PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new computer

RPCrowe
2nd of July 2010 (Fri), 18:08
My wife just got an Inovo Laptop for her birthday and I think it might just be time to retire my Dell Optiplex 745 which has an Intel Core-2 Duo Processor.

The computer I am considering is the
Lenovo IdeaCentre K320 30191FU Intel® Core™ i7-860
2.80GHz 1333MHz 8MB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB memory
Graphics Processor / Vendor NVidia GeForce G320

I want to run two monitors - I have a 19" Dell Monitor (which I want to use in the portrait configuration) and also a new 23" NEC EA231WMI-BK.

From the specs of the Lenovo computer, does it look sufficient to comfortably run Photoshop. I presently use CS3 but, may upgrade when I get my new computer.

drdiesel1
2nd of July 2010 (Fri), 22:14
Shouldn't be a problem, but that's not 1TB of memory. It's a 1TB hard drive.

As long as it's not a Dell motherboard, then you should be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-K320-30191FU-2-80GHz/dp/B003P7101S

MCAsan
2nd of July 2010 (Fri), 22:36
If you can afford it, get one one with at least one USB 3 port. If not USB 3, then eSATA. That is so you can connect up an externall 7200rpm drive for fast backup.

Tony-S
3rd of July 2010 (Sat), 10:48
CS3 cannot use the hyperthreading of the i7 so you should upgrade your PS. Also, is that a dual or quad core i7?

In2Photos
3rd of July 2010 (Sat), 14:22
CS3 cannot use the hyoerthreading of the i7 so you should upgrade your PS. Also, is that a dual or quad core i7?
The 860 is quad core. I think all i series are quad. Only some i5s and the i3s don't do hyperthreading.

Tony-S
3rd of July 2010 (Sat), 14:39
The Arrandale i7 chips are dual core hyper threading notebook CPUs, but a quick check shows they are 6xx series chips.

In2Photos
3rd of July 2010 (Sat), 17:00
The Arrandale i7 chips are dual core hyper threading notebook CPUs, but a quick check shows they are 6xx series chips.
Sorry I thought we were only discussing desktop CPUs. :o

the jimmy
3rd of July 2010 (Sat), 19:23
My wife just got an Inovo Laptop for her birthday and I think it might just be time to retire my Dell Optiplex 745 which has an Intel Core-2 Duo Processor.

1TB memory

I want to run two monitors - I have a 19" Dell Monitor (which I want to use in the portrait configuration) and also a new 23" NEC EA231WMI-BK.

From the specs of the Lenovo computer, does it look sufficient to comfortably run Photoshop. I presently use CS3 but, may upgrade when I get my new computer.

I have always (except for my 1st computer a AMD 486 40mhz) built my computers, if that's not for you then you could look for a local shop that has a good reputation, which means they've been in business for many years and have them build it for you.

The advantage is you can select the componets you want, plus if there is an issue you don't have to ship the thing anywhere. JMO

tim
4th of July 2010 (Sun), 17:09
Building your own is sometimes cheaper, having someone build it for you can make it more expensive. I know one local computer place that will put a computer together free if you buy all the parts from them.

I think most i7 CPUs use triple channel memory, so 3GB, 6GB, and 12GB are more usual amounts of RAM. I'm not sure if the i7 8xx series want multiples of 2 or 3 though.

Moppie
5th of July 2010 (Mon), 00:46
The 8 series processors are all dual channel, the 9 series are all triple channel.
They use a different socket and chip set as well.

DetlevCM
8th of July 2010 (Thu), 11:15

1TB memory

You're possibly wasting your money if you run CS3 - because it doesn't use graphics acceleration - yes, the i7 will be more powerful, but else you don't gain a lot...
You only gain some more speed when processing files.

I'm on a 2,5GHz Core2Duo - and actually I would not need or want a faster processor in my laptop to edit my MK II's 21MP RAW files.

