View Full Version : 1930s colour tinting

Brian05
22nd of January 2011 (Sat), 08:34
http://www.pbase.com/brianlambert/image/132000472.jpg
24-105L 1/100 f/8 ISO1250

recrisp
22nd of January 2011 (Sat), 10:01
That's really pretty cool!
I am sure that a lot of people don't realize that before color shots were made affordable, or common, they were colored by "colorist retouchers". (I think that's what she called it, I used to be a Photoshop retoucher, so I may be thinking that... heheh)
My mother did that as her first job out of high school back in the late 30's.
Years ago, back in the late 70's I tried my hand at it, it was kind'a fun, but really didn't make sense since I I could do color. heheh

That shot really looks old too.

Randy

Brian05
22nd of January 2011 (Sat), 10:19
Hi Randy, I got this old Kodak set last year off ebay to go with my old camera collection and thought I'd take a pic of it this morning and just added a bit photoshop touches.
That must have been a fascinating job your mother had and a lot of skill and patience.
The set I have came with a leaflet entitled 'Charm of Colour - How to Hand-Colour your Snapshots - a new and fascinating method'.
It was reprinted in 1934 from the 'Kodak Magazine', 3d monthly or 3s/6d annual subscription!

7D_Sniper
22nd of January 2011 (Sat), 14:06
Love it, thanks for sharing

dru8p
23rd of January 2011 (Sun), 00:16
very cool

tmcman
23rd of January 2011 (Sun), 01:34
A neat piece of photo history.
An idea that could be applied to digital b/w prints...
Thanks for sharing.
How did one use the medium bottle and the pencils?

Brian05
23rd of January 2011 (Sun), 16:24
The medium was applied to the print first with the coton wool, not leaving the surface too wet.
Colour was then applied by scribbling lightly, holding the pencil rather flat so that the surface of the print was not damaged.
Variety of tint could be obtained by mixing colours on the print itself and blending them with a loose bit of cotton wool, eg red and yellow mixed to make flesh tints. Colour can be removed if needed with medium applied with the cotton wool.
Only prints with a fine grain or art surface was suitable, not glossy prints.
After the print was allowed to dry, colours became permanently fixed.

rick_reno
24th of January 2011 (Mon), 02:03
That's a good one.

bbgeekchic
26th of January 2011 (Wed), 18:06
I never knew this at all. Its amazing to see where the history of photography has come from. How we used to do things and how they have evolved. Who'd have thought that pictures were hand colored..

apixelintime
1st of February 2011 (Tue), 19:24
lookie... a 1930's version of photoshop!

HarleyHuffman
2nd of February 2011 (Wed), 00:14
GREAT piece of history, thanks for sharing :cool: