PDA

View Full Version : POTN UK SE field trip to Chernobyl photos thread

Pages : 1 [2]

LEWWY
19th of September 2010 (Sun), 14:20
Great shots lads!

Could people who want photos of Dave to be included in the Chernobyl blog post I am working on, have them emailed to me (lewis[at]hilldesigns.co.uk) before Tuesday night?

Athankyoo! :)

saea501
19th of September 2010 (Sun), 15:23
This is pretty interesting. This girl lives near the reactor and rides her bike around the forbidden zone. Some good reading and pics.

http://elenafilatova.com/

I don't think I would want to go anywhere near that place......little too hot for me if you get my drift.

Jill-of-all-Trades
19th of September 2010 (Sun), 16:59
This is pretty interesting. This girl lives near the reactor and rides her bike around the forbidden zone. Some good reading and pics.

http://elenafilatova.com/

Quite the read there. Would be an awesome trip for abandoned buildings and such, but I do value my health.

souporman
20th of September 2010 (Mon), 11:39
I'm supping Vodka at the mo but hopefully this makes sense;
http://www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk/?p=145

We're still waiting for the other installments Peter. Did you run out of vodka??

Ok, Kiev photos are now up so these are the last from me. Below are the best 8, rest in this gallery: http://www.dennis-and-fiona.co.uk/?page_id=1207

1. Upside down patriotism
http://www.dennis-and-fiona.co.uk/photos/2010/kiev/data/images/20100830-016.jpg

2. One of hundreds of stray dogs around the place

3. Rob posted one similar already - pigeon lady

4. Impromptu model

5. Lada!

6. Peace tanks. Had to wait 15 minutes to take the shot as these are very popular climbing apparatus' for kids
http://www.dennis-and-fiona.co.uk/photos/2010/kiev/data/images/20100830-135.jpg

7. Budget and expensive accommodation

8. Graffiti

Took me a minute to figure out the first one, well spoted Dennis :)

Love the peace tanks as well. Definitely worth the wait, the clouds are perfect.

Mike
27th of September 2010 (Mon), 08:30
Anyone written an article yet for the DSLR User mag?

Contact Matt Kimberly if it has been done so you can have your trip in print:

mattkimberley{at}bright-publishing.com

Neal
27th of September 2010 (Mon), 12:10
i think I'm gonna try and get this together this week

Geo
27th of September 2010 (Mon), 21:35
It is a phantoms city. Was terrible this Horrible Event.Thank Guys to sharing this pictures full of history and pain,...

Dr D
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 05:13
i think I'm gonna try and get this together this week
Should we arrange a meet up in London at a pub somewhere to work out what photos we're goign to submit and write the article the article to go with it? Am free next Saturday (9th) if that helps. Will send some PM's too

Neal
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 05:30
8th would be okay during the day, im photoing derby in the afternoon tho

Kaben
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 05:35
Are we going to do a bit about the silo as well?

I think they would work well together in an article.

Dr D
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 05:39
Just sent PM. Am in Germany 3 out of 4 weeks this month so can't do 8th - am mainly limited to weekends :(
Can do silo as well - might be best to email magazine editor and ask their opinion.

Edit: Ok emailed editor so will see what the reply is.

Neal
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 06:46
note i meant 9th

souporman
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 08:33
9th would be ok.

Dr D
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 09:08
Got PM from Rob and he can't do the 9th. What about the 30th?

Kaben
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 09:16
As i said in the PM, it doesn't matter that much if im not there. My work is so up and down at the moment regarding weekends that by the time the 30th comes around i may not be able to do it!

As long as everyone has at least one image of their images submitted it should be fine.

souporman
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 09:23
As i said in the PM, it doesn't matter that much if im not there. My work is so up and down at the moment regarding weekends that by the time the 30th comes around i may not be able to do it!

As long as everyone has at least one image of their images submitted it should be fine.

Agreed to this.

[edit] - though I suspect it will be down to the editors as to which ones are used.

Dr D
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 09:30
Just heard back from Matt at the magazine. He's recommending a Q&A session with approx 8-10 photos to be published. Trying to arrange a time to meet up for the Q&A, which will hopefully coincide with the pub session to sort out images. Ideally if we could all be at the Q&A it would be better.

Kaben
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 09:30
In that case the 30th/31st is the only time i can make it. I will book the day off work tomorrow if needed.

Mike
28th of September 2010 (Tue), 09:44
Just heard back from Matt at the magazine. He's recommending a Q&A session with approx 8-10 photos to be published. Trying to arrange a time to meet up for the Q&A, which will hopefully coincide with the pub session to sort out images. Ideally if we could all be at the Q&A it would be better.