Moppie
9th of July 2010 (Fri), 00:13
I'm on a 2,5GHz Core2Duo - and actually I would not need or want a faster processor in my laptop to edit my MK II's 21MP RAW files.

Try something faster, you might be surprised.

A core 2 duo is ok if your doing simple edits on a single file at a time.
As soon as you start doing anything more complex your doing to experience wait times for screen redraws when using some tools and any attempt to batch process large numbers of files will take a long time, and limit your ability to do anything else while you wait.

Also note, the Core 2 series of chips, both Dual and Quad cores are in the process of being phased out. They are dead technology.
The new i series chips, while having similar clock speeds are significantly more advanced. They use less power and are more efficient, many of them can run extra virtual cores (which doubles their performance) and the whole process around how they use memory has changed making them far better at processing information and then passing it between other parts of the system.

tim
9th of July 2010 (Fri), 00:18
Even on the Core2Quad Q6600 I find ACR is a bit slow with 18MP 7D Raw files. I'm definitely changing to an i7 before my next big workload comes up, but for bits and pieces it's still ok. I'd hate to be on Core2duo though.

Moppie
9th of July 2010 (Fri), 00:24
When I really get into my 5D2 files I can load up all 4 cores on my Q6600 and use 5-6GB of ram. An i7 920, or its equivalent is definitely on the cards for next year.
I'm still using my 30D for a lot of stuff where I know I'm going to have to do a lot of repetitive processing, just so I can cut down on the processing time.

Of course I'm batch processing a lot of Raw files in LR, making big adjustments to most variables and using the selective editing tools with the brush and gradient. I'm also doing a lot of work in Photoshop on Tiff files, colour correcting, clear cutting, dodging and buring, sometimes really heavy editing, skin smoothing etc.

If your just importing photos and doing some simple tone and saturation enhancement to out of camera JPEG's, your not going to put as much stress on a system, and something like a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of ram will be ok. Not ideal, but ok.

tim
9th of July 2010 (Fri), 01:52
Yeah I can load all four cores, I need more of them, and faster ones. I never go over about 1GB of RAM per process though.

Fortunately my new camera's only 12MP :)

bigpow
9th of July 2010 (Fri), 02:13
not to discourage you from it, but building a fast & reliable PC is not as easy as everyone think yet very rewarding
if you're new to it, it'll either excite you (to a point where you'll spend hundreds of hours learning and experimenting with parts, setups, and configurations), or frustate you to 'apple-fangirls' hell'

Another option: buy a pre-configured systems from trusted brands.
Depending on the budget, e.g., high end PCs = alienware, mach, voodoo, falcon. affordable mid-end or high-end = dell xps, etc

DetlevCM
9th of July 2010 (Fri), 03:10
Try something faster, you might be surprised.

A core 2 duo is ok if your doing simple edits on a single file at a time.
As soon as you start doing anything more complex your doing to experience wait times for screen redraws when using some tools and any attempt to batch process large numbers of files will take a long time, and limit your ability to do anything else while you wait.

Also note, the Core 2 series of chips, both Dual and Quad cores are in the process of being phased out. They are dead technology.
The new i series chips, while having similar clock speeds are significantly more advanced. They use less power and are more efficient, many of them can run extra virtual cores (which doubles their performance) and the whole process around how they use memory has changed making them far better at processing information and then passing it between other parts of the system.

Well, I regularly open several files in CameraRAW - and I hardly ever use Photoshop - only on HDRs and then just things like tonal curves and contrast.... (I'm just too lazy and don't have the patience for Photoshop).
And for that the 2,5GHz Core2Duo in my laptop is fine :)

Regarding an i processor - have you got roughly 2000€ for a new laptop for me? (Sony Z)

I will not deny that an i processor is faster - however it might not be worth is, as a Core2Duo is fine for RAW editing :)

tim
10th of July 2010 (Sat), 00:00
A couple of years ago I spent an evening or two researching parts and an evening putting my computer together. I did know quite a bit already though, just not specific brands or anything.