PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a second flash. Your thoughts?

Rivest
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 00:00
Hi everyone. Thanks for taking your time to answer. It has surely been discussed before (as with every other photography subject) but I want some fresh, up to date opinions.

I have a 430ex which works really well. I did some one light studio photoshoot and was fairly happy with the results. Now I want to have a go at a second flash. It will be use primary as a background/hair light. I'm on a tight budget and I was looking for a cheap option that will get the job done. The only constraint is I don't want a slower recycle time than my 430ex.

I was looking at those Yonguo flashes, which one do you recommend? Ettl is not needed. Do you have other option you would suggest?

Thanks for taking your time to answer.

spacetime
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 00:47
YN560. Using it as a background light might require full power so I'm not sure if recycle time would be the same as the 430EX.

Rivest
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 01:01
Wouldn't a 465/468 do the job? The 560 is more powerful than a 430ex. I thought I was needing less power for a background light?

blocks
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 01:47
A 460II would do it. People say go with the 560 because you can use it at half or 1/4 power and it will recharge faster so it should work with your 430EX. You don't need full power on a 560 unless you are trying to blowout the background and make it all white. Even if you use a gel to color the bg I don't think you would need full power. 465/468 is TTL and you don't need that.

Ken Westermann
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 01:55
Buy a used 550 EX, it has more power and is somewhat inexpensive now

blocks
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 02:01

I was looking for one and they are still $200. A new yongnuo is like $50-75. Yeah, the Canon is much better and you probably do get what you pay for. If you will spend $200 then maybe get a studio monolight and use 430EX for bg/hair light. Rivest, do you have price you want to pay? If you want to spend $100 then few choices, but if it's more then you have more to choose from.

watt100
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 06:34
Wouldn't a 465/468 do the job? The 560 is more powerful than a 430ex. I thought I was needing less power for a background light?

they will do the job or even the cheaper YN460 or YN460 II
I've had the YN-460 for a year and it works great as a manual flash

Tharaka
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 06:54
550ex recharge time is slow as balls

the yn560 is the best choice

the yn460-II would also be great if you're only using it as a background light

CosmoKid
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 07:43
A 460II would do it. People say go with the 560 because you can use it at half or 1/4 power and it will recharge faster so it should work with your 430EX. You don't need full power on a 560 unless you are trying to blowout the background and make it all white. Even if you use a gel to color the bg I don't think you would need full power. 465/468 is TTL and you don't need that.

Actually, when you gel a background you need less power. If not, you lose te color of the gel. A lower power setting will produce more color from the gel.

Rivest
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 10:14
Seems like the 560 is the way to go. It's double the price of a 460, is it worth it?

harcosparky
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 10:23
550ex recharge time is slow as balls

the yn560 is the best choice

I think most shoe mounted flash units have sloooow recycle times.

I'm still using my 550EX's, along with two 580EX II's but they are not cranked out to full power, and thus the recycle times are good. I could have used 430's but would have the power cranked up to where the recycle time becomes an issue. I got a deal for two 550EX's recently on Craigslist for $300 and they were in boxes looking near brand new.

I think a good reason to get a flash with more power then you need is that you can back the power down and get good recycle times.

Rivest
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 10:29
Well, using eneloop in my 430ex, the recycle speed I get is plenty fast for me, even at full power. I'm not burst shooting in the studio :p

watt100
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 10:29

actually you can use the Yongnuo YN460 as a secondary or primary light - it just doesn't have ETTL

Rivest
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 10:33
Does it have enough power/fast recovery times?

yogestee
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 11:21
Have you looked at the Nissin Di866?? One hell of a flash for the price..

Rivest
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 11:23
I did, but looking for a low-budget flash. Having more money to put on I'd go for it for sure.

Albertonman
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 14:56
I would not go with the YN560 as I had that flash and believe me, it worked great for a week and than it stopped firing at every shot , it only flash at every 2nd shot if I was lucky... with that I got myself a YN465 with ttl function as the YN560 didnt have that and so far I am quite happy with the YN465 but I also have a canon 430 ex mark 2 flash that stays on the camera.

Good luck :)

Rivest
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 16:30
I do believe you might had a bad manufactured flash. There is a one year warranty on it, usually sellers are happy to exchange bad items for a new one. But thanks for your input.

