PDA

View Full Version : First Night Shot attempt

Tyger
31st of August 2005 (Wed), 22:27
I haven't tried to do any of these shots so i grabbed my tripod and took one off my balcony and zoomed in on the highway. not too bad for a first attempt, kinda looks like i've got one of those star filters on:)

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6615/night9st.jpg

Tyger
1st of September 2005 (Thu), 19:06
I'm curious to know if anyone can explain why i got this result. Is it because of the slow shutter speed?

here are my settings,

Tripod: Used
Camera Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed) 13
Av(Aperture Value) 22.0
Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering
ISO Speed 800
Lens Sigma APO Macro DG 70.0 - 300.0 mm
Focal Length 300.0 mm
White Balance Mode Tungsten
AF Mode Manual focusing

ddelallata
1st of September 2005 (Thu), 20:01
I got the same effect with my 17-40L lens not too long ago. ??? I'd also like to know. It doesn't bother me though.

ricohcam01
1st of September 2005 (Thu), 20:11
Can you tell me what your apature was set at here?
Actually can you give all the settings you can?
I want to make I am right before I tell you. LOL

ricohcam01
1st of September 2005 (Thu), 20:25
Here is one of my first night or dusk shots.
You can tell by the sky that I used a low fstop open apature to let in the light. I know its a little grainny
because I used an old roll of 120 medium format film that had been sitting in the camera for sometime. 120 film is better used just refridgerated. This is a scan from the Neg.

I think you used a high fstop or closed apature and that is why you have the star look around the lights but I could be wrong.

Tyger
1st of September 2005 (Thu), 21:41
uummmm, it's listed on my second post:)

JayKitty
1st of September 2005 (Thu), 21:57
the longer shutter speeds allow the rays of light to be captured. correct me if im wrong.

here's one that i got

f/9
8 seconds
ISO 400

http://www.prophetproductions.org/ITT_edit_REND.jpg

Tyger
1st of September 2005 (Thu), 22:15
That's awesome Jay! even the moon looks cool that way. I guess it's a work around instead of using a star filter:)

It really adds a different characteristic doesn't it.

Doutchie
2nd of September 2005 (Fri), 08:23
I like that kind of shot... I got the same effect with long exposure, but, I seem to have less points to the star effect. Any reason why?

f/18
5 seconds
ISO 1600

Bag
2nd of September 2005 (Fri), 15:44
I think the reason why some night pictures have more points to the star is a result of the quality of the lens. lower end lenses have 5 "blades" while higher end lenses have more than 5. I may be wrong though.

ricohcam01
3rd of September 2005 (Sat), 07:34
Did some research.

Lens Flare:

Any image with an intense source of light is likely to "flare" The effect is more pronounced with older lenses or cheap cameras. The two controls are the size and shape of the diaphrame (aperature) and the degree of exposure given. The larger the diaphrame (aperature) say f2.8 the more circle-shaped the light spread will be. Smaller the aperatures say f22 usually create a multi-pointed star shape.

So we are all right, a little speed and a little aperature.

Source of info: The photographer's hand book 3rd edition by John Hedgecoe.

Hope this helps

Doutchie
3rd of September 2005 (Sat), 08:28
Thanks Ricoh. Very informative. I will have to experment.

MattyB
3rd of September 2005 (Sat), 08:36
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95806
'flyingpete's post should clear things up

OiPaz
3rd of September 2005 (Sat), 09:05
the longer shutter speeds allow the rays of light to be captured. correct me if im wrong.

As far as I know the "star effect" is due to the combined action of diffraction (at high f/ numbers) and diaphragm blades. BTW, it seems that your lens has 9 blades, hasn't it?

davepgh1
4th of September 2005 (Sun), 13:53
I think the reason why some night pictures have more points to the star is a result of the quality of the lens. lower end lenses have 5 "blades" while higher end lenses have more than 5. I may be wrong though.

I was counting the points when I read this, I think he may have something; cropped down lens and time for light to leak into the pictures.

I posted this at the time I read it, I think everyone has logical points to make on this.

DaneR
5th of September 2005 (Mon), 07:24
That's quite an interesting effect. It looks like what i see with my glasses off.

wildanimals
6th of September 2005 (Tue), 12:53
Right, if I get off my glasses I see the same.
Try to buy some glasses for your cameras :D :D :D

JayKitty
6th of September 2005 (Tue), 22:34
As far as I know the "star effect" is due to the combined action of diffraction (at high f/ numbers) and diaphragm blades. BTW, it seems that your lens has 9 blades, hasn't it?

umm i honestly have no idea. i just really like both of my lenses.