PDA

View Full Version : Can I capture nighttime creatures with a G9?

tonyptony
13th of November 2010 (Sat), 09:47
I live in a wooded area and we have quite a bit of wildlife. I've been wondering how / if my G9 can be set up to capture nighttime shots, to see if any interesting creatures are stopping by our feeders and watering holes. I use CHDK but have not yet tried either the motion detection or intravolometer features. I'm hoping I could use one or the other for this purpose. What I'm unsure about is whether I'd have a better chance at getting a usable image either by using very long exposure times, or by setting up an infrared light to illuminate the scene and figure out what the right manual exposure settings would be for that. Will a G9 even produce an image if a subject is lit with IR?

I know that if I get anything at all the image quality won't be that great, but this is more for curiosity than anything else.

teekay
13th of November 2010 (Sat), 10:55
I suggest that the best solution is to buy a "trail cam" since they are specifically designed for the job, easily moved from place to place, operate day and night, and take video or still shots. Most good ones have infrared LED lights for night use.

Admittedly, the image quality doesn't get close to what you'd get with a G-series, but the setup to get the same versatility with a G camera would be quite complex.

I got a Bushnell Trophy cam recently and have been setting it up at night in my garden. So far it has captured video of many deer, black bear, coyote, raccoons and cats!

tincanman99
13th of November 2010 (Sat), 11:35
I have found the G9 does not do so well at night unless you put it on a tripod and really lower the ISO. But than you have the other problem of a a longer shutter. Animals moving will become a blur.

tonyptony
13th of November 2010 (Sat), 13:57
I suggest that the best solution is to buy a "trail cam" since they are specifically designed for the job, easily moved from place to place, operate day and night, and take video or still shots. Most good ones have infrared LED lights for night use.

teekay, I might be tempted if I planned to make more use of that kind of device. For the one or two times I'd be looking to see what's out there the price is a little high.

I have found the G9 does not do so well at night unless you put it on a tripod and really lower the ISO. But than you have the other problem of a a longer shutter. Animals moving will become a blur.

I do have a tripod so I can handle a lower shutter speed. I'll experiment a bit to see if I can get anything. I guess the one thing I wasn't sure of was whether using an IR light to illuminate the scene would work, given the G series IR filter.