Tharaka
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 19:44
actually you can use the Yongnuo YN460 as a secondary or primary light - it just doesn't have ETTL
the 460-II has more power and a faster recharge time..

terbear
21st of October 2010 (Thu), 19:51
Sorta on topic, but not at the same time:

What would be a good low budget primary flash?

I've been looking into yongnuo because it has been suggested, but i'm really not sure. [if this matters, i have a T1i]

Albertonman
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 03:25
I do believe you might had a bad manufactured flash. There is a one year warranty on it, usually sellers are happy to exchange bad items for a new one. But thanks for your input.

I might have had a bad unit, but I have read a lot of complaints about that specific model on the net. Good luck with yours if you decide to get one. I have the 465 like I said and so far its not giving me any problems yet.

Have a nice day. :)

watt100
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 04:45
Sorta on topic, but not at the same time:

What would be a good low budget primary flash?

I've been looking into yongnuo because it has been suggested, but i'm really not sure. [if this matters, i have a T1i]

I've been using the Yongnuo YN465 as a primary flash for about a year - good ETTL, works with the XSi/450D flash menu, has full manual controls, built-in white card and diffuser - all for only $65 !

Tripod68
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 05:33
Just my two cents worth: The Yongnuo flashes are good value for money, if you get a "healthy" copy. Unfortunately, they seem to have some quality problems as I have yet not been lucky with any flashes I have bought from them.

I bought a YN468 which had the features I was looking. It was faulty from the beginning as the power on/off button could not turn the unit off - so I had to take the batteries out to turn it off. Next day the display died, so the only way to communicate with it is via the camera menu with the flash mounted on the hot shoe (so no wireless anymore). Also bought a YN460 II which was excellent - simple and easy to use and it restored my faith in the brand. However, now a couple of weeks later and after perhaps 100 shots it has died and will not fire. Having been hired for a X-mas party in 4 week's time this really throws a spanner in the works - thinking about biting the bullet and going for Canon 430's instead (considering the Nissin brand though)

Long story short - I believe there are a lot of Yongnuo's in use which are working just fine, but there are also a larger risk of getting a lemon compared to Canon's flashes. It's the old "You get what you pay for" I guess.

Happy flash hunting!

watt100
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 06:28
Just my two cents worth:
Long story short - I believe there are a lot of Yongnuo's in use which are working just fine, but there are also a larger risk of getting a lemon compared to Canon's flashes. It's the old "You get what you pay for" I guess.

Happy flash hunting!

my $.02 - the Yongnuo flashes are as reliable as any other flash, including Canon, check out flash "strobist" groups like
www.flickr.com/groups/strobist (http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist)
they use a lot of Yongnuo flashes

Rivest
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 10:18
As for DOA or broken on arrival, there is a store near me that has all those cheap eBay items at the same price that seller on eBay sells them. So I'll buy the flash there, I'll be able to try it before buying :)

yogestee
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 10:46
Just a thought Rivest..

I've been using my old Nikon SB-28 as a spare, third or fourth flash when I shoot off camera..

Any of the older SB series Nikon flashes are rock solid and very reliable.. You might be able to pick one up online..

Delija
22nd of October 2010 (Fri), 19:29
I agree...you can get a very good flash that can be a master to your 430EX - it will give you wireless E-TTL and very close the the same power as the 580 EX (I or II).

I don't know if it will recycle as fast as the 430 EX - I guess that would depend on how you have your ratio set up. But it will always be 100% compatible with the EX system, can be used as a "master" or as a "slave" in a multi flash set-up (or of course as a single and more powerful flash than your 430 EX). It can be used in manual mode, E-TTL or "Multi" (strobe) - And they sell for around $200 - maybe more than the Chinese stuff, but not more than the newer 430 EX II and is more versatile and more powerful than the 430.

Peace,
D.

sniper_md
10th of November 2010 (Wed), 07:48

Tha only problem is - you have to ship it to them. As you can imagine, shipping to China with Tracking number isn't going to cost you 3 dollars.

peterbj7
14th of November 2010 (Sun), 11:33
Somebody's coming down here (Belize) in a few days with a 550EX for sale. I want to use it on my 5D. From what's said above I deduce it'll be a good buy for around $150? Assuming decent condition of course. It will work correctly with my 5D?

I am buying a new 580EX2 when I next get to the States, but I also want a second flash.

How does the 550EX compare with the 430EX in terms of power, recycle time, etc?