PDA

View Full Version : Adoramapix Photobooks

pnmd
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 21:02
I started a smugmug site to start selling pics to models/ clients, and after more than thousand hits in 2 weeks, not one print purchase lol. Everyone said they wanted digital copies (not prints) for Facebook or to email to grandma. They also wanted photobooks. Did a search and Adoramapix got good reviews for their "lay flat" photobooks:

http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/97676/the-great-photo-book-round-up-review-who-makes-the-best-photo-books.html

Link, make a 12x9 photobook of my portfolio to see how it comes before I offer to clients. Anyone order from Adoramapix?

http://www.adoramapix.com/petern/book/peter-nguyen-portfolio-final

addendum:

my Adoramapix photo book review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wnvyI13AOY

screenshot:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5168000047_91d5b751e7_b.jpg

download their ICC profile here:
http://www.adoramapix.com/Support.aspx?SupportID=prepcolor

and how to use the ICC in Photoshop:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/profiles.htm

------------------
3/9/2011

new Adoramapix 12" x 9" photobook came in. Like the first book it's vibrant, nice thick photographic paper, lays flat... did a quick video review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbTnbaU0ao

screenshot:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5060/5512363921_2daa46cde2_z.jpg

Staszek
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 21:16
This is a timely thread. Jared Polin recommends them and uses their books for his work.

http://froknowsphoto.com/digital-photography-tips-portfolios/

SirStuey
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 21:22
I'm just a hobbyist, but I order from AdoramaPix every so often and love their prints. I ordered an 8x8 book in the past, and it came out great. Arranging multi-photo page layouts was a pain in the butt, but the final product gets complimented all around when I show it off.

BTW, your portfolio looks great!

5Dmaniac
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 21:25
I made a book of all my panoramic shots and it came out extremely well (way better than the two Blurb books I tried previously). The colors pop, the paper is first grade and the binding really allows for all pages to lay flat - so panoramas look excellent. I am now in the process of designing a 12x12 coffee table book.

One word of caution. The cover of those books is a metallic type of paper and the ICC profile provided for the inside pages does not work for the cover - my cover was really blown out. After I talked to the folks at Adorama, I found out that they do have a separate ICC profile just for the cover. It is NOT on their website - you have to call them to have them send it to you - or if you want, just email me and I will forward it to you.

Also, their design tool is a little clumsy and time consuming, but I don't mind. The finished product is more important for me than the effort it takes to get it done right.

scorpio_e
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 21:33
I have ordered about 4 books. I noticed the same about the cover . Nice if them to tell you :(
Anyway the book are very nice. I use as a low cost alternative for customers on budgets.

JoeyBowman
2nd of November 2010 (Tue), 22:18
I have ordered approximately 20 books since the spring of 2009. In 4x6, 8x8, 8x10, and 9x12 sizes.

Their photobooks are good quality until you start looking at and comparing them to other companies such as Collages, White House Custom Color and others. Of Course Adorama's are much much much cheaper.

Speaking of prices, Adorama's prices have been raised several times in one year. The first 8x8 26 page book I ordered in spring 2009 was $26.99, now they are $36.95. I have orders inbetween then and now that are different prices including one at 29.99 and 33.99. Yeah its still cheap compared to other companies but now they are now almost 40% more expensive compared to last year...

The print quality is great, the pages kind of lay flat (compare it to other companies and you will see what a true lay flat design is). Their covers are not remotely close to being scratch or scuff resistance. I have had countless issues with their covers being scratched with very lite use, and the corners getting worn very easily. I was told that this should not happen and during the spring of this year Adorama, thanks to Helen one of their reps that checks this board, reprinted several of the books. That was nice but one of the reprinted books arrived with worn edges... The rest are already worn and scratched, and the only time they are touched is when I take them to meetings with potential clients, they are transported wrapped up in styrofoam and are left in a soft bag when not in use. Thankfully I have not had any clients complain to me yet about their edges or covers getting worn or scratched but I expect it to happen eventually.

I do like their books for personal use but I think that if you are selling to clients it may be wise to look into other companies.

Fernando
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 01:04
We have six around the house with another in the way plus two more for our parents. They're nice books. I like them but my side loves them.

pnmd
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 01:23
wow, a wealth of information. thx everyone for sharing your experiences.

I made a book of all my panoramic shots and it came out extremely well (way better than the two Blurb books I tried previously). The colors pop, the paper is first grade and the binding really allows for all pages to lay flat - so panoramas look excellent. I am now in the process of designing a 12x12 coffee table book.

One word of caution. The cover of those books is a metallic type of paper and the ICC profile provided for the inside pages does not work for the cover - my cover was really blown out. After I talked to the folks at Adorama, I found out that they do have a separate ICC profile just for the cover. It is NOT on their website - you have to call them to have them send it to you - or if you want, just email me and I will forward it to you.

I agree, wasn't very impressed with Blurb book I made.
It looks like Adoramapix uses actual, thick photo paper which is great.

