PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to join a photo challenge weekly or monthly?

NILOLIGIST
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 14:00
All,

Anyone interested in having a photo challenge? If you are, there are a few things that need to be worked out. First, we need to figure out who is going to judge the submissions, what the topics will be and how often. The floor is now open to suggestions:

THINGS TO CONSIDER
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What will be the topic/subject ?

How frequent or the contest/challenges - weekly/monthly?

What are the rules of the the contest/challenges ?

Who would like to judge submissions?

Note:

There are NO PRIZES awarded, this is for fun an artistic value ONLY.

The contest/challenge WILL NOT BE IN THIS THREAD. It will be under Photography, Share Photos.

Open to suggestions.

Big Smile,

slejhamer
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 15:26
It's a great idea; hopefully more of you G3ers will venture into the shared photo forum.

As it stands now, anyone can post a challenge at any time. There have been two recently, and there were more a year or so ago. Think of an interesting subject, or a technique that might help others learn, and fire away! :)

My only question is on the need for judges, esp. if it is done under "shared photos" rather than the critiquing forum. In order to not scare anyone away, I suggest limiting critiques to only those people who request them for their shots. Just a thought...

For "rules," you can see my paper & light challenge rules, or those set in the salt challenge a while ago (from which I borrowed heavily) and modify them as you like.

*** Also, if participants do not have access to a web server, I am willing to host, for a limited time, a limited number of

NILOLIGIST
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 15:36
slejhamer,

Wow, what a response. Thank you for offering the web space, words of encouragement and advice, I really appreciate.

I am just going to wait on the responses, see if anyone is interested. The only problem is, I don't see much interest.

For the meantime, I will just keep shooting and learning my camera.

BTW, getg3 put me up to this...LOL

ArabAdmiral
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 16:02
thats a good idea... but i wonder as you wonder.. who will judge the pictures and will justification will be put on the pictures so people will learn the weak points!? but any how if this will work out i will be the first who will participate.

Naser

slejhamer
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 16:10
niloligist wrote:

Sounds like getg3 needs to initiate the next challenge...
:D

NILOLIGIST
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 16:26
ArabAdmiral,

Well, we will see. There are a few really good and technical people on this site that I feel would be more and qualified to judge the photos. We could use a voting system which more people might like.

For now, we will just wait for the responses.

getg3
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 16:35
slejhamer wrote:
niloligist wrote:

Sounds like getg3 needs to initiate the next challenge...

I did not initiate this. I just asked Niloligist to post pictures, no contest, no competition! I think most of us (including myself) are still learning how to use our new toys and get the optimum results. That is why we all come to this forum. By posting our pictures somebody from this forum can help us to improve our skills.

getg3

DanyaL
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 16:37
Yes, I would love to particapate in this niloligist. It sounds great!

NILOLIGIST
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 16:56
slejhamer,

That sounds like a PLAN to me.

NILOLIGIST
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 17:04
DanyaL,

Sounds great, glad to hear that. Now, we must come up with a topic/subject.

I will pick the catagories and we choose. Here is an idea of what it would look like. I think we should go with the voting system. We vote on the catagory, then we vote on the winners, first, second and third.

Let me reiterate, there are NO PRIZES.

Here is an example of Catagories

Light

Color - Blue, Orange, Yellow, etc,...

Macro - Flowers, Insects, etc,...

Landscape

Keep the feedback coming. This is my first attempt at this and not only would I love for this to be successful, I also want this to be informative and a learning experience for all. Please keep giving me your responses and feedback.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

astro
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 17:04
I'm in!!!!!

Astro:D

NILOLIGIST
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 17:05
getg3,

Don't be so MODEST!! You told me to go for it, so here it is...

LOL

teekay
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 17:11
Excellent idea but why not skip the judging and so keep it simple? Also, how about a new "Challenge" forum rather than putting this in Share Photos?

