Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon Digital Photography Forums (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Business of Photography (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Paid advertising....worth it? (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1155055)

Toneaero 29th of February 2012 (Wed) 13:30

Paid advertising....worth it?

This might have been a topic in the past but I thought it could use some fresh responses.

My goal is getting my website/name out there and was wondering if paid advertising sites like theknot.com and weddingwire is worth the money. TheKnot wants about $2k a year contract for a profile that's right above their basic package. Is that steep? Do people who use paid sites like these get good exposure and ultimately, more clients???

dho81 29th of February 2012 (Wed) 14:13

Re: Paid advertising....worth it?

Depends on your location, probably. I'm in the Bay Area and started listing on the knot in December and it's already paid itself off and more for the year. I've gotten a few bookings from it for this year and for 2013. I'm paying a little more than your contract is for but I'm only locked in for 6 months.

Toneaero 29th of February 2012 (Wed) 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by dho81 (Post 13991601)
Depends on your location, probably. I'm in the Bay Area and started listing on the knot in December and it's already paid itself off and more for the year. I've gotten a few bookings from it for this year and for 2013. I'm paying a little more than your contract is for but I'm only locked in for 6 months.

Do you have a "featured" profile or something different? TheKnot wants a lot more money for "featured" and to have advertisement in the banner "spotlight" and along the right side of the page. I'm trying to determine the return on investment here.

dho81 29th of February 2012 (Wed) 15:11

I have a preferred listing status. Which just means I'll always show up on the 2nd page of listings right after the "featured." My thinking is people will at least browse the 2nd page and it would be worth the extra cash for that. In my opinion if you are going to spend on advertising you might as well stretch your budget a bit to ensure you get decent exposure. In the bay area/San Francisco pages there's something like over 100 photographers listed. Some will look through all of them, most probably won't. But again id try to see if you can find info on your specific location.

Christopher Steven b 1st of March 2012 (Thu) 10:55

I've never once paid for advertising. I work hard to get my site to show up organically (not only for location + wedding photographer, but I've also got other more targeted strategies as well) and I use free resources to advertise. I'd say 1/2 of my clients find me via that advertising, 1/4 through organic searches and 1/4 by referral.

For fun I did try facebook advertising with the $50 coupon. I got a few leads, though nothing came of it. I think if I did start paying for advertising I'll put my money here.

JacobPhoto 1st of March 2012 (Thu) 11:35

How many new gigs would it take to get a return on your advertising 'investment' ? $2k per year for a wedding photographer sounds like only 1 new gig would pay for itself, and the second would be 'profit' so to speak. For someone like me who doesn't do wedding photography, of course advertising on the knot doesn't make sense :-P