PDA

View Full Version : using a "first" surface mirror..

sabianq
2nd of October 2010 (Sat), 04:52
i am trying to get the look of floating without actually tossing stuff in the air..
here is a preliminary trial to see if i can get this effect to work

Impressions, criticism and opinion are so welcome ..
thanks

sabianq
2nd of October 2010 (Sat), 18:06
hmmm.

i need to clean the mirror..

sabianq
2nd of October 2010 (Sat), 18:07
not happy with the color at all
maybe a black background?

TeenPhotog
9th of October 2010 (Sat), 23:03
the shots with the jewels feel like they are falling from the sky. I also kinda like the greenish color.

sabianq
10th of October 2010 (Sun), 04:40
thanks for the input!

that green color is an anomoly.. i have no idea why it is a green tint..
all the light metered at 3300k

vchiline
20th of October 2010 (Wed), 18:06
Have you tried this setup: Have the gems/item site on top of clear glass/plexiglass. This is raised a few inches above your mirror, therefore the items' reflections should appear further out and not just under the objects. But what's critical is CLEAN surfaces, otherwise, refractions/reflections are off, and post-prod work is increased.

Move your camera around and the reflections shouldn't be underneath your object. Play with lighting to get the highlights and shadows how you want.

Finally, use your RAW converter's White Balance eye drop tool and get a consistent color.

TeenPhotog
20th of October 2010 (Wed), 20:46
Have you tried this setup: Have the gems/item site on top of clear glass/plexiglass. This is raised a few inches above your mirror, therefore the items' reflections should appear further out and not just under the objects. But what's critical is CLEAN surfaces, otherwise, refractions/reflections are off, and post-prod work is increased.

Move your camera around and the reflections shouldn't be underneath your object. Play with lighting to get the highlights and shadows how you want.

Finally, use your RAW converter's White Balance eye drop tool and get a consistent color.

nice idea. based off your sig and website i'd guess you are well versed in these things.

welcome to potn. i've learned more here in 6 months than in two classes and multiple books.

sabianq
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 07:55

actually, that is exactly what i did to make these images..
some of the jews were on the mirror and some were on the glass surface raised above the mirror..

i then tried using three pieces of glass stacked ontop of the mirror with a centimeter or so between the glass surfaces..
i ran into reflection problems and tried a polarizer to mitigate the reflections.. but the incidence angle of the light was to much for a single polarizer..
i think that if you dont want any reflections at all, you would neef anti-reflective coating on the surfaces.. and they should be really thin..

this expirement i was using picture frame glass because it was readily available..

my wife wasnt to happy when she found a bunch of pictures on the wall with no glass..

lol

excellent advice..
i was only shooting in JPEG..

thanks for the input!
:)

vchiline
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 12:10
LOL.

Yeah, the more layers of glass, the more complicated the reflections/refractions you need to deal with. But sometimes it's as simple as moving the camera at an angle that works and removes most reflections... but not entirely obvious.

BTW, why don't you want to toss anything in the air? or just have a helper drop them? Is your goal to have some reflections beneath? You can just put a plush cover to prevent any damages.... then again, depends on the stones, etc.... Sometimes doing a live shoot like catching a cherry falling into a martini glass and getting that "perfect" splash works.

Regards,

sabianq
23rd of October 2010 (Sat), 01:05
ohh
glow sticks an a first surface mirror..

pretty!
:)