NILOLIGIST
16th of April 2003 (Wed), 17:17
teekay,

Sounds like a good idea to me, we will put it to a vote. Forgive me, I am so competitive. LOL

jboyd
17th of April 2003 (Thu), 09:55
I will join in. I would like to see a new forum area, maybe called photo challenge. Maybe if Pekka is reading this she can let us know if a new one can be added just for the challenge.

NILOLIGIST
17th of April 2003 (Thu), 10:26
jboyd,

That sounds like a good idea, I hope Pekka agrees. A challenge would just clutter up the G3 page, it would be much better to have a seperate area just for that. I read another thread where someone requested the same thing and Pekka said to just put them in the post photo area, so we may have to do it there.

Big Smile,

RossLee
17th of April 2003 (Thu), 12:42
Nilologist

Count me in !

- Ross -

NILOLIGIST
17th of April 2003 (Thu), 13:03
RossLee,

Cool, glad to hear it.

Big Smile,

iesrick
18th of April 2003 (Fri), 15:47
Since there are already challenges in the Share Photos Forum why is there a need to reinvent the wheel and do it in here as well? It doesn't seem to make sense.

NILOLIGIST
18th of April 2003 (Fri), 16:44
iesrick,

Good point, but I can think of 3 reasons:

1-Because we CAN.

2-Because we WANT TO.

3-Because we are going to do it BETTER.

Thank for the engaging question iesrick, I almost had to think about the answer. Iesrick, if you don't want to join that is fine, but some of us would like to so please don't discourage us that do want to do it.

Also, it would be nice if you joined because I looked at your website and you have some really nice shots. So perhaps you can rethink your position or at least let us have our fun.

Thanks for the post,

Anyone else want to give their reasons, please do.

LOL

astro
18th of April 2003 (Fri), 19:19
ok....so what's the challenge.I'm ready .....bring it on!!!!

I'm really looking forward to this

NILOLIGIST
18th of April 2003 (Fri), 22:12
astro,

Oh no, now you. The challenge is for NEWBIES...LOL

It will start soon, after more people respond, then we will begin the process of picking the topic.

Smirk,

astro
18th of April 2003 (Fri), 22:55
hey now...I'm still a newbie I just got my G3 in feb.:D

Astro

I'll keep my eyes open

NILOLIGIST
18th of April 2003 (Fri), 23:14
astro,

Sure, sure...Your to old to participate, join the over Feb club.

LMAO

satnitefever
18th of April 2003 (Fri), 23:53
hmm intresting, I would love to praticipate(sp)...

NILOLIGIST
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 00:11
satnitefever,

LOL..Okay!!

Grin*

NILOLIGIST
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 00:33
Time to vote on our first topic/subject...NOW!!

**This is my first time attempting something like this, any help and or feedback will be greatly appreciated.**

Everyone needs to submit their ideas on what the topic/subject will be. I will submit some choices to start
off, anyone can join in. When we have a few subjects, we will narrow them down and vote.

Suggested topic/subjects
--------------------------------

Color-Pick a color and take photographs of anything that is that color.

Mood/Emotion-Pick an emotion and photography anything that reflect that emotion or mood.

Trees-Photographs trees.

Animals-Photograph animals.

Another idea would be to do themes for the holidays coming up except Easter.
Going forward, we could do the rest of the holidays. Mother's day, Father's day,
Memorial day, Forth of July, Labor day for starters.

Well, let the games begin.

kal99
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 00:50
I'm in.
This is a great idea!
Please let me know what the parameters are.

If interest is weak, maybe it could be a bi-monthly thing.

Karl

astro
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 00:51
ok here's my suggestion for the first contest.simply"lonely".Just something that would suggest loneliness or a sense of solitude.

Just my 2 cents

NILOLIGIST
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 00:52
kal99,

That is a good idea. I don't see that much of a response yet, so we will see. What topic/subject would like to see us start with?

Thanks for posting.

Savage
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 01:04
This sounds highly interesting!

And Hi, btw. I'm a G3 newbie (got the G3 on the 14th ;) )
I've been lurking the forum for a month or so, but now it was time to register.