Sounding good. Funnily enough, I had a feeling a Q&A type of write up might have been suggested! :)

huggles
5th of October 2010 (Tue), 04:58
I'm good with almost any date, just let me know. I'll bring my prints too.

Somehow I doubt a DSLR magazine will use any of mine. ;)

:mrgreen:

Dr D
5th of October 2010 (Tue), 08:20
Ok, so the 30th is sorted then? Can anyone recommend a pub?

Neal
5th of October 2010 (Tue), 10:03
how about the founders arms near the Tate?

Kaben
5th of October 2010 (Tue), 12:38
I might not be able to make the 30th now :mad:

If i cant make it is ok for me to just forward one of you my favorite images and then go from there?

F*cking job.

Dr D
5th of October 2010 (Tue), 15:41
I might not be able to make the 30th now :mad:

If i cant make it is ok for me to just forward one of you my favorite images and then go from there?

F*cking job.
Can you make the 31st?

Kaben
5th of October 2010 (Tue), 16:05
Can you make the 31st?

If im working i will be on all weekend. :(

A real pain in the bum!

huggles
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 02:51
So... did we come up with a date/time/place?

:mrgreen:

Dr D
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 03:18
I guess its Saturday 30th at Founders Arms? From 2pm? IF agreeable I'll email the magazine.

huggles
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 03:21
Tis fine for me

souporman
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 03:49
Tis fine for me

Yea, works for me. The pub will likely be packed however but we can work something out when we meet up.

Dr D
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 04:24
Is it possible to book a table, or is it not that type of pub?

souporman
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 05:10
Is it possible to book a table, or is it not that type of pub?

I have no idea I'm afraid, though I'd bet on no given the location etc.

huggles
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 05:12
It has free WiFi
;-)

Neal
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 06:38
Times are good with me too I think

huggles
14th of October 2010 (Thu), 07:34
foundersarms.co.uk/book/index.htm

Dr D
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 02:57
Ok, have emailed the pub so will confirm the table once they do.
Also Phil has started writing up the trip - blog post here: http://flippyd2.wordpress.com/2010/09/04/goodbye-and-good-luck/

Neal
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 03:39
What time would the meeting be? I've realised I should be marshalling this day potentially

Dr D
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 08:19
Table's confirmed at 2pm for the 30th.

Kaben
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 15:08
I definitely wont be able to make it :(

If any of you have wifi on the day, my shots are on my flickr

Dr D
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 07:19
I've heard back from the Mag and they can't come out to the pub on Saturday. He sent through the following questions.
Hi Dennis,

Here are the questions for you and the club, about your trip to Chernobyl. Answers between 20 and 70 words are best, but there is some room for manoeuvre on that.

How on earth did this idea come about?

Did you need any special permissions to access the area?

What is the area like now?

What were the highlights for you?

What memories have you have taken away from the trip?

Do people really still live there?

What are the radiation levels like around Chernobyl?

Do you think you’d go back?

Thanks for answering those, Dennis. I hope the meeting on Saturday is a good one!

Matt

Rob: Can you send through your best 5 photos from the trip so we can go through the shots we've all taken and make sure we don't duplicate it up?

Mike
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 08:12
Looking forward to the writeup! :D

huggles
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 09:19
So what be the plan now? In terms of how we go about answering the questions.

I'll bring my prints by the way.

souporman
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 09:23

Nice, looking forward to seeing them.

My guess is that we have a pint or two and collectively answer them?

Dennis: is phillip coming along as well?

Dr D
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 11:10
We'll still need to meet up to select the photos we're going to submit. Ideally, probably 2-3 from each person. Need to discuss whether its Chernobyl only or the whole tour - what would make for a more interesting article. From the questions, it looks as if it's the former.

Nice, looking forward to seeing them.
My guess is that we have a pint or two and collectively answer them?
Dennis: is phillip coming along as well?
Haven't asked Phil along as I figured this is more of a photographic article and we went along mainly for the photography whereas Phil was there for the experience. Can text him to see if he can make it if you like - he lives in Camden so he should be able to make it if free.

Dr D
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 11:23
Ok, texted Phil, will let you know if he's goign to make it.
Latest blog post from him about Pripyat: http://flippyd2.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/day-two-part-2-pripyat/
Some cool photos and descriptions. You can tell he read English at Uni :)

Kaben
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 12:05
Looks like I may be able to attend now! \o/

Is the Founders Arms the pub on the opposite bank to Blackfriars station?

