Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon Digital Photography Forums (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php)
-   Nature & Landscapes (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Post your best panorama (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=395017)

tonylong 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 00:28

Re: Post your best panorama

This approach also works well with CS3's Auto Align Pixels where you can create a double exposure with different people/objects in the same scenes at different times. Using a tripod and manual exposure (manual white balance might be neccessary as well, you can "paint" the added portions seamlessly into you image.

Tony

tonylong 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotLama (Post 4211960)
One from this weekend. Pano made in PS CS3 with photomerge. It rocks. Does anyone know what the limit is in PS cs3 photomerge . I tried 20 photos and it didnt work. It made like a 1gig file. Is my computer the limit maybe? Need more power!!

Columbia river

And one from a couple weekends ago.

Lake Serene

And another from the valley.

Vista House

I was at that very scene just a week or so ago! Both the Portland Women's Forum at sunset (beautiful warm fall colors at sunset) and the Vista House, catching the Gorge, and Larch Mountain for pics of Mount Hood (and St. Helens, Rainier, Baker, and Jefferson)!

Good to see pics from the Pacific Northwest!

Tony

RedHotLama 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 01:12

CS3 does it automatically and i think there is a way to do it in CS2. Look for something called auto blend i think.

djeuch 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 08:05

I've had favorable results with Autostitch... "open" all of them and let it run... and it's fast too! Am I the only one?

FlyingPhotog 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by djeuch (Post 4231803)
I've had favorable results with Autostitch... "open" all of them and let it run... and it's fast too! Am I the only one?

I like it too. The North Rim pano I posted was an autostitch.

I haven't, however, tried doing any double row panos yet. Will have to give that a try.

djeuch 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog (Post 4232944)
I haven't, however, tried doing any double row panos yet. Will have to give that a try.

I stitched 54 (yes, 54!) pictures, double-to-triple row, random order of my backyard... took less than 5 minutes and out came an amazing view of my entire yard (~190 degrees left-to-right and probably about 50 degrees vertically) Amazing tool (in my opinion)!

PhatPhoto 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 12:03

Can we see that pano with 54 pics. I would like to see how that came out.
Thanks

RedHotLama 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by djeuch (Post 4232979)
I stitched 54 (yes, 54!) pictures, double-to-triple row, random order of my backyard... took less than 5 minutes and out came an amazing view of my entire yard (~190 degrees left-to-right and probably about 50 degrees vertically) Amazing tool (in my opinion)!

What was your final file size. I have run into a problem with the Photomerge and that over about 15 photos it gets to slow and doesnt auto blend. Final size is about750mb to 1 gig.

What size were your 54 photos?

djeuch 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotLama (Post 4233048)
What was your final file size. I have run into a problem with the Photomerge and that over about 15 photos it gets to slow and doesnt auto blend. Final size is about750mb to 1 gig.

I'm at work now, but I'll grab it when I'm home.

I shot JPEG Large (I never do, but didn't want to bother converting RAW for my experiment) on the 40D, so that's 10Mpixel images. Autostitch, by default, runs 10% size.

I'll run the series again tonight and post up the un-cropped result!

RedHotLama 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 12:40

Ah the 10% is the difference, Photomerge uses full file size. So that 54 images is only like size of 6.

djeuch 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotLama (Post 4233161)
Ah the 10% is the difference, Photomerge uses full file size. So that 54 images is only like size of 6.

By default, but you can change it - I'll run 100% on my 10Mpixel images. (maybe kick it off before dinner!)

nburwell 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 13:02

Here are two more panos I shot this past week. Sorry for the small sizes, photobucket only allows me to upload 512kb size images.

Peopan 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 13:36

Here's one of my panos that is a little different.
Taken inside a riksha in Meghalaya, India. While the driver was filling up gas, I snapped it.

Rendezvous 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peopan (Post 4233416)
Here's one of my panos that is a little different.
Taken inside a riksha in Meghalaya, India. While the driver was filling up gas, I snapped it.

Pretty nifty idea!

djeuch 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotLama (Post 4233048)

Autostitch is amazing, but larger pano's definitely need a computer with lots of memory!

54 images at 1936x1288 resolution (2.5Mpixel) (Small JPEG high detail) for a total of 134,652,672 pixels. Took 4:18.

