PDA

View Full Version : Best places to buy bikinis/lingerie

zack_mcc
14th of December 2010 (Tue), 15:08
Just curious what places you all have found with good deals on wardrobe items. I like to keep a few things on hand just in case the items the model brings dont really fit my taste.

I normally let the models keep the items since I wouldn't want to shoot multiple models in the same outfit anyway, so I like to get good deals whenever possible.

On rare occasion, I've found closeout deals on "quality" bikinis, but all too often I try to sort through the cheap stuff on ebay and end up being less-than-thrilled about the quality of the item.

So I guess thats the topic.... where have you found stuff of decent quality thats reasonably cheap? Pointless to pay $50+ for a bikini to use once... so I guess $20-25 is the range I consider to be a "good deal".

The Loft Studios
14th of December 2010 (Tue), 17:32
eBay.....

Cosha
15th of December 2010 (Wed), 07:24
...but all too often I try to sort through the cheap stuff on ebay and end up being less-than-thrilled about the quality of the item.

No one reads anymore...?

The 'Best' Place is asking your female friends, i know i know what your thinking, this sounds strange asking my female friends for clothing!

You would be very surprised (Actualy no you wont) how many items of UNUSED clothes your female friends have!

All still with tags on, never worn etc...

Mostly last years they brought for that summer etc...

sspellman
15th of December 2010 (Wed), 08:05
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Fit/size/color coordination are essential for lingerie and bikinis. I would spend your $$$ instead on decor, set items, lighting, and better talent with good wardrobe to improve your photography. Cheap clothing that fits badly will not get you far.

-Scott

zack_mcc
15th of December 2010 (Wed), 08:07
No one reads anymore...?

The 'Best' Place is asking your female friends, i know i know what your thinking, this sounds strange asking my female friends for clothing!

You would be very surprised (Actualy no you wont) how many items of UNUSED clothes your female friends have!

All still with tags on, never worn etc...

Mostly last years they brought for that summer etc...

I appreciate the reply. I'll have to try that... I hadn't thought of asking female friends.

I'll share one place that I was able to find good deals. http://www.sale-bikini.com/
I ordered about 6 suits from them earlier this year, and was very pleased with the quality. Unfortunately, it seems like they had a limited stock and have not added any more items... so the good deals I found there this summer are now out of stock/no longer on there.

zack_mcc
15th of December 2010 (Wed), 08:09
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Fit/size/color coordination are essential for lingerie and bikinis. I would spend your $$$ instead on decor, set items, lighting, and better talent with good wardrobe to improve your photography. Cheap clothing that fits badly will not get you far.

-Scott

I totally agree with what you are saying, but sometimes there are exceptions to the rules. I ordered items from ebay and wasn't happy with them so I trashed them. Sometimes you stuble upon great suits at cheap prices (like the link above).

Im not looking for cheap suits, Im looking for nice suits at cheap prices/closeout, etc.

The Loft Studios
15th of December 2010 (Wed), 10:54
I've already been down the road the OP is referring to.....
And yes, I did "completely" read his post as Cosha assumed that I didn't. I've been a Commercial Catalog Photographer for over 20 years and just like the OP, wanted to start my own collection of outfits. And after asking female friends or I should say female model friends where do they get their outfits from that they model in..... Most of their responses?

Simple..... eBay!

So if the OP is coming across cheap outfits, then I would suggest to purchase a better grade of outfits or pay close attention to what you are wanting to buy. You can find Lingerie, Swimsuits, all sorts of quality garments (NEW and slightly USED) for "pennies on the dollar". I started 10 years ago, collecting shoes and outfits (all via eBay). I have Victoria Secrets, Bebe, Donna Karen, etc (ALL Name Brand)..... from women who purchase outfits and NEVER wear them or worn once or twice, or feel like it's last years fashions, and they sell these outfits starting at 99 cents. I've NEVER (and I repeat NEVER) paid more than $25.oo for any outfit I've wanted (most ranging from $10.oo-$15.oo). I've purchased Name Brand outfits with $100.oo tags still on them for $20.oo. In fact, I just recently purchased a Brand New $69.oo Victoria Secrets Terry Cloth Bath Robe (for my Nude Models to wear on set) for $17.oo (and some change - Shipping Included).....

KEEP SEARCHING..... the deals are there, you just have to find them!

Cosha
16th of December 2010 (Thu), 00:53
I've already been down the road the OP is referring to.....
And yes, I did "completely" read his post as Cosha assumed that I didn't. I've been a Commercial Catalog Photographer for over 20 years and just like the OP, wanted to start my own collection of outfits. And after asking female friends or I should say female model friends where do they get their outfits from that they model in..... Most of their responses?

Simple..... eBay!

So if the OP is coming across cheap outfits, then I would suggest to purchase a better grade of outfits or pay close attention to what you are wanting to buy. You can find Lingerie, Swimsuits, all sorts of quality garments (NEW and slightly USED) for "pennies on the dollar". I started 10 years ago, collecting shoes and outfits (all via eBay). I have Victoria Secrets, Bebe, Donna Karen, etc (ALL Name Brand)..... from women who purchase outfits and NEVER wear them or worn once or twice, or feel like it's last years fashions, and they sell these outfits starting at 99 cents. I've NEVER (and I repeat NEVER) paid more than $25.oo for any outfit I've wanted (most ranging from $10.oo-$15.oo). I've purchased Name Brand outfits with $100.oo tags still on them for $20.oo. In fact, I just recently purchased a Brand New $69.oo Victoria Secrets Terry Cloth Bath Robe (for my Nude Models to wear on set) for $17.oo (and some change - Shipping Included).....

KEEP SEARCHING..... the deals are there, you just have to find them!