Hopefully it will include shots from our whole trip, not just the zone. Most of my favourite shots are from within Kiev.

souporman
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 12:18
We'll still need to meet up to select the photos we're going to submit. Ideally, probably 2-3 from each person. Need to discuss whether its Chernobyl only or the whole tour - what would make for a more interesting article. From the questions, it looks as if it's the former.

Haven't asked Phil along as I figured this is more of a photographic article and we went along mainly for the photography whereas Phil was there for the experience. Can text him to see if he can make it if you like - he lives in Camden so he should be able to make it if free.

Ok, texted Phil, will let you know if he's goign to make it.
Latest blog post from him about Pripyat: http://flippyd2.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/day-two-part-2-pripyat/
Some cool photos and descriptions. You can tell he read English at Uni :)

Yea, he's quite articulate. I wasn't that concerned if he was going to be there for the reasons you mentioned, just curious.

Looks like I may be able to attend now! \o/

Is the Founders Arms the pub on the opposite bank to Blackfriars station?

Hopefully it will include shots from our whole trip, not just the zone. Most of my favourite shots are from within Kiev.

The questions seem chernoby based, but I can't see that it matters that much.

Yes, the Founders Arms is across from blackfriars station between blackfriars bridge and the tate modern. Would be great if you could make it mate.

Evilfooker
28th of October 2010 (Thu), 19:24
Amazing shots, makes me want to go sooo bad. .

Neal
29th of October 2010 (Fri), 01:18
Did anyone find out if the finders Arms had wifi?

souporman
29th of October 2010 (Fri), 03:38
Did anyone find out if the finders Arms had wifi?

Post #182

It has free WiFi
;-)

;)

Also here (http://www.foundersarms.co.uk/visit/index.htm), half way down.

Neal
29th of October 2010 (Fri), 04:41
cool, I someone grabs a laptop, we can pull photos of choice from Flickr accounts?

adrian5127
29th of October 2010 (Fri), 04:49
Just a flying post from my phone which is a first for me!!

1D mkII batteries in currys for ú10 both canon and hama. i got two even if only to ebay to go in the camera kitty

adrian5127
29th of October 2010 (Fri), 04:53
Failed just realised i posted in the wrong thread

Kaben
29th of October 2010 (Fri), 12:36
Just as i thought everything was sorted, something else comes up to put a spanner in teh works!

Just incase i dont make it, here are my fav pics.

The illegal photo of the border guards:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/4945586218_bb635612a3_z.jpg

The Veteran laden with medals:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1416/5105254635_956d91caec_z.jpg

The Pidgeon Lady:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5105254993_6476bf0738_z.jpg

Ground Control to Major Tom:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1252/5105255639_0b811ec6b4_z.jpg

Respect your elders:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/5105852674_d4540008de_z.jpg

A quiet beer:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5105256395_5a6a95a254_z.jpg

2 versions of Mother Russia:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4945717870_8c5ea0f308_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/4945717640_4013ebf9b4_z.jpg

I think we should submit images from the whole trip as they make up what it was all about. The magazine editors can then choose which they actually want to use themselves.

Dennis, are you driving up or catching the train tomorrow?

Dr D
1st of November 2010 (Mon), 05:58
T'was good to catch up on the weekend chaps - equally good to see that none of us have had any growths or tumours develop in the last 2 months either :)

The list of photos are as below. I'll mark them off as I receive them - please send by email to dgolchert[at]yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk. Items marked in red still outstanding

1. Check point photo - Rob
2. Yuri with dosimeter - Pete
3. Monument to firefighters - Neal
4. Pripyat sign - Kev
5. Tank with radation sign - Neal
6. Reactor 4 - Pete, Rob, Dennis
7. Reactor with dosimeter - Neal
8. Dosimeter of red forest - Dennis
9. Doll/hotel - Rob
10. Hotel lobby shot - Phil
11. Gym w/ tree - Kev
12. Ferris wheel (colour) - Kev
13. Dodgems - Pete, Rob
14. Ferris wheel (B&W) - Neal
15. School gas masks - Dennis
16. School corridor - Phil
17. Swimming pool - Phil
18. Basketball court - Dennis
19. Soviet war statues - Neal
20. Launch panel - Neal
21. Kev in gasmask w/ Dave the Duck - Rob
22. Group photo -Dennis
23. Old lady in Kiev - Rob
24. Mother of Motherland - Rob
25. Cathedral - Dennis
26. Yellow Lada - Dennis

I'll get to paraphrasing the comments sometime today.