NILOLIGIST
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 01:26
Savage,

WOOOOHOOO!! Welcome!! This is newbie heaven here. LOL. So do you want to join the challenge too? If so, state what you would like the topic/subject to be.

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum, you will love it here but I am sure you already know that.

Big Smile,

Savage
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 02:05
Niloligist, I feel I'd like to participate, although I don't know if I have the guts at the moment ;)

I kinda like the "solitude" topic. I think I have a plan :)

I know I have already enjoyed the forum, lurking it, watching from a distance...

And thanks for the very warm welcome!

NILOLIGIST
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 02:07
astro,

That is good I like that. Let see how many like that one. We may do individual challenges, I don't know how much fun that would be and it would be really hard to manage. But, if you want to do a topic and no one else does, there is nothing to stop you from doing it.

NILOLIGIST
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 02:24
slejhamer,

I tried to find you challenge to take a peak, do you have anywhere handy? If not, can you point me to where it is? I searched 19 pages to no avail.

Greatly appreciated,

:eyes LOL

slejhamer
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 07:29
niloligist wrote:
I tried to find you challenge to take a peak, do you have anywhere handy?

Here is mine, paper & light:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8140#36787

Here is the most recent, from Jorge, reflections:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9270#42549

And here is an old one, a favorite, salt:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1680#6555

Also, if you click on "search" in the page menu at the top and enter "challenge" but search only the topic names (not the message bodies) you will find more: zoo, animals, cracks, and maybe some others.

P.S. I am really hoping you will not limit this to G3 newbies, but will post your challenge on the Share Photos board and open it to everyone... :)

NILOLIGIST
19th of April 2003 (Sat), 10:36
slejhamer,

Thank you for posting the information. Your challenges were exciting and the results were just STELLAR.

Although, I know it would be challenging for newbies to partake in such advanced concepts I am not sure we/they are up to it. I kind of want to start out on the newbie level and work up, that way, growth and progress take a natural progression.

I am not sure if I am just afraid, not up to it or want to take it slow. LOL.
I am leaving the topics/subject open, so we can decide. I think challenge is great and look forward to seeing the results whatever they are, whatever the topic/subject is.

As far as the challenge in general, I don't see why we can't do both. We can have a challenge for the newbies as well as the seasoned pros. LOL

*GRIN* :D

havg3
20th of April 2003 (Sun), 20:17
Hi,
Being a newbie myself, and not even sure if I would have the courage to actually post a picture, I really like Astro's idea. A photo that conveys solitude/lonliness. So many images come to mind. I REALLY like that.

trbrogan
20th of April 2003 (Sun), 21:17
http://www.pbase.com/image/15634276

The photo link above may not win a contest but you got to admit their cute. :)

NILOLIGIST
20th of April 2003 (Sun), 21:32
trbrogan,

That photo wins in my book, especially since I can't see it. LOL

I took some photos at the AutoShow today, are they clear, I don't think so. I just don't get it and I don't get enough practice I think. LOL

I only put up one photo:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/mydigitalworld/

trbrogan
20th of April 2003 (Sun), 22:58
niloligist wrote:
trbrogan,

That photo wins in my book, especially since I can't see it. LOL

Try the link above again. Your one photo looks very sharp. Hopefully we can see more of your auto show photos.

NILOLIGIST
21st of April 2003 (Mon), 01:15
Savage,

You are very welcome!!! Well, I am very hesitant about posting as well, but if you just dive in, the water will be cold at first, then it get warmer. :)

I propose that instead of this being a challenge, this should just be a small community that we " Newbies " can post our photos. I would like to feel that I can put them up and not fear that someone is going to take them apart, make me feel bad and possibly discourage me. Some do not realize that we are all NOT ON THE SAME PHOTOGRAPHIC LEVEL.

