PDA

View Full Version : Now pigs really will fly!

Big_B
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 03:18
In the London explosions thread, I noticed the following post

In my book, England is THE land of the free. They fought the Vikings, they were occupied by the Romans. They had a long fight with Napoleon, but they won at the end.

They just re-enacted Trafalgar the other day. Long live Nelson I say.

England is the land of the free. That's for sure.

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems : 9 Hours Ago at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling ;)

It seemed a little inappropriate to mention it in that thread, but CDS correcting someone else's spelling?! The world has become a strange place indeed :lol: :lol:

Maureen Souza
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 04:19
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 05:12
Thanks CDS. You must really like Nelson :D

CyberPet
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 06:32
But did the brits really win over the Vikings? *grins evil and pats her plate armour and hat with horns* :D

Danny Boy
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 15:40
What's wrong w/ CDS's speeling????

Pekka
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 17:54
Camoon. somethimes whne you write really ftas you can maeka mistjes.

KennyG
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 18:27
As half of we northern Brits are of Viking descent I think it was probably a case of our women preferring bearded guys with a better dress sense. The Romans gave us politics and plumbing, neither of which have worked well since they left. As far as Napoleon goes, we fight anything that comes from France and usually win (2012 is a good example).

Now, we are all faced with a common enemy who has no regard for human life, even its own. In WWII, London, and other British cities, survived far more than these cowards can throw at us. We are a tough lot, have never lost a fight and won't let a few extremists change our way of life. Life has to go on and not be governed by fear.

Let's see if CDS can spot a spelling mistake in the above.

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 19:37
Now, we are all faced with a common enemy who has no regard for human life, even its own. In WWII, London, and other British cities, survived far more than these cowards can throw at us. We are a tough lot, have never lost a fight and won't let a few extremists change our way of life. Life has to go on and not be governed by fear.

Well said! I'm not a Brit, but I can surely understand and salute that.

Now to SDC splning :D

Please note: My first language is not English nor I've read poetry in English. So imagine how challenging it is to write the above words. It was a spur of the moment thing.

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 19:56
Allow me to explain why I thought England is THE land of the free. It's a little silly story.

I was in a cab going somewhere. Then there was that magnificent and almost holy building as we passed by. I asked the cab driver "what's that building". He said "that's the house of Parliament". He also said "it was built in 1600's".
England got me right there!

Pekka
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 20:02
Allow me to explain why I thought England is THE land of the free. It's a little silly story.

I was in a cab going somewhere. Then there was that magnificent and almost holy building as we passed by. I asked the cab driver "what's that building". He said "that's the house of Parliament". He also said "it was built in 1600's".
England got me right there!

Unbroken heritage and awareness and appreciation of history is something that is quite astonishing in Europe in general. I buy a beer and it says the recipe was invented 1520, I go to a restaurant which was founded 1400... and it is part of daily life.

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 20:20
Too much personal info there. Have to delete.

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 20:40
So true Pekka.

I've been to restaurants in Europe that are older than a lot of countries.

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 20:57
Sorry, got the numbers backward. The House of Parliament was built in the 1300's. So it's 600 years old. That's six centuries ago. Can you imagine the depth of their democracy?

Belmondo
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 21:01
I go to a restaurant which was founded 1400... and it is part of daily life.

We just got back from 8 days on the road. I looked in the refrigerator, and I think there are some things in there from the grand opening of that restaurant. It looks like a quick trip to the grocery store is in order.

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 21:13
We just got back from 8 days on the road. I looked in the refrigerator, and I think there are some things in there from the grand opening of that restaurant. It looks like a quick trip to the grocery store is in order.

Sorry Belmondo, or as I used to call you JP :D

But these are the things that get me.

The comment above is so typical of the "new world". It's OK not to appreciate the "old world" but to make fun of it is slightly different, if you know what I mean.

CyberDyneSystems
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 22:34
I like Nelson... Don't spell his name wrong again!

:lol:

CyberDyneSystems
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 22:39
My respect for the British is similar aam..

. that little island has held it's own against enemies that managed to conquer most of Europe's land mass on more occasions than I can count....

The idea that a bunch of whiners with suitcase bombs think that they are going to make the British buckle is laughable.

...and if any nation is ever going to produce an individual with the constitution required to actually find a solution to the current issues the World is facing.. I'd say the chances are very strong in favor it'll be a crazy Brit. Forces of nature they are.. a Nelson,. a T.E. Lawrence or a Churchill... ;)

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 22:58
Yes CDS. Remember the empire that doesn't have the sun go down on her (or something like that, translating word-for-word from my own language).

No chance! these # @)^%$* can't change history.

Belmondo
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 23:27
Ahhhh. Maggie Thatcher.

That crazy hair. That funny and innocent smile. :lol:

skyphix
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 23:31
AS taken from RFC 1925, "The Twelve Networking Truths", fundamental truth 3.

(3) With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they
are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them
as they fly overhead.

aam1234
8th of July 2005 (Fri), 23:38
Don't mess around with Maggie Belmondo. You don't want to upset her, do you?

neil_r
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 01:12
Then there was that magnificent and almost holy building as we passed by. I asked the cab driver "what's that building". He said "that's the house of Parliament". He also said "it was built in 1600's". Don’t believe everything that a London cabby tells you, the current Houses of Parliament (The Palace of Westminster) [font=Verdana]was built between 1840 and 1888, this was the work of Charles Barry who designed the buildings to blend with nearby Westminster Abbey. However it stands on the site where Edward the Confessor had the original palace built in the first half of the eleventh century.

N

CyberDyneSystems
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 01:17
Hey... this was a thread about my spelling!!!!!!! :lol:

You spelled Parliament wrong! :lol:

jfrancho
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 01:19
I've learned two important lessons today: CDS can actually spell, sometimes. And Don't mention Ms. Thatcher when neil_r's green light is on.

neil_r
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 01:20
Hey... this was a thread about my spelling!!!!!!! :lol:

You spelled Parliament wrong! :lol:

Thats why I spelt Parliament wrong :o

N

CyberDyneSystems
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 01:24
That fact that your first initial is "j" makes me laugh every day...

growing up I lived down the street from a Franco household.. and there entire extended Family seemed to made up of first names starting with the letter "J"...

Judy was the Mother... the Step father was John,. every once in a while the Father would visit.. he was Jack,..

the sons were Jay, Jimmy, and Jerry...The Baby.. (with the Step Father) was John Jr. ....

this is not a TV show.. this is true..

So Jay?, Jimmy?, Jerry?.. is that you??

jfrancho
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 01:30
Sorry, nope. It's my old NT domain name from work. My full name is John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt. Actuually it's John Franchot. The last name is pronounced FRAN-chawt,it's Polish, but everyone says fran-CHO, as if it were French.

neil_r
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 01:45
And Don't mention Ms. Thatcher when neil_r's green light is on.It was a bit of a rant wasn’t it? I have moderated my own post (see Belmondo I am learning ;) )

N

neil_r
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 04:03
(NOTE FROM PEKKA TO ALL: PLEASE TALK POLITICS IN PM OR SOMEWHERE ELSE THANK YOU)

Thanks Pekka I respect your space, I am out of this one now.

Cheers to all ;)

tommykjensen
9th of July 2005 (Sat), 04:20
But did the brits really win over the Vikings? *grins evil and pats her plate armour and hat with horns* :D

No the Danes did :mrgreen: