PDA

View Full Version : HOW MUCH TO CHARGE??????

Ralph III
7th of May 2010 (Fri), 17:51
Hello,
I have been approached to provide photography needs for NTRP state tennis championships. This is typical club players who play at different skill levels end of season championships. Will be a four day event with finalists playing on Sunday. I may be asked to provide some photo's (2 hrs) prior to tournament start also.

Anyhow, I wanted input as to a ball park figure in what to charge or some sort of guidance.

I have not gotten full details as yet but will most likely provide the following.

1) Daily action photographs of players/teams. This could be 10 hour days in an attempt to get everyone, otherwise as agreed. Then there will be editing and posting of pictures on my website to view/purchase.

2) Still shots of winning teams.

3) Candid shots of tournament directors, players and player party.

This could easily amount to several thousand photo's taken as a big event and important one for the club. Note, I have just gotten into event photography, having done several local tennis tournaments last year so am not looking to get professional type compensation. In addition, I am friends of the club and thus those who are sponsoring the tournament but is a lot of work and wear/tear on gear.

Thanks, Ralph

EmmaRose
7th of May 2010 (Fri), 17:54
IIIIIIIIIII DDDDDDDDDDOOOONNNNNNTTTT KKKNNNOOOOOWWWW

Seriously dude, annoying title. Also, there's a sticky right above you explaining what to charge.

Ralph III
7th of May 2010 (Fri), 20:45
IIIIIIIIIII DDDDDDDDDDOOOONNNNNNTTTT KKKNNNOOOOOWWWW

Seriously dude, annoying title. Also, there's a sticky right above you explaining what to charge.

So annoying you felt compelled to post a reply? That is akin to a crazy person complaining about how crazy something is and then participating in it!

Yes, I could spend an hour or more, having read quite a bit of that thread already, reading about situations of no relevance and sacrafice time with my family.

Otherwise, I can post something in hopes a professional might have some good advice and in congratulating me on such a good opportunity.

burntpixel
7th of May 2010 (Fri), 20:56
enough to make a profit ;)

disneydork06
9th of May 2010 (Sun), 16:10
enough to make a profit ;)
this sounds good. are you only shooting for the players or for the people running the tourny? you could always find someone who already has a readily available price and have them shoot it...

LONDON808
9th of May 2010 (Sun), 17:11
$5900.87
seriously - no one can help you with this
what you charge us up to you why is your time worth - how long will it take ext... How good is your work

Every week some one asks how much should I charge -

WE Can not tell you -

LBaldwin
9th of May 2010 (Sun), 17:32
Ralph III,

I am sure you not aware but what you are asking is a tall order with very little information from you.
But I can point you in a few directions.
1. Are you an established business? Or are you planning on this? if not you should not be doing this for pay. It should be left to professionals - persons that are financially, ready to do this. Rememeber that taxes HAVE to be paid in most areas. Failure to do that leaves you open to some serious tax evastion fines.

2. If you have an established business you need to do and open and honest CODB, to determine the costs involved.

3. Then you have to determine how much profit you need to make after your CODB to make the gig worth while. From what you have said this is a BIG project, so you will need others to help. That means that you will ned to pay them and provide workers comp coverage. FYI I know a photographer that just did a little league shoot, and his cousin was helping him under the table. His cousin got hit with a foulball and needs about 200k worth of sugery to repair his face. The cousin does not have insurance.

philwillmedia
11th of May 2010 (Tue), 04:15
...so am not looking to get professional type compensation...
Well you should be.
If you are doing a professional job, you should be paid accordingly.
Otherwise, don't take it on.
...In addition, I am friends of the club and thus those who are sponsoring the tournament
And this makes a difference how?
They've asked you to do the job, they should be prepared to pay what that job is worth - no matter who is doing the job.
If they've got caterers and other businesses providing services they will be paid properly, why shouldn't you?
Oh yeah - that's right. You're just the photographer and digital is free.
...but is a lot of work and wear/tear on gear...
reinforcing why you should be paid accordingly.