Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon Digital Photography Forums (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php)
-   Accessories & Storage (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Hyperdrive (Sanho) Customer Support is fantastic - Portable Storage Devices (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=671917)

SteveNC 2nd of April 2009 (Thu) 15:32

Hyperdrive (Sanho) Customer Support is fantastic - Portable Storage Devices

I sent them an email at 7pm with a question, and in literally 19 minutes they had replied with a quick resolution to an issue I was having with my old HD80 device. Then replied several more times to other questions I had. Keep in mind this device is many years old, so the fact that they are still supporting it in such a fashion is a testament to their customer service. The icing on the cake, for me, was that they offered (twice) to send certain parts that I had lost for no charge whatsoever. I'm not used to getting such support, but it is most welcome coming from a company whose product is responsible for storing my photos; this is arguably the product that I need to trust the most.

deletedpenguin 13th of April 2009 (Mon) 22:55

Re: Hyperdrive (Sanho) Customer Support is fantastic - Portable Storage Devices

That's great to hear! I'm looking into a newer version for my travels later this year. Would you recommend this?

Twotan 6th of June 2009 (Sat) 16:02

That is saying a lot about them. I will thing about buying a hyperdrive soon. Thanks for posting.

tvphotog 6th of June 2009 (Sat) 20:02

I've got one and have given them as gifts. Your information is good to know.

SteveNC 6th of June 2009 (Sat) 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by deletedpenguin (Post 7724992)
That's great to hear! I'm looking into a newer version for my travels later this year. Would you recommend this?

Yes definitely.

If you want to backup your photos, you should get a backup device designed specifically to keep photos safe. Some people prefer netbooks but my personal opinion is that there is too much that can go wrong with a netbook. What happens when there's a "fatal error" or other PC malfunction in Windows XP or Vista on your netbook, or someone sits on your pack (or a porter throws it into the belly of a plane, or the trunk of a taxi) and the netbook's screen the screen cracks, rendering the entire device non-functional? Same thing for mp3 playing photo storage devices; extra "features" simply introduce complexity and potential for error that distracts from the primary goal of backing up your photos.

Have two (2) copies of your photos. DO NOT IGNORE THIS PIECE OF ADVICE. The hyperdrive is fantastic, but the device itself will not protect you from a hard drive failure. When you're traveling around, the drive is going to be subject to vibration from cars (think photo backpack in the trunk of a car, motorcycle taxi, hiking, high altitude (which places major stress on a drive and batteries), cold or hot weather, or other unforeseen circumstances that your traveling adventures will bestow upon your drive). Personally, I suffered a hard drive failure. The drive made it perfectly fine through 6 weeks in S. America, multi-day expeditions into the Amazon basin, canyons, getting altitude sickness and lost overnight in the Andes, being robbed three times, interrogated by military, etc. I had no backup device and I could not believe the drive actually made it back home to the US just fine; that is, until the drive started the click of death (CLICK, CLICK, CLICK) while I was sitting at my desktop computer. I had downloaded only 25% of the 80GB of photos. A data recovery service quoted $120 flat rate just to look at the drive and provide a recovery estimate, and later told to expect it to cost around $500. How much are your photos worth to you? For me, more than $500. I just wish I spent that $$ on another backup Hyperdrive rather than dishing it out to a recovery service. What happens when your pack gets stolen? I'm lucky I even have the opportunity to spend money to get my photos back. Keep in mind, a drive failure can happen anywhere. A brand new western digital drive failed in my desktop computer last week after loading only 40GB of data into it. It wasn't even flown on a plane, or placed in a taxi, etc.

Evaluate your needs and priorities and tailor your storage solution to fit them. Think about what type of trip you are taking, what your potential needs are in the future, the value you place in your photos, the purpose and priorities of your trip, how much or how little gear you are taking, what environment(s) you may find yourself in, etc. The Hyperdrive is the safest and most "portable" and reliable (IMO) solution on the market, but perhaps you should go with another device that suits your needs such as a netbook for backup. While I did mention that a netbook would offer less protection than a hyperdrive, it could serve as a backup, and protect you from theft or lost baggage if you keep each backup solution in a different location (ie. hyperdrive on your person at all times, netbook stays in hostel/hotel room while you are in the field or on a multi-day trip from your base location, etc).

Back to my original post, I think that with the customer support to back you up, the decision is obvious for me. For my next trip I'll be using my older Hyperdrive HD80 (can be had for fairly cheap if you buy it used) along with the newer Hyperdrive UDMA for both my backup and primary storage solutions (respectively).

fast1 7th of June 2009 (Sun) 10:01

thanks for the info, it was helpful!

SteveNC 7th of June 2009 (Sun) 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast1 (Post 8065094)
thanks for the info, it was helpful!