I am a newbie and I am not alone. So let's take a way the challenge aspect and just use it as a newbie post. I would feel better. How is that? I took some photos this weekend and posted them on my site, they are better than my photos of the past, so I am making progess. :D

I hope that you will join me, take a chance and post some photos. Once you do it, it becomes easier. I for one don't care what you put up, I will celebrate your courage besides, it couldn't look any worse than my previous posts.

Thank you for posting, being here and taking the chance.

Take a look at my most recent posts. Granted, they are not the best, but show improvement.

Biggest Supportive Smile,

NILOLIGIST
21st of April 2003 (Mon), 01:21
trbrogan,

I swear, you are the winner, the photos looks good I am sure, since I can't see it I am not totally sure.

Thanks for the kind words about my photo, it really means a lot. I am trying more, hence, the marked improvement. I have posted some more, granted they are all not so sharp, but I feel better about my progress to post them. Arrrrgggh, yes, feedback is welcome.

So what do you think about my idea? Instead of having a photo challenge, we have a small community for newbies to post and the pros just look. The reason for this, newbies are on a different level than the pros. Therefore, if we posts among ourselves until we get up to speed it may help boost our progress and confidence. The pros are welcomed to comment but not post. Therefore, we will not feel like we are not good enough at the very beginning. :)

Yes, I feel like I don't measure up, but I will. I don't want the added pressure of posting with a pro.

As always, your feedback is welcome and in this case required. LMAO

Don't forget to look on my site for the newest posts.

Big Smile,

NILOLIGIST
21st of April 2003 (Mon), 01:26
havg3,

Ok, sounds good to me. It is our thread and we can do what ever we like.

I suggest that everyone pick their own topic and note it in the post. That way we are all not bound to one topic that we may not have any interest in.

What do you think about that?

teekay
21st of April 2003 (Mon), 09:52
I have to say I think the idea of voting on a subject and then judging is totally unworkable without some cumbersome administration procedure.

Why not simply have individual members issuing challenges as they have done in the past? Then the following images and comments will be the judgement part - just as we have seen already.

I do think a seperate forum would be a good idea, though - if this catches on.

NILOLIGIST
21st of April 2003 (Mon), 11:01
teekay,

I think also there should be no judging after rethinking the idea. I also t think there should only be postings and if people want to give feedback fine, if not fine. But, I think this should be for newbies, that will keep it on one level. Hopefully, this will help keep the pressure down.

Just an idea.

Hopefully, we can resolve the what, how and who so we can get this show on the road. LOL

Thanks for the response.

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 13:02
ALL,

Are we ready to start? If you are ready, then let's go!!! List your subject/topic and post your photo, it is that simple.

So, we can start NOW!!

Rules:

State your topic/subject and post your photo.

bmac
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 13:20
Hey Savage....i like that idea....I'm also a newbie, but really want to get into all of this to learn more, and see what others are doing. Count me in!

BMAC

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:14
trbrogan,

I finally get to see them, they are cute, look like they are use to the camera. LOL

What starkits you have there.

Smile,

getg3
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:29
Here is my post:
Topic: Architecture
Titile: East meets west
http://www.pbase.com/image/15772535/medium.jpg
To see large image:
http://www.pbase.com/image/15772535/original

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:35
getg3,

That is VERY nice, I like it a lot. Photo like that, you are definitely NOT a NEWBIE. Thanks for being FIRST, it takes guts.

Smile,

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:46
getg3,

I still can't get the posting images thing to work. LOL When I post an image you see the x where the image should be, can you give me the steps? Cause I am sure missing a few.

Cheers,

getg3
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:51
Niloligist,
Thank you. I am still a newbie. I was just lucky, it was a sunny and clear day when I took that shot. The location is a 10 minute drive from my office.
Ok, who is next?

cmcbeth
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:53
I'm also interested in participating. My G3 will be ariving later this week and I would be excited to expand my horizons. By having subjects to photograph, one can break out of what they are familiar and comfortable with and explore other things.

getg3
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:56
Niloligist,
Try this:
At the end of your URL add .jpg, also do not post a large image. I think there is a size limit.
Good luck.