50% generation went to 866MB of memory usage and generated an image

(100% failed at 1.5GB of memory)

Output (50%) is 5177x2312 or 11969224

Scaled down to 1/5th (20%) here:

tonylong 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 15:46

Must get supercomputer:)!

Looks like a fun project!

Tony

jdkeck 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 19:32

The reason I stitch images is to create large high quality files suitable for large prints. This picture was posted earlier in the T&L forum, but will post it here with some additional processing information.

This view is taken from the west side of Refrigerator Canyon. The switchbacks are named Walters Wiggles in honor of Walter Ruesch, the Park Superintendent responsible for their construction in 1929. The area just beyond the switchbacks is Scout Lookout. Those looking for for a better view and who aren't afraid of heights can continue on the trail along the ridge to the end on Angels Landing for a superb view of Zion Canyon in all directions. The West Rim trail also continues up Refrigerator Canyon and into the remote back country of the park. This picture was stitched from 5 rows of 4 images taken with a 135mm lens on a 5D.

Larger image, http://jdkeck.smugmug.com/photos/212936742-O.jpg

The images were shot in RAW and converted to 16bit TIF, full size. The full source image set was 5 rows of 6 images. The stitched image was was about 10K by 15K pixels and was about a 1.2gB TIF file. It took about 10 hours to run, at least computers run overnight and don't charge overtime. The cropped image shown is about 5.2K X 13K pixels.

Several 100% crop pictures from the final picture:

bottom of Walters Wiggles

About half way between Scout Lookout and the Angels Landing

Angels Landing

I'm going to have a 20 X 50 print made at full printer resolution and based on the trial print at 12 X 30 should be very high resolution.

Jeff

Ran_photography 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 20:48

I just tried autostitch, the demo version i reckon? How do you get the full version? I tried it and was surprised at how easy it was, but disappointed in how the detail was totally robbed from me.

Why did this happen?

ATucker 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 21:13

Huntington Beach, Bay Village OH
4 x 2 pano

Larger version: http://www.pbase.com/atucker/image/43993088/original

Superior Street Viaduct, Cleveland OH
7 x 2 pano

Larger Version: http://www.pbase.com/atucker/image/49783903/original

The "Bean", Chicago
6 pic pano

Crop from the Bean: http://www.pbase.com/atucker/image/69620786

Shot with a G5 and stitched with PTAssembler

Linkzi 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 21:21

That is a sweet photo of the bean. Excellent work!

RedHotLama 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 21:23

Nice i worked at HB for a couple summers.

Sydor25 1st of November 2007 (Thu) 22:29

I tried Autostich for the first time, here is a quick 10 shot pano from Oklahoma:

flumpki 2nd of November 2007 (Fri) 03:34

Here are some of my personal favs. (3 and 4 were recently posted in T&L.)

1. In AZ, light showers means heavy flooding. (And you gotta love that despite the obvious excess, they still find it worthwhile to water the field.)
Taken at Arizona State University -- 4 shots handheld, stitched manually in CS2

2. Not sure what it is, but I call it the desert death capsule
Near Gila Bend, AZ -- 3 shots handheld, stitched manually in CS2

3. Boulder, CO -- 11 shots handheld, stitched manually in CS3

4. Boulder, CO -- 5 shots handheld, stitched manually and with CS3 photomerge

willy b 2nd of November 2007 (Fri) 06:16

Flumpki - like the 2nd and 3rd shot alot!

RedHotLama 2nd of November 2007 (Fri) 10:27

Why manually? Do you find problems with photomerge and auto stitch?

flumpki 2nd of November 2007 (Fri) 14:09

Yeah, I tend to have problems with photomerge and I only recently acquired autostitch. Autostitch seems to do pretty well, but the output is a single JPEG, which doesn't leave much flexibility in the final image. As for photomerge, I generally try that first, but if I don't like the output, I'll just do it by hand. (Definitely a lot more time consuming, but at least I end up with the results I want.)

And I'm glad you like those shots willy b.

Muzz 28th of November 2007 (Wed) 14:47

Hi Guys,

Here is my mega panorama!

