Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon Digital Photography Forums (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php)
-   Canon EF and EF-S Lenses (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   No Canon UWA for 1.3?? Solution: let's hack the 10-22!!! (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=361877)

picturecrazy 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 17:14

No Canon UWA for 1.3?? Solution: let's hack the 10-22!!!

Since getting a 1D3 there's one thing I've really been missing... and that is ULTRA WIDE angle. That is one of my most favourite ways to shoot. Canon doesn't make one for 1.3. There's the 16-35... but that's not really ULTRA wide on 1.3.

The 10-22 is one of my most favourite lenses. So, being a total nerd that loves to disassemble things, I thought I'd give it a shot and get it mounted onto the 1D3. Warranty is long passed. Why not?

I decided I'd also rip apart my beloved 75-300 III USM. I didn't want to go for the baffle-less look and the rear element looked close in size to the 10-22 so again, I said, "why not?" Let's potentially wreck two of my favourite lenses!!

So this is ripping out the 75-300 baffle. I managed to destroy one of the tabs that hold it in, but there are 4 so I don' think it matters much. I made a mental note to be more careful on the 10-22:

Now (cafefully) taking out the 10-22 baffle:

So at first, I thought it would be a slam dunk. But it wasn't. The 75-300 baffle isn't perfect. It interferes with the electonics so it won't snap in place. I found the interference to be right under the "IN MALA" letters, which is stamped on the top. (The full text is "MADE IN MALAYSIA")

I thought it was close, just needed about 0.7mm more clearance, so I took a file to the baffle and now it looks like this:

And voila! The baffle now snaps in with no interference! And you cannot tell any filing has been done from the other side! Here is it on the 10-22. I put the EF-S baffle on the 75-300 temporarily while I get another one from Canon. (BTW, the 75-300 doesn't work well with it. You can only zoom from 90-300)

Overhead view with 75-300 baffle on:

This is at 10mm

This is at 22mm, so you can see it's not a perfect baffle to use but it will surely protect it a heck of a lot more than no baffle.

And here you can see it's now flush with the EF mount. The problem now is the rear element sticks out past the mount. This is at 10mm. I have found it does not protrude when you get to 12mm.

picturecrazy 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 17:15

Re: No Canon UWA for 1.3?? Solution: let's hack the 10-22!!!

Here it is mounted on the 1D3:

Another view, it's definitely mounted on there!

It doesn't seem to have any problems talking to the 1D either even though they were never designed to work together. Nevertheless, I found it unsurprising. I knew they would work.

Ok, here is a 10mm using a 20D as a baseline comparison:

And here is a 13mm shot using the 1D:

I used 13mm because that is where I find there is no vignetting present. There is definite vignetting at 10mm but only in the corners; no black tunnel look. It is gone by 13mm so I have no reason to use it wider than that. Besides, there is a danger of smacking the mirror at a wider setting, which I'm not interested in doing!!!

And here it is zoomed to 16mm, to give you a comparison of the view you could expect from using the 16-35, which is the widest canon zoom you can get for the 1.3 format.

And here is a 24mm shot taken with my 24-70L. This is the widest I've been able to shoot to date with the 1D3. I don't find it nearly wide enough!!

Corner sharpness isn't stellar, but on UWA, it usually isn't amazing anyhow. It's not perfect at 10mm on my 20D either.

Edges seem good though. This is the bottom centre edge.

So in conclusion, I am pretty happy with this hack and am looking forward to using it on a real shoot soon. True, there are non-Canon alternatives, but the 10-22 is one of my absolute favourites and I'm not getting rid of it. I've tried the Sigma and Tokina alternatives and wasn't happy. This 1D/10-22 combo DOES make me happy!

If someone finds a better baffle to use, please let me know!!!

Bubble 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 17:20

interesting mod.

justisnmnz 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 17:22

Haha, I have absolutely no use for this mod, but I kinda want to do it anyways. :D

JeffreyG 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 17:26

I wonder if there is some way to pin the zoom so it won't turn below 13mm. Keeping out of the widest range might otherwise prove difficult when you are working. With that change you would seem to have the perfect APS-H UWA hack.

PetKal 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 17:36

Good work.
Is the 17-55 f/2.8 IS next to go under the knife ?

picturecrazy 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffreyG (Post 3714896)
I wonder if there is some way to pin the zoom so it won't turn below 13mm. Keeping out of the widest range might otherwise prove difficult when you are working. With that change you would seem to have the perfect APS-H UWA hack.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, but I don't think there is an easy way to do it. Not that I would want to either, as I still want to use this on my 20 and 30D bodies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetKal (Post 3714951)
Good work.
Is the 17-55 f/2.8 IS next to go under the knife ?

I think I'm gonna hack my 60mm macro too like Lightstream did. I just want to find a good baffle to replace it with first. Not sure about the 17-55 yet though

MDJAK 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 19:03

Lloyd, I've got to hand it to you and anybody else who has talent and fortitude to try things like this. I truly give you a lot of credit.

On a less serious note, would you mind turning my 300 into a 1200. Please. ;)

me

Lord_Malone 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 19:08

My solution for ultra-wide on a 1.3x crop requires no lens butchering. ;)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=266745

Bubble 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 19:14

so how much the 70-300 baffle cost directly from Canon?

Familiaphoto 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 19:38

You are one brave man...I would not have the guts, not to mention skill, to do something like that.

blonde 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 20:41

hmmm, is there a reason why you didn't just go with the Sigma 12-24 and got it over with?

_aravena 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 20:54

^Money?

Heck, you should charge for this. Watch out 16-35, the 17-55 IS can have an EF mount! Possibly. Speaking of, why hold back on that but go ahead with the 10-22? Really needed a UWA that bad?

cdifoto 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by blonde (Post 3715899)
hmmm, is there a reason why you didn't just go with the Sigma 12-24 and got it over with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by _aravena (Post 3715976)
^Money?

Heck, you should charge for this. Watch out 16-35, the 17-55 IS can have an EF mount! Possibly. Speaking of, why hold back on that but go ahead with the 10-22? Really needed a UWA that bad?

Well considering the Canon EF-S rear element can smack the mirror from 10-12mm, it seems kinda pointless. If you can afford a 1D Mark III, you can afford to sell the 10-22 and go with the Sigma 12-24.

I'm pretty happy knowing I don't have to watch out for certain focal lengths. When not tinkering and actually shooting, I don't have that kind of restraint.

AngryCorgi 12th of August 2007 (Sun) 21:19

Any chance we can convince you to try this with ye ol' 17-55IS?? ;)