I downloaded the "adoramapix_book" ICC printer profile and used it as a "proof setup" view so I hope the prints looks like what I saw in CS5. I also did NOT do auto correct photos which they offer as an option.

Thx for the headsup about the separate ICC profile for the cover.

JoeyBowman: sorry hear to about the worn edges with your books. Did you get the UV protection? I ordered mine with it. This reviewer got the protective coating it looks pretty thick:

http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/my-lay-flat-diy-wedding-photo-book-a-review-of-adoramapix-photobooks/

pnmd
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 01:28
David Bergman made Jon Bon Jovi an Adoramapix photobook ;)
skip to 10:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-mVEXvTvPg

JoeyBowman
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 01:31
JoeyBowman: sorry hear to about the worn edges with your books. Did you get the UV protection? I ordered mine with it. This reviewer got the protective coating it looks pretty thick:

http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/my-lay-flat-diy-wedding-photo-book-a-review-of-adoramapix-photobooks/

That would appear to be a new feature since the last time I ordered an album. It may help.

PhotoBookGirl
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 03:00
I have a full review of AdoramaPix photo books on my site. I write a blog on photo books and if you take a look there, you'll see I'm quite obsessed with them and trying books with different companies. Here's my AdoramaPix Review (http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/my-lay-flat-diy-wedding-photo-book-a-review-of-adoramapix-photobooks/) with photos and full review of the software. A couple things that really distinguish AdoramaPix from other photo book companies: they print on real photo paper, their lay flat spreads are actually single sheets folded in the middle - which means that you don't have any image loss in the gutter - ideal for full page spreads. If you stop by, I figure I'd share with you a $50 gift card giveaway I have for Picaboo (http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/picaboo-50-gift-card-giveaway-for-photobookgirl-com-readers/) - they also have a lay flat called the Madison (http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/my-picaboo-x-review-madison-lay-flat-photo-book/).

pnmd
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 03:42
I have a full review of AdoramaPix photo books on my site. I write a blog on photo books and if you take a look there, you'll see I'm quite obsessed with them and trying books with different companies. Here's my AdoramaPix Review (http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/my-lay-flat-diy-wedding-photo-book-a-review-of-adoramapix-photobooks/) with photos and full review of the software. A couple things that really distinguish AdoramaPix from other photo book companies: they print on real photo paper, their lay flat spreads are actually single sheets folded in the middle - which means that you don't have any image loss in the gutter - ideal for full page spreads. If you stop by, I figure I'd share with you a $50 gift card giveaway I have for Picaboo (http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/picaboo-50-gift-card-giveaway-for-photobookgirl-com-readers/) - they also have a lay flat called the Madison (http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/my-picaboo-x-review-madison-lay-flat-photo-book/).

thx for posting, I found your blog previously. The Madison looks really nice, leather cover etc but pricey at $156. How does the paper compare to Adoramapix? Worth the extra price?

Peacefield
3rd of November 2010 (Wed), 08:59
Their photobooks are good quality until you start looking at and comparing them to other companies such as Collages, White House Custom Color and others. Of Course Adorama's are much much much cheaper.

This is where I'm at. They are nice books and it's shocking how much less expensive they are than some other options (I use Zookbinders), but there really is a difference and Adororama Pix doesn't fit for the client that I target.

Fernando
4th of November 2010 (Thu), 15:21
This is where I'm at. They are nice books and it's shocking how much less expensive they are than some other options (I use Zookbinders), but there really is a difference and Adororama Pix doesn't fit for the client that I target.

100% true. For our purposes, and since my wife hadn't really ever seen one of the high-end books the AdoramaPix books come in as good enough.

-Fernando

danpass
4th of November 2010 (Thu), 16:16
A surprise contender recently is Walgreens books. Cover wrap (not dustcover), spine print, decent web-based layout system.

Print quality is 3/5

I'll definitely check out Adoramapix for that layflat setup and print quality.

xcel730
8th of November 2010 (Mon), 18:47
Here's my take with Adoramapix Photobooks:

Overall, I really like the way the photobooks look, and most likely use them again. Here's my breakdown:

Pro:
* Quite inexpensive compared with other vendors
* The photo cover is gorgeous
* The print quality is great (see con also).
* The pages are nice and thick
* The book lays flat, which makes two page spread look good (no gap in between)
* The online software is fairly intuitive to use in comparison to others (at least for me)
* The customer service is exceptional

Cons:
* The cover and pages are fairly easy to scratch. I've tried taking good care of my photo book and notice minor wear from the cover and pages in a short period of time.

* It's best to use their ICC profile when editing. My monitor is calibrated with XRITE EyeOne Display 2, but the print for my first designed album came out to be too dark.

* You don't have the option of adding more pages. You could choose the number of pages, but can't add additional ones if you need just one more page.