67 photos combined to make a 750mb jpg! :D

Thumbnail:

Full Size (3.5mb - Had to shrink it a tad ;) )

http://filehost.justfreespace.com/im...FERRY-PANO.jpg

RedHotLama 28th of November 2007 (Wed) 14:59

I see some problems in the buoys.

whiskaz 28th of November 2007 (Wed) 15:05

(part of) NYC from NJ:

Larger: http://www.thejonzes.net/gallery2/d/...ycpano1_lg.jpg

Motor On 28th of November 2007 (Wed) 15:46

All but the last one are crops.

chauncey 28th of November 2007 (Wed) 15:52

1 Attachment(s)
This is a dry river bed canyon that has absolutly no artistic value and is kind of an ugly. But it does show what came be done.

It has been cropped for inclusion of the 24 images taken with a 70-200ISL f-4 lens, f/11, 1/60, ISO100, and handheld. They were taken in the following pattern;
1 2 3 4 5 6
12 11 10 9 8 7
13 14 15 16 17 18
24 23 22 21 20 19

At the time I just wanted to know if it would work and because I lack composing ability, this would be a way to "pack" pixels to increase cropping latitude. It does work but it is a huge file.

BrianS 19th of June 2008 (Thu) 18:32

Link to original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianbs...00267/sizes/l/

Broadway53 20th of June 2008 (Fri) 07:54

Horseshoe Bend - Wish I'd included more of the sky but still turned out nice. Three shots on top, three shots on bottom.
[/IMG]

Broadway53 20th of June 2008 (Fri) 08:05

Central Park from the Top of the Rock in NYC[IMG][/IMG]

oiva 20th of June 2008 (Fri) 10:19

My favorite one, since i took it without a tripod :D

BASmith 20th of June 2008 (Fri) 16:51

26 shots taken with my old Kodak....

12 shots taken with my Canon....

FlyingPhotog 20th of June 2008 (Fri) 19:47

Just took advantage of the fact that everyone was standing still and listening to the boss.

Six shots auto-assembled in CS3.

Ran_photography 21st of June 2008 (Sat) 00:14

Haha, i forgot i started this thread. GO ME!

Linkzi 21st of June 2008 (Sat) 02:19

11 photos stitched with PSCS3, .9 GND, handheld with 17-55 IS lens, Lightroom colorwork. CLICK on photo to ENLARGE.

keegsmeister 21st of June 2008 (Sat) 02:50

The beautiful bay of Clarke Quay, Singapore (Dec 2007):

and the Hong Kong skyline (Jan 2008 ) :

vinunleaded 24th of June 2008 (Tue) 23:47

View of Seattle from Kerry Park, WA. About 6 images stitched together in Photoshop CS3 using Photomerge

silversldr 25th of June 2008 (Wed) 00:22

I am not anywhere in the class of the other pictures on here but I will throw mine out there as well. If I remember correctly there are 18 exposures here. I have just started trying these so if anyone has any pointers for me, I am all ears.

gixxer 25th of June 2008 (Wed) 00:48

Here's one of mine, can't remeber how many shots it was I think about 9.

evizzle 25th of June 2008 (Wed) 01:49

love your shot silversldr, the blacks are great!

Haven't pan-o-d with my XSi yet, but this is a handheld one I took last trip to NYC with my SD750.

redfordxx 1st of July 2008 (Tue) 01:52

Pristojnik, Slovenia, July 2004, 3.2Mpix camera, original 11300x1350.
I had to remove one tourist sitting on the rock;-)
my first pano...handheld

redfordxx 1st of July 2008 (Tue) 02:00

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry...here

FoV 270
altitude 2547 meters

redfordxx 1st of July 2008 (Tue) 02:08

BTW...concerning PTGui...in latest version you can save camera response curve and vigneting curve.
does anyone know the (mathematical) interpretation of the numbers in the saved files?

Hmood 1st of July 2008 (Tue) 02:34

1 Attachment(s)
Gran Melia Cancun April 2008. 2 pictures stitched. Shot with Canon 5D and 24-105mm .

Beau Hudspeth 8th of July 2008 (Tue) 04:52

Here is my best to date.

Click for larger Image

Thechef 8th of July 2008 (Tue) 05:57

My 2nd pano....
6 shots taken handheld and stiched together using Autostitch. So in reality, all i've done with this is taken 6 photos, run them through Autostitch and cropped into a rectangle.
Pretty happy with the output. Could do with some proper attention - for example theres some ghosting around the lamp post - but I think thats easy to remove.

First pano was using a point and shoot camera at the Ashes (Cricket) last year - i'll post that if I can find it...