, and in in a peace keeping mission) who has the muscles. Sad, really sad, but I do not see any other option. I hope to be wrong of course.

bachscuttler
10th of July 2005 (Sun), 02:52
I worked in Manchester when 3 of the bombs went off.

I lived near Warrington when the bomb went off.

I was in London with Police tape trapping us off in a cordon during a bomb scare

I arrived in Malaga Airport Spain 2 days after a bomb went off.

Will terrorists change my routine?...no way Hose :-P

sixshot
10th of July 2005 (Sun), 03:26
I heard about it a few hours after it happened from my mates at work, carrying on as usual. I suppose it is the only thing to do. We can't let these b*st**ds beat us. I hope all POTN members and their familes are ok.

Claire
10th of July 2005 (Sun), 16:52
My friend will be playing at the Hackney Spice music festival in London 21 July. She'll be flying to Sweden with Ryanair from Stansted. I'm not that worried about her, but does anyone know if the Stansted Express is running? Haven't heard anything about that. Over here they've only spoken about Heathrow.

Today I hear from a few more of my friends. One friend told me her work colleague's best friend was on the bus that blew up. Her work colleague is really devastated as the police has only found the friend's ID batch, but no body. According to Swedish newsreports no Swedes were killed or lost. In all honesty I find that pretty amazing if it's true. There are heaps of Swedes in London and many living around Edgware St. Should be some hurt at least.

andygrif
10th of July 2005 (Sun), 17:02
I worked in Manchester when 3 of the bombs went off.

I lived near Warrington when the bomb went off.

I was in London with Police tape trapping us off in a cordon during a bomb scare

I arrived in Malaga Airport Spain 2 days after a bomb went off.

Will terrorists change my routine?...no way Hose :-P

I don't mean to sound flippant, but could you tell me you're itinery for the next 20 years please!:)

bachscuttler
10th of July 2005 (Sun), 23:26
I don't mean to sound flippant, but could you tell me you're itinery for the next 20 years please!:)

I've a hundred witty humorous replies but they wouldn't be appropriate under the current climate ;)