There's probably more, but that's all I could think of for the time being

5Dmaniac
9th of November 2010 (Tue), 07:56
I just got my 2nd book back from them and it is gorgeous. This time I used a separate profile for the cover and it worked perfectly. For those who did not follow the entire thread: I had issues with the colors on the cover being blown out because they use a metallic paper for it instead of the Fuji Chrystal of the inside pages. Adorama CS sent me a profile for the cover and that worked great.

I agree that their software is rather inflexible but print quality is more important to me than convenience.

pnmd
9th of November 2010 (Tue), 20:18
Got my 12x9 Adoramapix photo book yesterday. I'm really impressed with the quality. The pages are thick Fuji photo paper. I got the UV protection. No auto correction in printing. I used their ICC printer profile in Photoshop.

I think it's more than adequate for my model shoots. And since no one buys prints anymore, several models have already expressed interest in purchasing a photo book :)

quick video review and compared it with my old Blurb book and mentioned some lighting on few pics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wnvyI13AOY

5Dmaniac
9th of November 2010 (Tue), 20:29
Peter, I agree 100% with your review. There is just no comparison between the Blurb books and Adoramapix. My next project is a 2011 calendar as Christmas gift for friends and relatives and given my great experience with Adorama I will use their services again.

pnmd
9th of November 2010 (Tue), 20:53
Peter, I agree 100% with your review. There is just no comparison between the Blurb books and Adoramapix. My next project is a 2011 calendar as Christmas gift for friends and relatives and given my great experience with Adorama I will use their services again.

yeah, Adoramapix will definitely be my place for now in terms of price and photo quality. I think if they offered different cover options like leather or linen they can capture a bigger share of the market but then cost would go up.

Let me know how the calendar comes out, plan on doing one also.

HelenOster
10th of November 2010 (Wed), 03:38
Here's my take with Adoramapix Photobooks:

Overall, I really like the way the photobooks look, and most likely use them again. Here's my breakdown:

Pro:
* Quite inexpensive compared with other vendors
* The photo cover is gorgeous
* The print quality is great (see con also).
* The pages are nice and thick
* The book lays flat, which makes two page spread look good (no gap in between)
* The online software is fairly intuitive to use in comparison to others (at least for me)
* The customer service is exceptional

Cons:
* The cover and pages are fairly easy to scratch. I've tried taking good care of my photo book and notice minor wear from the cover and pages in a short period of time.

* It's best to use their ICC profile when editing. My monitor is calibrated with XRITE EyeOne Display 2, but the print for my first designed album came out to be too dark.

* You don't have the option of adding more pages. You could choose the number of pages, but can't add additional ones if you need just one more page.

Great review, thank you, and thanks also to everyone else for the compliments which I've passed over to the team at the lab.

Thank you also for the suggestions and recommendations eg re durability and material of the covers, adding additional pages etc.

You're probably aware that AdoramaPix is growing rapidly and introducing improvements all the time. I know that your feedback is taken seriously and as and when we grow our capabilities, these will certainly be addressed.

rohicks
10th of November 2010 (Wed), 16:32
I have ordered approximately 20 books since the spring of 2009. In 4x6, 8x8, 8x10, and 9x12 sizes.

Speaking of prices, Adorama's prices have been raised several times in one year. The first 8x8 26 page book I ordered in spring 2009 was $26.99, now they are $36.95. I have orders inbetween then and now that are different prices including one at 29.99 and 33.99. Yeah its still cheap compared to other companies but now they are now almost 40% more expensive compared to last year...

The print quality is great, the pages kind of lay flat (compare it to other companies and you will see what a true lay flat design is). Their covers are not remotely close to being scratch or scuff resistance. I have had countless issues with their covers being scratched with very lite use, and the corners getting worn very easily. I was told that this should not happen and during the spring of this year Adorama, thanks to Helen one of their reps that checks this board, reprinted several of the books. That was nice but one of the reprinted books arrived with worn edges... The rest are already worn and scratched, and the only time they are touched is when I take them to meetings with potential clients, they are transported wrapped up in styrofoam and are left in a soft bag when not in use. Thankfully I have not had any clients complain to me yet about their edges or covers getting worn or scratched but I expect it to happen eventually.

I do like their books for personal use but I think that if you are selling to clients it may be wise to look into other companies.

So what companies are you suggesting to order through? Links possibly?

JoeyBowman
10th of November 2010 (Wed), 18:25
So what companies are you suggesting to order through? Links possibly?

www.collages.net
www.whcc.com

rohicks
10th of November 2010 (Wed), 19:00
www.whcc.com

Had a few photo friends not like WHCC.
"Dull colors"

JoeyBowman
10th of November 2010 (Wed), 19:25
Had a few photo friends not like WHCC.
"Dull colors"

I think everyone's experiences with a lab can vary. Some people are thrilled with Adorama's books while others such as myself feel that they can still be improved on.

Some people swear by labs such as Millers or WHCC, others think their prints look a little "dull".

pnmd
10th of November 2010 (Wed), 20:23
I think everyone's experiences with a lab can vary. Some people are thrilled with Adorama's books while others such as myself feel that they can still be improved on.