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 14:57
My turn to post...

Topic
Cars

Title
Red Hot Ferrari at the AutoShow
http://www.pbase.com/image/15941786/medium.jpg

getg3
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 15:08
Niloligist,

Great shot! Good composition and hmmm can I have a test drive?

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 15:09
getg3,

Why test drive, just take it home, you can have it. LOL

Well, I guess we started things off nicely, I am really excited, can I post more. LOL

Smile,

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 15:13
Topic
Race Car

Title
Some kind of really cool Race Car
http://www.pbase.com/image/15940198/medium.jpg

getg3
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 16:40
Niloligist,

Another good picture. Thanks for sharing. Maybe we should be patient. Other participants are still busy uploading pictures, some are taking a day off so they can go out snapping.

Next in line, please!

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 22:07
getg3,

Now you got me started and you want me to wait, make up your mind...LMAO

Ok, I will be patient and wait...Tick...Tock...Tick...Tock...

I am waiting...

I just wanted to put another one, for good measure. They aren't the greatest but I think they mark improvement.

Sorry, the images are so big, this is how I posted them on my website. I won't post anymore.

NILOLIGIST
22nd of April 2003 (Tue), 23:14
getg3,

Now you tell me. I don't know how to make them smaller, these are the ones from my site. Darn, if I use the thumbnail you won't be able to see them at all. I am going to get a new site over the weekend, the limit is so small on my home site for my ISP, I will make them smaller then.

I checked the place where we are to show off our photos and some of those photos make mine look small. So it might be okay. Future photos will be smaller I promise and hope. LOL

I know I started this, but I am wondering are we going to pick topics and eveyone submit or are we going to continue with this random, do whatever you like theme?

I would like to at some point, pick some topics and see what hits we get back.

Oh well, I am not the master of this ship, we all are, so we must all decide.

Big Smile like my big photos...

getg3
23rd of April 2003 (Wed), 10:49
Niloligist,

You can resize your photo before uploading to your website. I uploaded my photos to pbase. Two things I like about pbase are: you have four sizes for each photo, small, medium, large and original and I used medium size to post it hear, and you can view exif info.

Regarding topics, I think it is hard to specify a topic at this stage, remember we are all newbies and we have different interests, unless you can pick some broad topics like: travel, people, landscape, etc.

I really encourage everyone to post pictures here, the best place to share and discuss about our common goal - snap better photos.

My suggestion, maybe we should start a new thread for each month, so we don't need to scroll up and down all the pages.

NILOLIGIST
23rd of April 2003 (Wed), 12:50
getg3,

I like that idea, about a new thread every month. I also suggest that a new person start the thread every month. I did April, why don't you do May. The person starting the thread runs it. Does that sound good to you?

As far as my picture, would you believe that I did resize it, the originals were huge, I took them in the large format. I did make them a little smaller, but if I make them to small they won't be the size I want them to be on my website. I am going to get a new site and then I can change them and arrange them differently.

Take a look in the photos thread, their photos are huge like mine so I don't feel to bad.

Thank you for all your help and input it really means a lot.

Biggest Smile, not as big as my photos though 8)

getg3
23rd of April 2003 (Wed), 13:06
Niloligist,

No problem, but that means I have to take more pictures before May 1st. What a pressure!:D

NILOLIGIST
23rd of April 2003 (Wed), 13:45
getg3,

LOL...Hmmmm, that sounds like a plan, click,,,click,,,,click,,,...How many you take? Better, get started...NOW!!

colin uk
23rd of April 2003 (Wed), 15:06
I would be interested in any challenge, I am not worried about being the winner as I know the high standard of work around the forum, but would enjoy the competition as an exercise.

Topic/subjects – devotion, Joy, Sadness, excitement, love.

Let me know when and what the challenge would be.

NILOLIGIST
23rd of April 2003 (Wed), 15:41
colin uk,

The challenge is NOW!! You pick your topic and you post your photos. This is pick your own topic month. So whenever you can, post your photos on your topic.

