PDA

View Full Version : So, I finally ordered the G11

Retired_97
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 08:20
Yes, after reading ALL the comments posted here and elsewehere, I finally decided that the G11 would be a good P&S camera for those times when I really didn't need my 40D w/all the other lenses and the added weight.

I placed the order with B&H yesterday and it will be here on Tue. w/the free shipping option.

I was very impressed with many of the photos posted by G11 owners. I also read and took into consideration but with a grain of salt, all the negative comments about the G11. Everyone has their opinion about what they like and dislike and that can be a good thing but some get carried away at times no matter what the subject matter. ;)

I'm looking forward to receiving the G11 and playing around with it. We have a couple of trips coming up and if all goes well, the G11 will be along for the ride(s).

the jimmy
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 09:01
Yes, after reading ALL the comments posted here and elsewehere, I finally decided that the G11 would be a good P&S camera for those times when I really didn't need my 40D w/all the other lenses and the added weight.

I placed the order with B&H yesterday and it will be here on Tue. w/the free shipping option.

I was very impressed with many of the photos posted by G11 owners. I also read and took into consideration but with a grain of salt, all the negative comments about the G11. Everyone has their opinion about what they like and dislike and that can be a good thing but some get carried away at times no matter what the subject matter. ;)

I'm looking forward to receiving the G11 and playing around with it. We have a couple of trips coming up and if all goes well, the G11 will be along for the ride(s).

It's a very nice camera, did you test one at a local store?

a G11 owner

joestoys
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 09:21
WELL DONE!!!!!!:D:D:D

algold
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 10:54
you will have some fun with it on your trips.
congratulations on your new toy!

Retired_97
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 11:18
Thanks all. :D

Believe it or not, no one had one in stock around here to fondle and there are quite a few big box stores w/camera sections in my area.

This forum has been quite helpful w/info in regard to the G11. I'm quite confident that I made a good choice.

EOSFelix
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 15:56
Congratulations...great toy!
An Italian G11 owner!

joestoys
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 16:30
ya ya!!!! although I am only a month into this G11...... 9 out of 10 of the people who see the pictures taken on G11..... their jaws drop..... = WAH - very nice, very sharp and clear pictures... what camera is that... compact and powerful enough... ;)

RIgnacio
24th of July 2010 (Sat), 17:13
Congrats! You'll love it!

claudeharris
25th of July 2010 (Sun), 01:45
I am proud G11 owner. It never disappoints me. Ever. Knock on wood!

valeriemae
25th of July 2010 (Sun), 10:21
G11 indeed is a great point and shoot camera with a little DSLR capabilities. I wonder how it stands on the new Panasonic LX5 which is their closest rival.

Peterm1_Canon
25th of July 2010 (Sun), 10:32
I am constantly impressed by the G11 and its image quality in particular. I started off shooting RAW files (as I normally do with my DSLR) but found it to be a bit of a pain as apart from the packaged software that came with it, I have no other software that supports this camera's RAW files. But I quickly found that the JPG files are so good that I need not worry too much. And so that's what I now shoot.

I also enjoy the many options for "fiddling" with images on this camera, although some are a bit gimmicky. Like the ability to make part of an image in mono and part in color. But fun never the less.Due to its size and convenience it is the camera I now carry most often.

jb1911
25th of July 2010 (Sun), 15:55
Congratulations...great toy!
An Italian G11 owner!

Where can I order an Italian G11?

algold
25th of July 2010 (Sun), 16:55
custom made most likely :)

Badgerballs
25th of July 2010 (Sun), 19:13
You won't be sorry!

Retired_97
28th of July 2010 (Wed), 06:08
Well, the G11 arrived yesterday as expected. When I opened the box I was surprised at how small it actually is. I read that it is small but I didn't figure on just how small. I have large hands but can work thru this.
I put the battery on charge, looked at the controls and began to read the supplied manual. Supplied Canon software installed on computer(s).
When the battery was topped off, in it went along with the 16 GB Sandisk Ultra memory card that I ordered with the G11.
I "shot" every thing in sight with every setting that I could find. ;)
I worked my way thru most of the normal settings deleting pics as I went.
This little camera has a load of features some of which I may not use but they are nice to have.
I will say that it is rather user friendly. It will be a learning process for it and me.
Initial impressions, I like it as does my wife which is a good thing.

audiosteve
28th of July 2010 (Wed), 10:50
Enjoy !!! And I can certainly relate to the wife comment. I should have never let her use it. Now I can't get it away from her !!!! :-)