Some people swear by labs such as Millers or WHCC, others think their prints look a little "dull".

I agree labs all vary. I got some pics from Photoreflect and allowed them to do color correction and pics came out dark and way oversaturated.

I don't have a device to calibrate my monitor so I used Adoramapix's ICC profile and printed it out with my Epson 1400. Pics were still dark, I'm sure it's b/c my Macbook Pro screen is set too bright from factory like most monitors out there. I increased the Lightness +8 in hue/ saturation and printed the pics again and it was good. Did a batch process of my pics and used the Lightness +8 versions to make the Adorama book you see in my video review. YMMV :)

PhotoBookGirl
3rd of January 2011 (Mon), 05:02
@pnmd - sorry I didn't respond - I didn't see your question til now... Picaboo Madison's paper is completely different from AdoramaPix's. The Madison is printed on 110 lb. cardstock which gives off a pearlescent finish. AdoramaPix prints theirs on real photo paper and the pages are heavy and stiff - but still bendable. Both lay flat. They are completely different products so it will really come down to preference. I know some readers commented that they weren't used to the "shimmery" look of the Madison and it is quite pricey in comparison to the AdoramaPix book. But what helps is the Picaboo Groupon that's been offered quite frequently (I have an in-depth reply (http://www.photobookgirl.com/blog/my-lay-flat-diy-wedding-photo-book-a-review-of-adoramapix-photobooks/) that I posted to a reader on my blog comparing the two companies which you may find interesting. (It's a reply I posted on 9/21/2010 at the bottom of the page)

BreitlingFan
3rd of January 2011 (Mon), 10:10
I received a book from Blurb, and it was mildly jacked up (ink blotches), so they sent a replacement. It was kinda' jacked up (more ink blotches), so they sent me another. The third one had no ink blotches, but the pages were horribly misaligned.

They'll get no more of my business, so I'm appreciative of this thread...

RDKirk
3rd of January 2011 (Mon), 15:09
I just ordered my most recent book a couple of weeks ago. Given the pricing, I think the quality is more than satisfactory, but I'm annoyed by the minimum number of pages.

unlimited6986
4th of January 2011 (Tue), 18:01
I ordered mine cant wait to get it. Would you guys use this for a wedding album?

S-Man
4th of January 2011 (Tue), 18:53
I've used them for a few "Budget Brides" who couldn't afford the premium lines. I also use them for families and seniors. FWIW, KISS uses the same kind of paper in their albums. I wouldn't use these as premium albums, but they're great for parent albums too.

On another subject, how is the quality of Adorama's Gallery Wrap Canvas Prints? Anyone?

HelenOster
5th of January 2011 (Wed), 04:12
I just ordered my most recent book a couple of weeks ago. Given the pricing, I think the quality is more than satisfactory, but I'm annoyed by the minimum number of pages.

Thanks for the feedback. I have passed your comments to the Director at AdoramaPix.

♫★Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year ★♫

illrooster132
6th of January 2011 (Thu), 10:49
i like kodak gallery books. but i will try these. the pricing seems higher but lets see what the quality is like.

unlimited6986
6th of January 2011 (Thu), 19:48
I've used them for a few "Budget Brides" who couldn't afford the premium lines. I also use them for families and seniors. FWIW, KISS uses the same kind of paper in their albums. I wouldn't use these as premium albums, but they're great for parent albums too.

On another subject, how is the quality of Adorama's Gallery Wrap Canvas Prints? Anyone?

Ok thx i should get mine in tommorow so i will see. Not to thread jack but whats a good site for a wedding album? If you dont use these?

S-Man
7th of January 2011 (Fri), 00:47
The best albums are self-designed. Most companies will design for you though. KISS, Finao, Forbeyon, VisionArt, Asuka, Leather Craftsmen, just to name a few.

Mike30D
7th of January 2011 (Fri), 07:06
Ok thx i should get mine in tommorow so i will see. Not to thread jack but whats a good site for a wedding album? If you dont use these?

Take your pick....
High End Albums Include:

Finao - http://www.finaoonline.com/
Graphi Studio - http://www.graphistudio.com/usa/index.html
Queensberry - http://www.queensberry.com/
Art Leather - http://www.artleather.com/
Picto Book - http://www.pictobooks.com/html/index.php
Leather Craftsman - http://www.leathercraftsmen.com/
Jorgensen - http://www.jorgensen.com.au/
La-Vie - http://www.la-viealbum.com/
Kiss Wedding Books - http://www.kissweddingbooks.com (http://www.kissweddingbooks.com/)

Mid-Range Albums Include:

Album Art - http://www.albumart.com/
Albums Unlimited - http://www.albumsunlimited.com/albumsFlushMount.htm
Zook Book - http://zookbinders.com/
White Wedding Album - http://www.whiteweddingalbum.com/
Premeria - http://www.premiraalbums.com/
Albums Inc - http://www.albumsinc.com/
Candid 2000 - http://www.candid2000.com (http://www.candid2000.com/)
Jones Book - http://www.jonesbook.com/index.php
Vision Art - http://www.visionartbook.com/
The Together Book - http://www.thepbook.com/
Bound to Last - http://www.boundtolast.co.nz/index.html

Asuka - http://asukabook.com/index.html
Cypress - http://www.cypressalbums.com/html/welcome.html

Low Priced Alternatives: (last resort?)