See the above post was MUCH more helpful than your first 'Ebay....' post :D and common, admit it you actualy enjoyed typing all that too!

josh5k
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 03:01
If you are going to let the models keep it, why not pay them a bit extra to get their own (new ones) - most models have a set they bring anyway? Perhaps they'd be able to pick ones that suit their body best?

zack_mcc
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 11:19
If you are going to let the models keep it, why not pay them a bit extra to get their own (new ones) - most models have a set they bring anyway? Perhaps they'd be able to pick ones that suit their body best?

I haven't had the best luck with asking models to bring particular items. Often times there interpretation of what I had in mind is considerably different. Perhaps im not being descriptive enough, but if I supply the items myself then there is no chance for a miscommunication.

chrisvl
26th of December 2010 (Sun), 13:39
ebay is great but you have to pick your items carefully. Flea Markets are great also
Been stocking up all year.
Every time I shoot the wife though she goes I like this and keeps it but oh well.

www.snaz75.com - check the clearance section

Mark_Cohran
28th of December 2010 (Tue), 12:14
I use Bikini Beach to get swimwear for my models:

http://www.bikini-beach.com/

RStorts
30th of December 2010 (Thu), 21:47
thanks for sharing . all r great ideas.

andyffer
2nd of January 2011 (Sun), 22:25
http://www.the-bikini.com/

FastFred
8th of January 2011 (Sat), 11:35
Here's what I've learned from my wife, who's an excellent shopper and bargain hunter... We shop at places like Ross, Marshals, TJmax, etc. If you look around, you can find pretty good deals there on what they consider to be close-outs or last years fashions. They put stuff on clearance as the seasons change. Right now, in January, all of their Spring stuff is arriving, and the Winter clothes are on clearance and priced very reasonably. If you shoot in a climate controlled studio as I do, it doesn't matter much as far as shooting bikinis in January or Winter outfits in the Spring.

Just FYI, I'm not affiliated with them, just sharing my knowledge.

woodsters
13th of January 2011 (Thu), 01:13
Besides what Fred said, try local lingerie/adult novelty stores. We have stores like Adam and Eve here plus one called Priscilla McCalls. They always have stuff on sale in a bin or on a certain rack. A lot of stuff marked down to $10 or less that was more expensive at one time. Make contact with the manager and let them know what you are doing. They might be willing to work with you to make sure you get first pick on some things. Plus they might be willing to spread the word about you to their clients who might want to get their photos taken.

DisrupTer911
13th of January 2011 (Thu), 11:40
Or even better would to be come the stores shooter for their website

randys1a
14th of January 2011 (Fri), 12:21
Maybe not bikinis/lingerie but for props try goodwill and other thrift stores they have a lot of items that make wonderful props.

sdsanta
18th of January 2011 (Tue), 21:54
try www.wickedtemptations.com

chrisvl
18th of January 2011 (Tue), 22:37
Love their stuff but it's not cheap. The OP is looking for discount stuff.

Ledrak
8th of March 2011 (Tue), 00:36
http://www.the-bikini.com/

Nice link. Didn't know about them. I too seem to go through this headache every year of having to restock my wardrobe.

Ingerson"PCD"
8th of March 2011 (Tue), 09:54
Ross, Marshalls, TJMaxx. etc. You'd be surprised at the brands you can get there for a bit of nothing.

AllisonFaith
10th of March 2011 (Thu), 14:43
Victoria Secret always has some on sale/clearance, and then the sales are really great too.

Also, Target, very cheap, and very cute!

phantelope
21st of January 2013 (Mon), 12:45
I also like Target, cheap, but certainly good enough quality to last for one shoot. Big variety too and what you don't use (tags still on) you can return with no problem. They have tons of swimsuits, sexy shorts, tank tops, etc. And really cheap.

fk6065
22nd of January 2013 (Tue), 23:25
http://www.yandy.com/ has some really good deals. Also watch Fredericks of Hollywood for their store wide 50% off sales.

And finding a local shop is always helpful. I have built a great relationship with one by me and the owner discounts all my orders and even calls me when something comes in that she knows fits my style of shoots

woodsters
28th of January 2013 (Mon), 14:47
Look on sites for their clearance. Someone mentioned wicked temptations. I've bought a bunch of stuff for my wife for $10 and under on their clearance section and have been very happy with it. I bought some stuff on eBay recently for around the same price, but it ended up being cheap Chinese stuff.

I was going to do the same thing, buy a bunch of inexpensive lingerie and let models choose what they wanted to shoot in and keep it. But my wife nixed that idea. Told me I wasn't buying lingerie for other women. Lol. I just have the model bring something they already have. It's usually something different and the size is right. I do however make recommendations of where they can buy stuff. I'm paying for my studio and equipment. The girl can at least show up with her own wardrobe unless it is something very specific.

Footbag
8th of February 2013 (Fri), 09:56
Check the Le Petit Coquette blog. They let you know when there are couture lingerie sales. The quality is much better then novelty, and it looks it. Of course so is the price. But if you only check during sales and only buy at the best discounts, you can do very well.

nathancarter
8th of February 2013 (Fri), 11:58
Lousy question, but here goes anyway:

A couple of weeks ago, there was a spam advertiser who was replying to all these "where to find clothes" threads with their website of cheapo knockoff clothes. I wanted to look at it, since my wife's dance/cabaret troupe often needs a bunch of matching outfits that will be used for one routine or show and then stored indefinitely. I can't remember the site name, and it seems that all those spam/ad posts are removed now.

If anyone remembers, care to PM me the address? thanks. It was something like ___-luvers.com , I dunno.

johnvanr
10th of February 2013 (Sun), 05:50
Trashy.com, esp the bargains section.