Good luck and thank you for joining. We all look forward to seeing your photos.

Big Smile :D

NILOLIGIST
23rd of April 2003 (Wed), 15:41
colin uk,

The challenge is NOW!! We have already started, see page 2 of this thread.

You pick your topic and post your photos. This is pick your own topic month. So whenever you can, post your photos on your topic.

Good luck and thank you for joining. We all look forward to seeing your photos.

Big Smile :D

NILOLIGIST
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 12:50
It seems there is no real interest in having a photography challenge for newbies here. Oh well, thanks to all of those that did contribute and take part.

:~(

Savage
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 13:58
Here's my "solitude" contribution:

http://www.shell.linux.se/savage/G3/solitude_web.jpg

Hope this works :)

NILOLIGIST
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 14:03
Savage,

Love the photo, it is crisp and sharp. I don't get the feeling of solitude but a sense that you were really tired of riding. LOL

Smile,

Savage
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 14:10
Heh.. I was thinking about that poor bike, just being thrown over and neglected by a child.
The kid probably saw something more interesting and just left the bike. So basically it's the bike who's lonely :)

And thanks for your kind words.

getg3
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 14:12
Savage,

Interesting photo. Did you sit on the floor while taking that shot to minimize camera shake? Thanks for sharing.

Savage
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 14:16
getg3

I was sitting on the ground using a knee as camerastand :)
The shutterspeed is 1/800, so camerashake wasn't really an issue. Thanks for your comment.

NILOLIGIST
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 14:32
Savage,

LOL...That is good, I didn't see it that way. Funny how art can be interpreted so many way. But, that is funny, he just ran off and left his bike.

LMAO

Savage
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 14:44
Niloligist

A bike wants to be ridden ;)
I'm really glad you appreciated it!

NILOLIGIST
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 17:09
Savage,

I now see, that you actually feel too much and to deeply about this bike and the kid that abandoned it. Perhaps, this wasn't subject for you. I now fear if we continue to discuss this topic you may just burst into to tears.

You must let go.

ROFLMAO

8)

Savage
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 17:54
LOL! I love the bike, love it!!

Here's another buddy for you

http://www.shell.linux.se/savage/G3/humla.jpg

Just cropped and resized in PS.

NILOLIGIST
25th of April 2003 (Fri), 23:00
Savage,

Wow, that is really great. Only one thing, I am afraid of it. 8) I still like the bike better.

Great shot!!

Very Big Smile,

NILOLIGIST
26th of April 2003 (Sat), 16:31
Another smaller photo:

Enjoy..

Taken at City Hall Park
http://www.pbase.com/image/15946965/medium.jpg

NILOLIGIST
26th of April 2003 (Sat), 16:35
Another one at City Hall Park...No, I did not get married...LOL

http://www.pbase.com/image/15947343/medium.jpg

Savage
26th of April 2003 (Sat), 18:53
Nice photos, Niloligist.

Here's another one of mine:

http://www.shell.linux.se/savage/G3/sleep640.jpg

NILOLIGIST
26th of April 2003 (Sat), 19:11
Savage,

Omg, he is so cute. Very, very nice shot, so clear and crisp. WOW.

Tell him when he grows up there will be a list to marry him.

Big Smile,

Savage
26th of April 2003 (Sat), 19:23
Thank you :)

NILOLIGIST
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 01:55
getg3,

I have changed the picture that you commented on. So, you might want to edit your comment if you don't still the same. :(

Smile,

NILOLIGIST
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 02:33
getg3,

Just for you, I made them smaller. It was a little difficult, Pbase has some not so straight forward instructions about how to link your photos to other sites. I just didn't get it at first, now I have it...

LOL

slejhamer
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 09:51
Okay, newbies, you are doing great!

No more excuses.

It's time to come out and play with the rest of us:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10251

Remember, the emphasis is on learning and having fun.