Snapfsh - http://www.snapfish.com/
Rag and Bone - http://www.ragandbonebindery.com/
My Publisher - http://www.mypublisher.com/
Shared Ink - http://www.sharedink.com/
Blurb - http://www.blurb.com/
Shutterfly - http://www.shutterfly.com/
Lulu - http://www.lulu.com/

rohicks
7th of January 2011 (Fri), 13:38
Good post Mike.

bulayog
7th of January 2011 (Fri), 15:05
Take your pick....
High End Albums Include:

Finao - http://www.finaoonline.com/
Graphi Studio - http://www.graphistudio.com/usa/index.html
Queensberry - http://www.queensberry.com/
Art Leather - http://www.artleather.com/
Picto Book - http://www.pictobooks.com/html/index.php
Leather Craftsman - http://www.leathercraftsmen.com/
Jorgensen - http://www.jorgensen.com.au/
La-Vie - http://www.la-viealbum.com/
Kiss Wedding Books - http://www.kissweddingbooks.com (http://www.kissweddingbooks.com/)

Mid-Range Albums Include:

Album Art - http://www.albumart.com/
Albums Unlimited - http://www.albumsunlimited.com/albumsFlushMount.htm
Zook Book - http://zookbinders.com/
White Wedding Album - http://www.whiteweddingalbum.com/
Premeria - http://www.premiraalbums.com/
Albums Inc - http://www.albumsinc.com/
Candid 2000 - http://www.candid2000.com (http://www.candid2000.com/)
Jones Book - http://www.jonesbook.com/index.php
Vision Art - http://www.visionartbook.com/
The Together Book - http://www.thepbook.com/
Bound to Last - http://www.boundtolast.co.nz/index.html

Asuka - http://asukabook.com/index.html
Cypress - http://www.cypressalbums.com/html/welcome.html

Low Priced Alternatives: (last resort?)

Snapfsh - http://www.snapfish.com/
Rag and Bone - http://www.ragandbonebindery.com/
My Publisher - http://www.mypublisher.com/
Shared Ink - http://www.sharedink.com/
Blurb - http://www.blurb.com/
Shutterfly - http://www.shutterfly.com/
Lulu - http://www.lulu.com/

Nice! But where would you classify Mpix, Mpix Pro and Bay Photo?

unlimited6986
9th of January 2011 (Sun), 17:01
yea same question what would you put the mpix hard cover book at?

Mike30D
9th of January 2011 (Sun), 17:08
I would classify books from places like Mpix and Adorama or any other lab in the low priced category. They might be nice but they don't compare in quality to mid-range books from places like Asukabook or Vision Art. Look around and you'll notice a lot of these labs are producing these albums/books but I would still rather go with an actual album company instead of a pro photo lab, but that's just me.

unlimited6986
9th of January 2011 (Sun), 17:12
What do those two places usually start around? I have to register to see.

Mike30D
9th of January 2011 (Sun), 17:41
What do those two places usually start around? I have to register to see.

That's exactly why you have to register, their prices are not available to the general public, only those who have an account with them. You won't find anyone posting those prices in a public forum and I'm not gonna be the first, sorry. Most of the album companies only sell to professionals and that's why prices are not openly displayed.

Michael Cheddar
9th of January 2011 (Sun), 18:03
I had a question for the OP:

I've seen your video on youtube before, and always wondered what you did to get the front and back covers "silver" looking, was that an option? or was the image you used grey (but then the metallic paper turned it silver)?

angryhampster
9th of January 2011 (Sun), 18:59
I can put in a good word for Picaboo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/angryhampster/2010/102810-album03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/angryhampster/2010/102810-album04.jpg

VERY high quality stuff. Their software isn't perfect, but their customer service is fantastic and they have good deals popping up frequently.

rohicks
9th of January 2011 (Sun), 19:00
yea same question what would you put the mpix hard cover book at?

Mpix would be like blurb books.

Bob_A
10th of January 2011 (Mon), 09:34
OK, I have to tell you that right now I'm pretty unhappy with Adoramapix.

After reading on their site and seeing that they had UPS 1 day air delivery I spent a great deal of time creating a book for my father's memorial later this month (January 22nd) where I need 13 copies. They also say they take 7 days to process.

I go to place my order and I can only get UPS surface mail to Canada, and when I talk to a rep on the phone they tell me I can FedEx the books with no idea of delivery time and it will take two weeks to make them. Pretty disappointing to go in believing I had days to spare to meet my deadline only to now find out it was a waste of time. The rep was very polite, but was clear they can't deliver on time.

rohicks
10th of January 2011 (Mon), 10:36
I think that's pretty fair actually. For the size of your order. I'm not trying to step on toes, but why did you wait till now to start doing them?

