PDA

View Full Version : Monochrome and noise?

MCB
3rd of September 2005 (Sat), 22:01
What do you think? Does the noise work? Sepia too boring? Too dark? Or do you just hate babies?? ;)
Thanks for looking.

JaertX
3rd of September 2005 (Sat), 22:14
I don't like the noise, but then it might look okay on a print instead of the monitor. The sepia looks yellow on my monitor.

Who hates babies? lol...they are very nice pictures though...weird PS work, imo, but nice pictures. You might try lighting him on the far side next time. "short lighting", I think it's called?

MCB
9th of September 2005 (Fri), 19:01
I don't like the noise, but then it might look okay on a print instead of the monitor. The sepia looks yellow on my monitor.
Yeah, that's the "experimental" part of the pictures. I'm not sure I like it, either, but it does look a lot better on the full resolution version. Compressing it down to under 800 pixels pretty much ruined the noise.

Who hates babies? lol...they are very nice pictures though...weird PS work, imo, but nice pictures. You might try lighting him on the far side next time. "short lighting", I think it's called?
It wasn't exactly my choice to pick that lighting. I try, but babies tend to move around a lot whether you like it or not. That is just natural light coming in the window and I have no studio lighting to do anything fancier than that. But you're right, rotating him a bit could be better, if he'd sit still for it. :)

Any other tips for improvement would be appreciated! Thanks.

BottomBracket
9th of September 2005 (Fri), 23:39
I like these pics, though they too seem a bit too yellow. The second is my favorite, but that thing under the kid's eye is distracting. Perhaps it can be cloned away?

MCB
10th of September 2005 (Sat), 08:01
I like these pics, though they too seem a bit too yellow. The second is my favorite, but that thing under the kid's eye is distracting. Perhaps it can be cloned away?
I wasn't trying to get some exact "sepia" tone, so maybe I should have avoided using that word. I wanted a yellowish monochrome. I've had a little trouble getting my monitor calibrated well, but the prints look very similar to what I'm seeing on my monitor. Close enough, anyway. The color could be a little browner, I suppose, but again, I wasn't really trying to get "sepia."

And the thing under his eye is a tear. The whole purpose of that series of pictures was to try to catch a good pouty look and a tear. I'm glad you noticed it, but I won't be cloning it out. :) The full resolution version is much clearer and the tear is obviously a tear (at least to everyone that's seen it).

Since I was trying for more of a sad, pouting look, maybe blue would be better. The current tinting doesn't really help establish the mood.

Thanks for the feedback.

saqib
10th of September 2005 (Sat), 09:41
i like the first one. second one just doesn't do it for me - sorry. you don't see enough of the kid, which is fine if you just cut him off in the center. right now you can kinda make out the right eye but not quite, so you end up squinting a wee bitty - but hey i am not expert ;)

but like i say the first one is neat.

Actionphotog
12th of September 2005 (Mon), 16:28
Both photos are good
nothing like experimenting to get it right....but I think you got it