See you there,

BurningArrow
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 11:00
Ok here's my shot, practicing panning is fun!

http://www.pbase.com/image/15968375/original

:)

NILOLIGIST
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 12:17
slejhamer,

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! We newbies have arrived.

NILOLIGIST
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 12:18
BurningArrow,

Very impressive shot. Nicely done, I love the colors/tone.

Keep it up!!

pappy
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 17:12
slejhamer wrote:

Okay, newbies, you are doing great!

No more excuses.

It's time to come out and play with the rest of us:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10251

Remember, the emphasis is on learning and having fun.

See you there,

Okay, Mitch, you asked for it ;) - first attempt at this attached to your thread.

Best Regards,
Peter

NILOLIGIST
27th of April 2003 (Sun), 23:34
Savage,

I was out shooting today in a movie theatre parking lot waiting to go in. Went to see Phone Booth, it was actually very good to me. Kept me interested. Had to do something until the X-Men & the Matrix come out. LOL

This fellow kept running from me, guess he didn't think I was cute enough....
http://www.pbase.com/image/15998263/original.jpg

pappy
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 06:16
Good shot - your exposure is excellent (I can see it's eye which is very difficult to get). Very sharp picture.

Regards,
Peter

SpiDEX
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 10:46
http://www.pbase.com/image/15940612/large.jpg

getg3
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 11:14
Niloligist,

I am glad finally you post your pics on pbase. It is the best web site for pictures. I like the image of the fountain.

BurningArrow,

Your panning1 is very impressive, well done. I also browse your Keukenhof gallery. Great colorful photos. The picture I like most from that gallery is khof_0030.jpg. I think you are the only person snapping that kind of picture, other people only pay attention to the tulips and never look up:)

Spidex,

Great shot. I enjoy taking flower pictures. Here is the rose from my backyard:
http://www.pbase.com/image/12592837/large.jpg

BurningArrow
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 13:32
Thanks getg3!
And you know, I accidently looked up because I heard a bird sing. A wide angle really shines with this kind of shots.

About your rose shot, maybe you could try some unsharp masking in Photoshop. Do you have photoshop?

Shooting panning shots is fun, you should try it too. My ultimate pan shot would be of a bird or a dog.

Matt

NILOLIGIST
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 13:52
getg3,

Great shot. It is so good, I think I can touch it.

Smile,

getg3
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 14:17
BurningArrow and Niloligist,
Thanks, I don't have Photoshop. Do you think PS Element is good enough? PS 7 is expensive and not easy to learn.

pappy
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 17:41
getg3 wrote:
BurningArrow and Niloligist,
Thanks, I don't have Photoshop. Do you think PS Element is good enough? PS 7 is expensive and not easy to learn.

Hi getg3 - sorry to butt in....;) I am using Photoshop Elements 2 and really enjoying it. With the addition of a couple of free tools from Richard Lynch's site - The Hidden Power of Elements it gives me probably everything I need. I can see, however, that the lure of PS 7 is strong although I can't justify its cost, CDN $1000.00+

Regards,
Peter

getg3
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 17:54
Peter,

Thank you for your input. I think I am going to get the Elements.

Savage
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 17:57
Niloligist

Nice bird, very sharp and clear.

I've actually started to post in the regular "share photos" section now, and so far it's not bad at all :)

Can't wait til the new matrix arrives either!

Smile

Savage (Patrik)

NILOLIGIST
28th of April 2003 (Mon), 22:35
Savage,

Thank you for the compliment, I am trying. LOL...Maybe, I will move on over to the shared photos corner soon, when I get a little bit better. But, I will see you there.

Or, maybe, I will put my little bird there, he should be able to live there. Right? LOL

Big Smile,

NILOLIGIST
30th of April 2003 (Wed), 14:44
Savage,

Central Park is so cool...Take a look for yourself.