Bob_A
10th of January 2011 (Mon), 11:28
I think that's pretty fair actually. For the size of your order. I'm not trying to step on toes, but why did you wait till now to start doing them?

Well, people don't always die on schedule. ;)

I also wouldn't think that 13 books is a big order.

Adorama simply needs to correct their website to ensure their customers have the correct information. They don't mention that Canadian customers will get poorer delivery options than US customers and they don't stat that processing will take longer than 7 days for orders that have more than1 book.

HelenOster
10th of January 2011 (Mon), 12:25

Adorama simply needs to correct their website to ensure their customers have the correct information.

You are absolutely correct. I've notified the webmaster and emailed the Director at AdoramaPix.
Did you actually place your order? If so, email me your order number and I'll see if there is anything I can do to help.

Bob_A
10th of January 2011 (Mon), 16:33
You are absolutely correct. I've notified the webmaster and emailed the Director at AdoramaPix.
Did you actually place your order? If so, email me your order number and I'll see if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks Helen.

I didn't place the order since I didn't think there was any hope. And to make things worse I totally messed up after getting off the phone and deleted my final work instead of my earlier backup (maybe I'm cursed!).

I'll place it tonight. Also, is there any chance I can get my file recovered? If so I'll send you my username.

HelenOster
10th of January 2011 (Mon), 16:55
Thanks Helen.

I didn't place the order since I didn't think there was any hope. And to make things worse I totally messed up after getting off the phone and deleted my final work instead of my earlier backup (maybe I'm cursed!).

I'll place it tonight. Also, is there any chance I can get my file recovered? If so I'll send you my username.

John at AdoramaPix MAY be able to do something, but he'll need all your details. I'll PM them to you.

Bob_A
11th of January 2011 (Tue), 01:21
John at AdoramaPix MAY be able to do something, but he'll need all your details. I'll PM them to you.

No need to recover the file Helen, I was able to recreate it. I ordered the 13 books tonight and sent you an email with the details.

edinburgh photographer
11th of January 2011 (Tue), 05:46
Hi Steve,

They look quite good. Unfortunately looks like they are in the US though, not UK?

Bob_A
11th of January 2011 (Tue), 17:51
Ok, maybe Adorampix has some problems with their website, but the service provided by Helen and John with regards to my order has been very impressive.

Linda Browne
11th of January 2011 (Tue), 20:49
Ok, maybe Adorampix has some problems with their website, but the service provided by Helen and John with regards to my order has been very impressive.

Great to know. I've recommended them to a some clients, but haven't had feedback on what route they've gone and if they were satisfied. Putting that on the "to-do" list.

Bob_A
19th of January 2011 (Wed), 22:18
Great to know. I've recommended them to a some clients, but haven't had feedback on what route they've gone and if they were satisfied. Putting that on the "to-do" list.

Adoramapix continues to impress by doing an absolutely fantastic job getting my books to me in record time. And they look great!

If I were their boss I'd take John and Helen out for a very nice lunch and then give them each a big raise :)

Pinto
19th of January 2011 (Wed), 22:52
Adoramapix continues to impress by doing an absolutely fantastic job getting my books to me in record time. And they look great!

If I were their boss I'd take John and Helen out for a very nice lunch and then give them each a big raise :)

That's a nice customer service story. Glad it all worked out for you.

HelenOster
20th of January 2011 (Thu), 05:50

If I were their boss I'd take John and Helen out for a very nice lunch and then give them each a big raise :smile:

From your mouth, to his ears!!http://***************net/not-tagged-smiley-10001.gif (http://***************net)

rossjbosse
22nd of January 2011 (Sat), 08:14
Hey John,

I would suggest you become a fan of Adoramapix on Facebook. The reason why...Ingrid posts regular updates on the status of production. During and just after the holiday season they get swamped and the 7 day turnaround becomes almost 15. Also in the early fall there are several Jewish holidays for which they are closed. Facebook has been the best way to keep abreast of the situation. I hope you like your books...I have always been very satisfied with the product.

npompei
30th of January 2011 (Sun), 11:40
Just wanted to say I got my book last weekend and it rocks! The quality of the paper is top notch and the binding seems great also. The only thing I dont like is the cover. Hopefully soon they will come out with a different material for the cover. Mine is black and I don't like how finger prints show up all over the place. That said, people have commented on it and really like it. For the price I dont think you can beat it.