Kaben
1st of November 2010 (Mon), 07:04
Hi Dennis,

I have just emailed you a dropbox link with my images in. :)

Was good to see you all again on Sunday.

souporman
1st of November 2010 (Mon), 07:32
T'was good to catch up on the weekend chaps - equally good to see that none of us have had any growths or tumours develop in the last 2 months either :)

The list of photos are as below. I'll mark them off as I receive them - please send by email to dgolchert[at]yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk

1. Check point photo - Rob
2. Yuri with dosimeter - Pete
3. Monument to firefighters - Neal
4. Pripyat sign - Kev
5. Tank with radation sign - Neal
6. Reactor 4 - Pete, Rob, Dennis
7. Reactor with dosimeter - Neal
8. Dosimeter of red forest - Dennis
9. Doll/hotel - Rob
10. Hotel lobby shot - Phil
11. Gym w/ tree - Kev
12. Ferris wheel (colour) - Kev
13. Dodgems - Pete, Rob
14. Ferris wheel (B&W) - Neal
15. School gas masks - Dennis
16. School corridor - Phil
17. Swimming pool - Phil
18. Basketball court - Dennis
19. Soviet war statues - Neal
20. Launch panel - Neal
21. Kev in gasmask w/ Dave the Duck - Rob
22. Group photo -Dennis
23. Old lady in Kiev - Rob
24. Mother of Motherland - Rob
25. Cathedral - Dennis
26. Yellow Lada - Dennis

I'll get to paraphrasing the comments sometime today.

Looks like the 2-3 images/person went out the window ;)

Will send mine over tonight.

Kaben
1st of November 2010 (Mon), 08:03
Looks like the 2-3 images/person went out the window ;)

Will send mine over tonight.

We decided to just document the main parts of the trip in order and then chose images for each section. The magazine can choose what to run but we thought we could caption the images so they have an idea of the "story".

There are a couple of silly ones in there too like the gasmask/dave the duck shot and the yellow lada.

hella 325
1st of November 2010 (Mon), 08:33
Awesome pics! This captured the feel of the place great, and I love a lot of the pp work to. Looks like the trip was fun.

Dr D
1st of November 2010 (Mon), 08:38
Cheers for the photos Rob. Can't install dropbox at work so will get to it tomorrow night when I'm home.

Dr D
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 09:42
Ok guys, have a read of the article here. Did I capture everything/anything I missed?
Chernobyl Q&A

How on earth did this idea come about?
There were a few rumours on the internet a few years ago that tours were available of Chernobyl and Pripyat, and over drinks one night it was decided that it would be really interesting to go on the tour. After a few years of postulating among the group on how good it would be to go, one of the group members decided to arrange a tour for the August bank holiday this year and six of us signed up to visit Kiev, Chernobyl, Pripyat and the Petromaysk Nuclear missile base museum..

Did you need any special permissions to access the area?
Prior to the tour, we had to submit our full names and passport details to the tour group to apply for access to the area. The paperwork, fortunately, was done by the tour group. 30km from the reactor, we had a check point to pass, where our passports were checked against a list to permit access.

What is the area like now?
Growing up during the cold war, we were told propaganda on how evil the communist regime was but on arriving in the area, we were struck on how similar it was to the west and how familiar things looked. Also, because nothing has changed since 1986, it was like the land that time forgot, with statues of Lenin and crumbling buildings that haven’t been fixed over time.

What were the highlights for you?
The Red Forest, where the fallout from the reactor explosion mainly fell, read a radiation dose equivalent to receiving two chest x-rays an hour, even after the forest was burnt down and the top 50cm of contaminated top soil removed. Pripyat was eerie – deserted schools, gyms and fairgrounds made for an atmospheric photography session. The missile base and the scale of nuclear devastation that could be unleashed were also quite unsettling.

What memories have you have taken away from the trip?
The desolation of the place really stood out. Reactors and cooling towers abandoned half completed, the gradual take over of vegetation throughout the streets and buildings. The propaganda being taught to school children (including posters on how to throw grenades at the enemy!) and the gas masks in the school was quite unsettling. The visit to the nuclear missile base on our second day was also quite poignant as the realisation that the brink of nuclear war was a key turn and button press away from happening.

Do people really still live there?
Yes. The salaries offered by the government are up to four times more than the rest of the Ukraine so jobs in the nuclear exclusion zone are highly sought after, but require a yearly check-up to monitor the effects of long term radiation. It’s not unusual for workers to bribe doctors to stay in the area if they get a negative check-up result, just to keep the higher salary and an earlier retirement. Workers are currently building a new sarcophagus for the reactor, which is billions of dollars over spent and 10 years overdue. We didn’t see anyone though as it was a weekend tour.

