PDA

View Full Version : New website! Please take a look and let me know what you think!

ianflanigan
2nd of August 2010 (Mon), 22:17
Heyy, so I've been working really hard on getting a new site together. Some quick notes about what I wanted, I wanted it very very clean, very adaptable, I often make photo stories out of most things I shoot and I wanted those stories to look just like my site, with navigation and all. I really just wanted the work to be the most important part of the site. I handled everything myself, from concept to coding to branding etc, I went to school for design, so it would be tough for me to let someone design something for me haha! It's a sidescrolling website, some people hate that, but it's my site! Any constructive criticism is welcomed, but please don't be rude about it. :] Thanks a ton!

www.ianflanigan.com (http://www.ianflanigan.com)

ian flanigan

Hikin Mike
2nd of August 2010 (Mon), 22:59
You're right, I hate side-scrolling. Your Information text is childish IMO or maybe I'm just old, but it just doesn't sound professional. Not sure why you used Javascript to run your navigation, but this can be done easily with HTML/CSS.

Billo78
3rd of August 2010 (Tue), 03:59
I like it.

I think the side scrolling works well for Macbook users who can scroll left and right as easily as up or down with their pad, it wouldn't be as easy with a mouse and could become annoying though.

Not sure I like your photo on the main page with the faces totally blown out, I get what you're going for but IMO it doesn't totally work and there are loads of shots in your portfolio that would be more suitable.

Also, what's the point of the website? Who are your prospective clients? It doesn't scream "I'm available for hire", it's more just a collection of cool shots presented in an artistic way (this may be all you're going for at the moment?).

It loaded quickly on my connection (which is quite fast) and I liked the navigation (but as mentioned above I might not like it so much with a mouse).

ianflanigan
3rd of August 2010 (Tue), 10:21
@hikinmike perhaps there might be something about the gap in our age, im also really bad at writing out those information pages. I'll take a second crack at it. As far as the javascript, the only java is for the roll overs, the rest is only html/css.

@billo78 thanks for looking it over, i suppose at the moment im more focused on my 365 project than constatly hustling for more freelance gigs, but i do want to get away from my full time job shooting product. perhaps i should make it scream "hire me" more. thanks for the advice!

Hikin Mike
3rd of August 2010 (Tue), 12:54
@hikinmike perhaps there might be something about the gap in our age, im also really bad at writing out those information pages. I'll take a second crack at it. As far as the javascript, the only java is for the roll overs, the rest is only html/css.

@billo78 thanks for looking it over, i suppose at the moment im more focused on my 365 project than constatly hustling for more freelance gigs, but i do want to get away from my full time job shooting product. perhaps i should make it scream "hire me" more. thanks for the advice!

No doubt about that, I could be your father (I feel old now)...LOL!! I guess I didn't like the '....intergalactic travel.' thing. You don't need Javascript for the roll overs though. You can use CSS.