Central Park - 5th. Ave & 59th. Street
http://www.pbase.com/image/16063196.jpg

BurningArrow
30th of April 2003 (Wed), 15:27
Frederique,
If I'm right there's a bridge somewhere in central Park (maybe more?). Can you take some of that? :)

BurningArrow
30th of April 2003 (Wed), 15:29
Here's my bird lol
http://www.pbase.com/image/16107165

NILOLIGIST
30th of April 2003 (Wed), 23:47
BurningArrow,

LOL...Now, your sending me on photo shoots for you...LMAO

Okay, I will shoot a bridge or two.

Geez,

speed
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 04:56
BurningArrow wrote:
Here's my bird lol

Wow nice one, from what distance was it taken (with zoom) ?

speed
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 04:59
niloligist wrote:
Savage,

Central Park is so cool...Take a look for yourself.

Central Park - 5th. Ave & 59th. Street

Did u put ashes in the water ? Look at the (left) bottom of the picture. Somehow it's giving me the creeps nice job:)...

NILOLIGIST
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 07:03
speed,

LMAO...No way man, I did not put ashes in the water. I am posting this photo with you in mind....Enjoy!!

Talk about speed...
http://www.pbase.com/image/16128210.jpg

BurningArrow
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 10:01
speed wrote:
BurningArrow wrote:
Here's my bird lol

Wow nice one, from what distance was it taken (with zoom) ?

Thanks Speed!
Here are the settings I used. I shot this within the first two hours when I got the G3.

File Name
09022003_6 026.jpg
Camera Model Name
Canon PowerShot G3
Shooting Date/Time
2/22/2003 2:35:39 PM
Shooting Mode
Shutter Speed Priority AE
Photo Effect Mode
Off
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/60
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
7.2 - 28.8 mm
Focal Length
28.8 mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
1600x1200
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
On
Flash Type
Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation
Red-eye Reduction
On
Shutter curtain sync
1st-curtain sync
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Single AF

BurningArrow
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 10:03
Nilo I love those night shots! Keep 'em coming! :)

And you don't HAVE to go on 'assignment' for me to shoot bridges LOL, but I'm sure you'll do it because you like me right? :)

hypokondriak
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 11:33
here is one of my favorites so far. it is of David Davis' Mansion... No tweaking in photoshop at all, just shot straight to jpeg with linear polarizer and uv filter.

http://www.hypokondriak.net/images/outdoor/david_davis.jpg

NILOLIGIST
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 13:07
BurningArrow,

That was my first ever. I am trying to catch up to you. I FINALLY GOT A TRIPOD!!! So, look forward to seeing much more of them.

Thank you,

BurningArrow
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 13:12
woohooo to Nilo! which one did you get?

NILOLIGIST
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 16:10
BurningArrow,

Wooohooo! You know I can't say, I have to post it on the accessories list duh...LOL

Why you so excited anyway? LOL...You have tooooo much energy!!!!!!

I got the following:

Velbron Legs (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist _html___139174___VESC___REG___CatID=2636___SID=F51 BB4EA520)

Velbron 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head (Quick Release) (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist _html___139285___VEPH157Q___REG___CatID=106___SID= F51BB4EA520)

Smile,

BurningArrow
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 22:22
Nilo, one nice set of legs you have there :)

I want a tripod too, it has to be light and portable but sturdy at the same time. Let me know how you like the Velbron.

NILOLIGIST
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 22:32
getg3,

Send me a blank CD and self addressed envelope and you got Photoshop 7 & Elements if you want.

Smile,

NILOLIGIST
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 22:36
BurningArrow,

Of course I like you and I will do it. Central Park is "VERY BIG. " It runs from 59th. Street to 217th. Street.

I will look for your bridge, if I can't find it, I will fake on in Photoshop 7, don't worry, you will get a bridge.

LMAO

NILOLIGIST
1st of May 2003 (Thu), 22:37
BurningArrow,

This is the one, it is light, sturdy and small. I love it. It is OFFICIAL, this is my tripod.

Wait until I post the photos I took today, I looked for your bridge too in Central Park but I didn't find any but there is so much more to explore, you will get your bridge.

I hope you like them.

Big Tripod Smile,