Chad R.
8th of February 2011 (Tue), 23:31
nice thread, good info. thanks!

gh patriot
9th of February 2011 (Wed), 10:35
Peter, which theme did you choose on their site, the closest one I can find and my best guess is the Gallery theme in the panoramic section. Your book looked great and I plan on making some for my brides this year.

gh patriot
9th of February 2011 (Wed), 12:44
Ok, since I dont really know much about photoshop and softproofing, should I just have adorama do their color correction? Printing at home I use a ilford paper profile in lightroom and that works great but Ive never done any work with ICC profiles in photoshop.

pnmd
9th of February 2011 (Wed), 22:14
Peter, which theme did you choose on their site, the closest one I can find and my best guess is the Gallery theme in the panoramic section. Your book looked great and I plan on making some for my brides this year.

choose "General" then "Build Your Own" this will give you a blank pages

Ok, since I dont really know much about photoshop and softproofing, should I just have adorama do their color correction? Printing at home I use a ilford paper profile in lightroom and that works great but Ive never done any work with ICC profiles in photoshop.

I looked at your Flickr and you know about post processing so I wouldn't let Adorampix do color correction. IMO, color correction is for people who send in snapshots straight from camera. I'm not sure what ilford profile looks like. But if you have a chance you should try looking at your pics with Adorama's ICC profile in Photoshop. Good luck :)

Bob_A
9th of February 2011 (Wed), 22:22

I didn't have time to soft proof and edit all of the images for the book they did for me, so I let Adoramapix do the color correction. Instead of using some sort of auto-correction, their tech evaluates contrast, density and color balance for each individual image and adjusts as required. Sure, I believe I could have done a bit better job (most likely just a difference in taste), however the results were still terrific.

If you're new to PS or have never soft proofed before, chances are Adoramapix's technician will give you a better result.

pnmd
10th of February 2011 (Thu), 01:25
Just ordered a photobook of my recent backlighting series. It's now 2 weeks for lab time, was 1 week when I ordered the first time. Suspect they're becoming more popular. I'll make another video review when I get the photobook. I think someone from Adoramapix should bump up my order on the build list since I made a positive first video lol ;)

Here's what the photobook looks like online when you're finished. I wish there was a way to strip all the Adoromapix logos from this page so clients can't see it. So for now, depending on the client, I've resorted to taking screen shots of each page for them to review prior to ordering. btw highly recommend letting clients review the book first. Had a client who was mad that "tops of her heads were chopped off. That's my edit style lol. Re-did another book for her. It's good thing Adorama saves the books for few months.

http://www.adoramapix.com/petern/book/backlighting-series-1/znctwb2fvu

gh patriot
10th of February 2011 (Thu), 02:09
Just ordered a photobook of my recent backlighting series. It's now 2 weeks for lab time, was 1 week when I ordered the first time. Suspect they're becoming more popular. I'll make another video review when I get the photobook. I think someone from Adoramapix should bump up my order on the build list since I made a positive first video lol ;)

Here's what the photobook looks like online when you're finished. I wish there was a way to strip all the Adoromapix logos from this page so clients can't see it. So for now, depending on the client, I've resorted to taking screen shots of each page for them to review prior to ordering. btw highly recommend letting clients review the book first. Had a client who was mad that "tops of her heads were chopped off. That's my edit style lol. Re-did another book for her. It's good thing Adorama saves the books for few months.

http://www.adoramapix.com/petern/book/backlighting-series-1/znctwb2fvu

Good idea with the screenshots, I probably wouldn't have thought of that and thanks for the tips on the books. Im looking forward to making some of my own.

S-Man
10th of February 2011 (Thu), 04:01
Peter that looks sick dude. Yeah the preview is real slick. I did the same thing with some clients of mine, I screen-shot the pages and had them preview it after cropping. I'm sure if they were to offer this sans branding the price would have to go up.
I like how you use the vertical books too, instead of the landscape books. Definitely gonna have to put together a compilation of folio stuff and get one printed up. I like your minimalistic cover design choice too.
FWIW, I just got a blurb book I made from my vacation to Colorado. It looks OK, but even with 'premium' paper, it doesn't hold a candle next to Adorama.

Gundogs
10th of February 2011 (Thu), 11:42
Hi Steve,

They look quite good. Unfortunately looks like they are in the US though, not UK?

Do you have photobooks made here in the UK, ep? I've only ever had a few done, at bobbooks.co.uk they came out really good, and everyone was pleased with them.

pnmd
10th of February 2011 (Thu), 12:05
Peter that looks sick dude. Yeah the preview is real slick. I did the same thing with some clients of mine, I screen-shot the pages and had them preview it after cropping. I'm sure if they were to offer this sans branding the price would have to go up.
I like how you use the vertical books too, instead of the landscape books. Definitely gonna have to put together a compilation of folio stuff and get one printed up. I like your minimalistic cover design choice too.
FWIW, I just got a blurb book I made from my vacation to Colorado. It looks OK, but even with 'premium' paper, it doesn't hold a candle next to Adorama.

Thx Sam! Yeah, wish Adoramapix would offer a more elegant solution than screenshots for photographers to use for clients. The price I charge for a photobook is as much as the photoshoot charge. And if a client finds Adoramapix's prices after seeing their logo on the preview page, they may balk. But it's the hours of photoshop clients are paying for.

