PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Flash and 60D

mattness
20th of December 2010 (Mon), 14:19
Hi,

I have a Canon 60D. At the bottom of the Shooting 1 Menu is a Flash Control Menu. Under that menu is an External Flash Function Setting menu that I assume is for adjusting an external flash from with in the camera and not having to use the external controls built on to the flash?

My question is...will 3rd party flash's designed to be used on Canon cameras be able to be controlled by the on camera menus like a genuine Canon Speedlight would?

What are the pro's and con's of controlling the flash through the on camera menu screen?

I'm trying to decide if I should just get a 430EX II or should I go with something like a Metz 50 AF-1 or the older 48 AF-1? They seem to be a little bit more powerful (but not by much) and they seem to offer pretty much the same functionality for slightly less money. Although they don't come with an external shoe for off camera flash. :-(

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

msowsun
20th of December 2010 (Mon), 14:30
A 3rd party flash will not be able to fully use the Canon in-camera flash menu. Depending on the flash you will only be able to access some basic functions or none at all. Other functions will be "grayed" out.

In-flash menus can difficult to use so having an in-camera flash menu can go a long way to getting the most out of your flash. (especially for a newbie flash user)

PacAce
20th of December 2010 (Mon), 16:12
Hi,

I have a Canon 60D. At the bottom of the Shooting 1 Menu is a Flash Control Menu. Under that menu is an External Flash Function Setting menu that I assume is for adjusting an external flash from with in the camera and not having to use the external controls built on to the flash?

My question is...will 3rd party flash's designed to be used on Canon cameras be able to be controlled by the on camera menus like a genuine Canon Speedlight would?

What are the pro's and con's of controlling the flash through the on camera menu screen?

I'm trying to decide if I should just get a 430EX II or should I go with something like a Metz 50 AF-1 or the older 48 AF-1? They seem to be a little bit more powerful (but not by much) and they seem to offer pretty much the same functionality for slightly less money. Although they don't come with an external shoe for off camera flash. :-(

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

The Metz AF series flashes are the only 3rd party flashes that I know of, to date, that can be controlled via the camera menu like the later Canon EX flashes can be. What I'm not sure of, though, is whether that's also true for the 60D or if Metz will need to first release a firmware update for those models you mentioned (or at least for the older 48 AF-1).

mattness
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 12:04
Thanks Leo for your comments.

The more I've been thinking about it; by the time I buy a foot to hold the Metz for off camera use I'm almost at the price of the Canon 430EX II which comes with the foot. It's good to know that Metz is trying to make their flashes work as close to how Canon does. I really like that Metz puts the USB port on the flash for upgrade support.

I'm still interested if anyone has first hand knowledge of the 48 AF-1 or the AF 50-1 working seamlessly with the 60D. Sounds encouraging that it just might be so.

Matt

omer
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 13:52
I am not familiar with the metz but i suggest to go with the 430II it is a great flash and now (for 7D & 60D) it can be controlled as remote slave from the camera (which i doubt if Metz can do)

Austin.Manny
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 14:26
I would definitely go with the 430exII. That way you know it will work seamlessly with your in-camera flash menu and if you decide you want to trigger it with your 60D's onboard flash, you can do that too. Also, the build quality of the 430exII is likely to be much better than the Metz. That's your best bet.

mattness
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 16:27
So if the 60D didn't have the built in flash controller then I would have to use a third party controller or something like a 580 EX II to act as the master? Is that correct? And those would have to be attached to the camera?

For my next question...how does this wireless system work? Is it IR or RF? Is the on board flash, i.e. the pop flash, triggering the slave flashes or is it some other mechanism?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't understand this whole wireless flash thing.

Matt

msowsun
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 16:36
For my next question...how does this wireless system work? Is it IR or RF? Is the on board flash, i.e. the pop flash, triggering the slave flashes or is it some other mechanism?

The 60D and 7D use light pulses from the built-in flash to trigger the wireless slave units.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html#wireless

Canon’s wireless E-TTL system employs brief digitally-encoded pulses of light (either visible or infrared, depending on the master unit used) to transmit commands from a master flash unit to a slave unit or multiple slaves. Since the system relies on special digital messages built into the light pulses it’s immune to the problem that regular optical slave flash units have - that of being triggered accidentally in response to other flash units firing. (unless you’re near other photographers who are also using Canon wireless flash units, of course)

PacAce
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 16:39
So if the 60D didn't have the built in flash controller then I would have to use a third party controller or something like a 580 EX II to act as the master? Is that correct? And those would have to be attached to the camera?

Yes to all three questions.

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't understand this whole wireless flash thing.

Matt
The Canon flash wireless system work using IR and not RF. The light used to communicate with the slave flashes is emitted by the pop-up flash as a series of visible light pulses.

mattness
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 16:55
Ah I see. That makes a lot of sense using digitally encoded light/IR to trigger the flash.

So the Metz AF 50/48 - 1 or the Sigma 530 DG Super that you have Mike would work the same way as the Canon Speedlights?

Matt

msowsun
21st of December 2010 (Tue), 17:33
So the Metz AF 50/48 - 1 or the Sigma 530 DG Super that you have Mike would work the same way as the Canon Speedlights?Yes.