PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Reflector - Will It Work?

kbreit
11th of September 2005 (Sun), 13:00
I made a reflector today. I'd like to know what people's opinion on it is. I took cardboard, and taped some aluminum foil to it, that's all. Has anyone had experience on this type of reflector?

SkipD
11th of September 2005 (Sun), 13:40
That will reflect light well, but it won't break it up (soften or diffuse it) very well unless you super-crumpled the aluminum foil prior to putting it on the board. Even then, folks more often are looking for a flat (as in not shiny) white surface for a reflector that will also soften the light.

kbreit
11th of September 2005 (Sun), 13:48
Would a piece of poster board work well for that?

JaertX
11th of September 2005 (Sun), 13:52
FYI - Just plain white posterboard works okay for a homemade reflector.

KevC
11th of September 2005 (Sun), 14:47
I bought some white boards for this exact purpose =)

chtgrubbs
11th of September 2005 (Sun), 15:34
Next time try Fomecor instead of poster board. It's lighter and more rigid. A favorite of commercial photographers for decades. It's available in white, silver, gold, black (for blocking light) and other handy colors and comes in sheets as large as 4x8 feet.

SWPhotoImaging
11th of September 2005 (Sun), 22:24
I have a pair of auto windshield sun shades that are a crinkly silver reflective material. They have wire edges (inside a cloth band), that allows them to fold up into about a 12" circle, and they fit in my photo-backpack.

These work great as quick-deploy reflectors, but need someone to hold them, since they are just a reflective circle, with no mounts of any kind, but what do you want for $7.99US?

Merle
12th of September 2005 (Mon), 10:29
For a good multipurpose home made reflector use a piece of white foamcore artboard and tape foil to one side. White for bright sunlight conditions and foil for lower light conditions. It will work as well as anything you can buy. It may not have as professional look to your clients or be as convenient for traveling to locations as something you might buy.
;) :) :o

Good Shooting to ya !!
Merle

Curtis N
12th of September 2005 (Mon), 10:40
I have a pair of auto windshield sun shades that are a crinkly silver reflective material. They have wire edges (inside a cloth band), that allows them to fold up into about a 12" circle, and they fit in my photo-backpack.I have the same thing. The only drawback that I have found is that they lack rigidity and are hard to control outdoors if there's any significant breeze. Indoors, taped to some sort of stand to hold them up (those $30 Wal*Mart tripods are good for something) they work quite well.

SWPhotoImaging
12th of September 2005 (Mon), 11:52
The only drawback that I have found is that they lack rigidity and are hard to control outdoors if there's any significant breeze.

You mean you don't have a pair of "reflector babes" to hold them for you?
:lol:

Curtis N
12th of September 2005 (Mon), 13:20
You mean you don't have a pair of "reflector babes" to hold them for you?Someday, in my dreams, I will have the budget for that.;)

What I meant was, even with someone holding those big, flimsy windshield reflectors, the wind will twist them up and make it nearly impossible to keep them flat and properly aimed.

Jon Foster
12th of September 2005 (Mon), 22:47
I use foam core board as well...

Jon.