PDA

View Full Version : Shooting to the Right reference needed

rickp1
27th of July 2010 (Tue), 18:03
I just signed up to a photography course in a local college and my professor and I were talking about exposure.
He's teaching to shoot with the exposure 1/3 to the left, so I asked why and he said that I would get better exposures that way.
Then I told him that pretty much everything I read stated to shoot to the right and bring it back down to the left in PPing. Now he's asking me to produce this info where well know photographers are recommending shooting to the right.

Does anyone have any reference material from well established photographers that are recommending this?
I got this from forums and general internet reading but nothing from big time photographers.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

R.

Josue DG
28th of July 2010 (Wed), 11:34
I read about exposing to the right in The Ultimate Guide to Digital Nature Photography by The Mountain Trail Photo Team. Don't know if that would be a credible enough reference for your professor.

rickp1
28th of July 2010 (Wed), 12:26
Anything would help.

Thank you

R.

Tiger_993
28th of July 2010 (Wed), 12:47
I'm assuming we're talking about digital here. If so, maybe this article will help: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

Sakura1234
18th of September 2010 (Sat), 20:28
I just signed up to a photography course in a local college and my professor and I were talking about exposure.
He's teaching to shoot with the exposure 1/3 to the left, so I asked why and he said that I would get better exposures that way.
Then I told him that pretty much everything I read stated to shoot to the right and bring it back down to the left in PPing. Now he's asking me to produce this info where well know photographers are recommending shooting to the right.

Does anyone have any reference material from well established photographers that are recommending this?
I got this from forums and general internet reading but nothing from big time photographers.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

R.

:rolleyes: You don't need reference from a "well established photographer".

If he's a professor in photography, he should be smart enough to take advice from anywhere, experiment, and analyse the result himself.

If he need "credible source" from an "established photographer" he's not a photographer himself. Just someone who read lots about photography, and that gives him no right to teach about photography.

Seriously. It's dead easy. Take two of the same shot with a turn of a dial. Compare the result on the screen/print it out. Any sane smart person can do that easily rather than wasting time looking for reference.

University "professors" always want to make me throw up.

-MasterChief-
18th of September 2010 (Sat), 20:31
perhaps he shoots a Nikon?

rickp1
18th of September 2010 (Sat), 21:56
He does shoot a Nikon.

Well I gave him a few references but I dont think he cared. I think he's set in his ways and that's it. Either way I'm not impressed with his teachings AT ALL!!!! Sometimes I ask him stuff and he looks at me like he doens't know what I'm talking about or just gives me a very general answer. Not impresses at all. Just doens't know what to teach. He's a very poor teacher. Nice guy but a crappy teacher.

R.

-MasterChief-
19th of September 2010 (Sun), 08:32
did you know that Nikon's exposure meter goes positive to the left? so you are both arguing the same thing! :p

rickp1
19th of September 2010 (Sun), 08:44
I was not aware of that. But I don't think we are. if you were in the class you would hear his argument or lack off should I say. He's not familiar with the technique, and as mentioned before I shouldn't have to get references about it.

If by the mere chance we are, then he should clarify things, as the professor.

coloradokar
21st of September 2010 (Tue), 06:53
[I] I on took a class by Rocky Mountain school of Photography & they did say if you are shooting raw, you should shoot to the right on your histogram. If you shoot Jpegs you should shoot more to center of histogram. Evidently shooting to the right with raw is supposed to prevent too much noise when processing the shadows in post processing. I have heard this term many times.