PDA

View Full Version : Star Trails

Ethan Erickson
2nd of September 2010 (Thu), 23:30
I have been trying to get better at these. This is my best so far. I took this just outside Sisters, Oregon about a week after a forest fire that burned through the area in the photo.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4887054745_cf975f3305_b.jpg

tk421ek
2nd of September 2010 (Thu), 23:49
Hey, nice shot, these never get old. Love the contrast with the trees too. Thanks for sharing!

Mike_Diz
3rd of September 2010 (Fri), 15:22
Too cool. I've got to try this some day.

wizcreations
2nd of October 2010 (Sat), 16:54
What were your shutter, aperture, ISO settings?

Celestron
3rd of October 2010 (Sun), 15:08
Nice .

Zooropa
10th of October 2010 (Sun), 15:04
I, too, would like to know how this picture was taken. I've tried it where I live, and the pictures take on an orange hue. I'm guessing it's light pollution, but don't know. I'm going to be in a more remote local next month, and would very much like to perfect this before I go. I don't have any post processing software either. Do you need it for a photo like this? If someone could please enlighten me as to HOW this is done, I would very much appreciate it. Thank You.

Casper Smit
11th of October 2010 (Mon), 14:54
I, too, would like to know how this picture was taken. I've tried it where I live, and the pictures take on an orange hue. I'm guessing it's light pollution, but don't know. I'm going to be in a more remote local next month, and would very much like to perfect this before I go. I don't have any post processing software either. Do you need it for a photo like this? If someone could please enlighten me as to HOW this is done, I would very much appreciate it. Thank You.

Some good reading (this site got me interested)

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/725769/0

more good reading

http://theamusing.com/photography/startrails.html/?w=flickr

Zooropa
11th of October 2010 (Mon), 17:51
Thank You so very much Casper!

Ethan Erickson
11th of October 2010 (Mon), 19:24
Sorry, I have not been on this website in a while. The Shutter was open for 2000 seconds ( a little over 30 minutes) f4.5 iso 320

As for post processing, I didn't do any. I don't post process any of my photos if I can help it, if I do its a simple brightness adjustment.

wizcreations
15th of October 2010 (Fri), 16:00
Wow, that's just 1 shot? Amazing

Footbag
15th of October 2010 (Fri), 16:13
Very nice. Not sure if it's your thing, but you could probably take a dark frame and get rid of some of the noise/hot pixels.

Which camera took this? Either way, you must have extremely dark skies.

MyLookingGlassEye
16th of October 2010 (Sat), 16:34
Sorry, I have not been on this website in a while. The Shutter was open for 2000 seconds ( a little over 30 minutes) f4.5 iso 320

As for post processing, I didn't do any. I don't post process any of my photos if I can help it, if I do its a simple brightness adjustment.

A single shot????
BRAVO!!!!

Ethan Erickson
18th of October 2010 (Mon), 13:36
I took this with my 40D and I went back and found the original photo which was just a little brighter so I must have adjusted the brightness a little. But it is still very dark up Three Creeks road where I took this and you can see the glow on the horizon from the small city of Sisters, Oregon. Since I have never really done this before I was a little surprised to see light from such a small city.