Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon Digital Photography Forums (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php)
-   Canon EOS Digital Cameras (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   5D3 silent shutter mode - no additional wear (Canon) (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1184114)

Invertalon 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 10:00

5D3 silent shutter mode - no additional wear (Canon)

I have read many people worried about using the "silent mode" full time and the stress/wear it may put on the shutter/mirror assemblies. So I decided to write Canon and this was their response:

Dear Steven:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry that you are having difficulty locating information on whether the Silent Shutter mode would cause any additional wear on the EOS 5D Mark III.
The Silent Shutter option on the EOS 5D Mark III would not cause any additional wear when using it in the standard single shot mode. However, you may encounter a slight shutter lag when using it in this mode.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 5D Mark III.

Wissigle 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 11:03

Re: 5D3 silent shutter mode - no additional wear (Canon)

Nice, thanks for the info.

Gregg.Siam 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 11:21

Why would anyone think it would cause additional wear? I would think the exact opposite, that the delay and cushion would reduce wear and impact on parts.

totetite 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invertalon (Post 14415712)
Dear Steven:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry that you are having difficulty locating information on whether the Silent Shutter mode would cause any additional wear on the EOS 5D Mark III.
The Silent Shutter option on the EOS 5D Mark III would not cause any additional wear when using it in the standard single shot mode. However, you may encounter a slight shutter lag when using it in this mode.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 5D Mark III.

from this message, it sounds like it's only safe for the "standard single shot mode", be aware that other shooting modes with this feature will cause more wear

BryantFC 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 11:31

I love this mode. I didn't use it as much before because I like the sound of the shutter but it does work best when shooting on the streets.

Buylongterm 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 11:42

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

julius071 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 11:51

Worried about wear? Haha it's like buying a brand new car and you never gonna drive it.

totetite 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by julius071 (Post 14416231)
Worried about wear? Haha it's like buying a brand new car and you never gonna drive it.

the way i see it's not about being a cheapskate, it's about having a little convenience/inconvenience versus maximizing the camera's shutter life :))

Invertalon 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 12:11

People were just wondering if the method the camera used to make the shutter quieter caused more stress. Possibly by causing shock on the arms and other mechanical linkages by stopping full movement, or something of the sort. Everybody knows it will wear, but that was not the concern. The issue was wondering it would shorten the lifespan of the shutter basically, if by using the silent mode 24/7 would only give a theoretical lifespan equal, less than or more than the 150,000 cycles promised by Canon for normal mode. My guesstimate would be silent mode if anything would be less stressful on the camera, but because there was so much talk about it I decided just to ask them directly.

And about the single shot note, that is because I only asked about single shot. I am sure it is the same for both single and multiple burst mode. It is just how I worded my inquiry.

NASS Photo 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 18:06

Steve. Thanks for sharing the Canon info. I never thought about the idea that it may have extra wear. When I get the 5DMIII, I will use it in the standard single mode.

john_galt 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 21:10

why didnt canon just make this the default or standard?

questionmarc 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by john_galt (Post 14418695)

i like my shutter noise

JeffreyG 11th of May 2012 (Fri) 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by john_galt (Post 14418695)

Because it increases lag / blackout time and makes the camera incapable of 6 fps.

Silent mode drives the mirror motor with a reduced power (pulse width modulated) drive that slows it down. That increases lag and blackout. It also holds the mirror in place until the shutter button is released. This is inconsistent with a fast frame rate.

I do like the 5D3 silent mode, it is really quiet vs. most other Canon bodies. But there are tradeoffs.

roumin 20th of May 2012 (Sun) 02:42

Thanks for sharing this info. I did not realize how much I liked the silent mode until I tried it and now I leave it there unless I need speed - I was also wondering if there is any downside to primarily shooting in slient mode, other than slower shutter lag.

Andrew_WOT 20th of May 2012 (Sun) 12:14

Silent shooting is amazing. I use it exclusively now for shooting my new born, with standard one he was twitching on each shot.