What are the radiation levels like around Chernobyl?
Radiation is measured in micro Sieverts per hour (ÁSv/hr), which is a metric version of the old units of Roentgens. In London, background radiation is 0.1 ÁSv/hr; in downtown Kiev was 0.2 ÁSv/hr; a mile from the reactor read 1.2 ÁSv/hr while 100m from the reactor was 5 ÁSv/hr. In the Red Forest, the reading inside the bus was 12 ÁSv/hr while 5 metres from the bus standing in the forest our guide Yuriy read out the numbers of 50 ÁSv/hr. In comparison, the dose while flying at 35000ft in an aircraft is 4 ÁSv/hr.

Do you think you’d go back?
Yes and no. When we booked we were told we were booked on a photographic tour with a total of eight people. When we arrived in Kiev there were two buses totalling about 30 people, which made getting the lonely, people free shots shown quite hard to achieve – it also made the tour quite rushed and we missed many photographic opportunities. Also, as of October 2010, access inside the buildings for tour groups is being restricted as due to the buildings beginning to crumble and become unsafe. If we were to do another tour, we would hire a private guide to take us so that we could have more time for photography and exploration. One thing is certain though is that nature is taking over quickly and the chance for photographs in the future is rapidly running out.

souporman
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 09:59
Ok guys, have a read of the article here. Did I capture everything/anything I missed?

Looks really good to me mate, don't think there's anything I would add or change.

Just uploading my images now, will send you the link shortly.

courier
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 10:03
great read

Kaben
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 10:27
Sounds good to me Dennis - loving the extra technical insights as well.

Mike
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 10:37
Cool, good read chaps. Good job!

huggles
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 12:46
Excellent work, Mr D!

Dr D
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 07:03
Just heard from Matt at the magazine. At present they are after 2-3 photos which they'll then put on a SINGLE page. There is a possibility of a larger spread in the "medium term" so I've asked him to sit on the article for a while until we can be guaranteed more photos. Distilling that weekend down to 3 photos is almost impossible.

Edit: Further info
Hi Dennis,

I can’t define anything at all at this stage I’m afraid. We could be talking months or a year, or it may be put back further, or it may not even happen at all. The Q&A section we’ve been talking about is a great way to scratch the surface in the mean time, and I’d really like to feature you this month if I can. If you don’t want to do it, though, let me know asap because I’ll need to delve into my emails and find another story to feature.

Thanks,

Matt

So do we publish?

Kaben
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 07:51
Just heard from Matt at the magazine. At present they are after 2-3 photos which they'll then put on a SINGLE page. There is a possibility of a larger spread in the "medium term" so I've asked him to sit on the article for a while until we can be guaranteed more photos. Distilling that weekend down to 3 photos is almost impossible.

Edit: Further info

So do we publish?

I'm erring on the side of no. How do you summarise the trip in 3 photos? Also there were six of us so its not fair to pick just 3.

We could contact other magazines to see if they want the story? ;)

Swaffs
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 09:18
I'm erring on the side of no. How do you summarise the trip in 3 photos? Also there were six of us so its not fair to pick just 3.

We could contact other magazines to see if they want the story? ;)

I may have a source that would be interested in proposing your story to all the press/magazines etc. He is very well connected but I don't know how much control there will be over what's in and whats not. Editors will have the overall say about it.

I'm happy to propose it to him though if you want? Nothing has to be comitted to. And will definately not be looking at free usage, he works on a commision basis, so will drive for it to be a paid article.

Kaben
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 09:50
I may have a source that would be interested in proposing your story to all the press/magazines etc. He is very well connected but I don't know how much control there will be over what's in and whats not. Editors will have the overall say about it.

I'm happy to propose it to him though if you want? Nothing has to be comitted to. And will definately not be looking at free usage, he works on a commision basis, so will drive for it to be a paid article.

Sounds like we have a winner! ;)

IMO that sounds awesome Rich and I would love to try that route. I appreciate you asking around fir us. Will see what everyone else thinks.

Dr D
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 12:26

Sounds like we have a winner! ;)

IMO that sounds awesome Rich and I would love to try that route. I appreciate you asking around fir us. Will see what everyone else thinks.

Am in agreement also if we can ensure more than a token publishing of a photograph or two.

souporman
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 12:46
Sounds good to me.

Neal
4th of November 2010 (Thu), 04:17
Im in favour of that, you cant even sum up Prypiat in 3 photos let alone the whole trip!