Almost went with the landscape book but I like the way vertical opens like a magazine. Also, went with the 12x9 vertical book because each pic spread is HUGE ;)

gh patriot
16th of February 2011 (Wed), 13:13
Is there an easy way to use AdoramaPix to make an 8x10 proof book with 4 images per page and include the file name below each image. I figured it out manually but it took a while. Is there a way to save a template you designed?

npompei
17th of February 2011 (Thu), 09:54
Yes you can save your templates. You can create one spread template (your 4 images per page) and then duplicate that layout over and over as you go. Its fairly simple. You can then just add the different pics into the layout on each seperate page.

gh patriot
17th of February 2011 (Thu), 14:03
Yes you can save your templates. You can create one spread template (your 4 images per page) and then duplicate that layout over and over as you go. Its fairly simple. You can then just add the different pics into the layout on each seperate page.

Thanks, it worked just spiffy, what a time saver.

pnmd
9th of March 2011 (Wed), 12:30
new Adoramapix 12" x 9" photobook came in. Like the first book it's vibrant, nice thick photographic paper, lays flat... did a quick video review :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbTnbaU0ao

Michael Cheddar
9th of March 2011 (Wed), 13:53
Wow that looks awesome, question, how did you build the covers? Was the silver an option or an image you used? And also how did you upload your wordmark with transparencies, cause when I upload my logo onto the book (.png interlaced) it flattens the transparency.

pnmd
9th of March 2011 (Wed), 14:26
Wow that looks awesome, question, how did you build the covers? Was the silver an option or an image you used? And also how did you upload your wordmark with transparencies, cause when I upload my logo onto the book (.png interlaced) it flattens the transparency.

to build my books I choose: "General" then "Build Your Own" this will give you a blank pages. The cover is white by default. Then I just put my logo which was on white, on the cover. Can't upload transparencies. Metallic is Adoramapix's default for all covers so it makes white look metallic silver-ish.

Michael Cheddar
9th of March 2011 (Wed), 15:13
to build my books I choose: "General" then "Build Your Own" this will give you a blank pages. The cover is white by default. Then I just put my logo which was on white, on the cover. Can't upload transparencies. Metallic is Adoramapix's default for all covers so it makes white look metallic silver-ish.

Awesome thank you sir, love your work.

pnmd
9th of March 2011 (Wed), 22:21
Awesome thank you sir, love your work.

thx. btw some great pics on your website!

also they're having 35% off photobooks until March 21 ;)

http://view.e.adorama.com/?j=fe601575756d0d7f7115&m=fefa1c7077670c&ls=fdf1137174620d7c7c177571&l=fec31d727461017b&s=fe2f1270716404747d1772&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe1b15777d6d027f761d77&r=0

macroshooter1970
9th of March 2011 (Wed), 22:28
Nice video, might get a book from them now after seeing yours. Thanks.

briancmo
29th of November 2011 (Tue), 21:00
Hi All,

Have been making my albums with Asukabook for a while now and love them. EVERY one of my clients wants one with their package. Here's a quick video review

http://thephototip.com/2011/11/asukabook-neoclassic-album-review/

drumstix
4th of March 2012 (Sun), 00:44
Does anyone know the process of printing sample photobooks with adoramapix? Is there any certain size, parameters, etc. I dont see it as a purchase option?

scorpio_e
4th of March 2012 (Sun), 00:53
Their book are great. There leather covered ones make a nice option for an inexpensive wedding album.

HelenOster
4th of March 2012 (Sun), 01:20
Does anyone know the process of printing sample photobooks with adoramapix? Is there any certain size, parameters, etc. I dont see it as a purchase option?

Drop me an email: Helen@adorama.com

trailguy
4th of March 2012 (Sun), 13:27
I spent a couple hundred dollars on items at Adorama, and they gave me a FREE 12 page photo book, letting me chose design type from a large menu.
It's the first place I look when shopping for items.

Looony2nz
5th of March 2012 (Mon), 10:51
subscribe

thonee27
14th of October 2014 (Tue), 22:13
I know this is an old threa but I'm confuse whether or not Adoramapix ships to Canada? When I tick International shipping destination message pops up that they don`t ship these items internationally, but if I check their Price list it`s $12 to ship to Canada.

scorpio_e
17th of October 2014 (Fri), 13:29
^ Ask their customer service department :)

LibbyAdoramapix
19th of October 2014 (Sun), 16:12
I know this is an old threa but I'm confuse whether or not Adoramapix ships to Canada? When I tick International shipping destination message pops up that they don`t ship these items internationally, but if I check their Price list it`s $12 to ship to Canada.

Hi - this is Libby the social media manager for Adoramapix. We are just back from the Holiday Sukkot and we are checking on this issue. I believe this to be a bug and I have reported it. I clicked on US (instead of int'l) and put in my Canadian address - and it had no problem delivering to my Canadian address -- but I had to click on US not international. Feel free to email me directly at libby@adoramapix.com if you have any issues. In the meantime, we'll fix this issue.

Libby