Glad I could help. I really have strong feelings about this after ignoring similar advice before embarking on extended photography trips. These are my thoughts after literally several years worth of research, reading and talking to various sources, and my own personal experiences. As always, make sure to do your own research and find a solution that suits your own personal needs, as yours may be different than mine. However, I think the second back-up is NON-NEGOTIABLE, unless perhaps you would not be heartbroken if your photos were lost or stolen or broken. How much are your photos worth to you?

colbyb25 7th of June 2009 (Sun) 11:45

Not to Hijack this post or anything, but I am selling my Hyperdrive Colorspace-O with a 120 gig HD inside it currently. It is a great peace of technology. I am only selling it to buy one of the new ones, so if you are looking to save a few bucks in purchasing one of these devices then just shoot me a PM.

hollis_f 7th of June 2009 (Sun) 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveNC (Post 8063330)
but my personal opinion is that there is too much that can go wrong with a netbook. What happens when there's a "fatal error" or other PC malfunction in Windows XP or Vista on your netbook, or someone sits on your pack (or a porter throws it into the belly of a plane, or the trunk of a taxi) and the netbook's screen the screen cracks, rendering the entire device non-functional?

But every single one of those can happen with the Hyperdrive. And if it does then you're stuffed - no chance of recovery until you get home. If you have a netbook then some recovery tools (heck, even a minimal WinXP install) will fit on a bootable USB stick - could well fix software problems if you know what you're doing.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Hyperdrive is a great bit of kit. And your experience with customer support just adds the that feeling. But I really do think that the netbook has a lot going for it.

So much so that I'm taking one with me to Africa for a three-week trip starting Saturday. As well as backing up my photos I'll be using it whenever I can find a wi-fi connection to look at some email and maybe even read PotN. I could even upload some of the photos I've already taken. The netbook screen is better than the Hyperdrive for reviewing/culling images and also for showing other people in the bar in the evening.

But you're dead right about needing secondary (and possibly tertiary backups). For the latter I'll be copying the best images onto a few 16GB SD cards - slow but cheap.

And for secondary backup - well, that's a Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA :)

SteveNC 7th of June 2009 (Sun) 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollis_f (Post 8065717)
But every single one of those can happen with the Hyperdrive. And if it does then you're stuffed - no chance of recovery until you get home. If you have a netbook then some recovery tools (heck, even a minimal WinXP install) will fit on a bootable USB stick - could well fix software problems if you know what you're doing.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Hyperdrive is a great bit of kit. And your experience with customer support just adds the that feeling. But I really do think that the netbook has a lot going for it.

So much so that I'm taking one with me to Africa for a three-week trip starting Saturday. As well as backing up my photos I'll be using it whenever I can find a wi-fi connection to look at some email and maybe even read PotN. I could even upload some of the photos I've already taken. The netbook screen is better than the Hyperdrive for reviewing/culling images and also for showing other people in the bar in the evening.

But you're dead right about needing secondary (and possibly tertiary backups). For the latter I'll be copying the best images onto a few 16GB SD cards - slow but cheap.

PS. I really like the 16GB SD card backups. Solid state memory is the way to go. I cannot wait until spinning discs are completely obsolete.

And for secondary backup - well, that's a Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA :)

Definitely it sounds like the netbook will suit your needs perfectly.

Again, my personal opinion is that the netbook has too much that can go wrong with it, much more so than the Hyperdrive. For example, someone in the bar may spill a drink on the netbook's keyboard, or someone may knock the netbook off the table for some reason while you're showing photos, or it may attract undue attention from thieves, etc. I prefer the Hyperdrive because it is turned on *only* to off-load photos and is otherwise kept in a Pelican case protected from dust (especially on a Safari) or water (in case it rains on my pack, or I drop it in a river while en route to a destination). The potential for Windows Vista or XP to cause erros that I cannot fix is completely removed from interfering with my photos being placed into a safe storage location. The Hyperdrive, IMHO, is a perfect example of KISS (keep it simple) whereas a netbook is more on the other end of the spectrum. For most of what I do, power (or the consistent lack thereof) is a major issue. What happens when there's a power surge and the AC adapter is fried?

Again, it is all about philosophy and trip priorities. Many if not most people will probably find the netbook perfect for their needs, especially if staying in conventional hotel rooms, not taking it "into the field," and where most of the trip is pre-planned. I think most photogs are trending towards netbooks. For me, I would just be too worried about them (obviously from my posts :)), unless I were carrying a ruggedized Panasonic laptop (used by the military).

Remember, to each his/her own! :) This is also why the debate could be endless and there is no clear cut answer to the "best" storage system.

fanorama 8th of June 2009 (Mon) 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveNC (Post 8066846)
Definitely it sounds like the netbook will suit your needs perfectly.

Again, my personal opinion is that the netbook has too much that can go wrong with it, much more so than the Hyperdrive. For example, someone in the bar may spill a drink on the netbook's keyboard, or someone may knock the netbook off the table for some reason while you're showing photos, or it may attract undue attention from thieves, etc. I prefer the Hyperdrive because it is turned on *only* to off-load photos and is otherwise kept in a Pelican case protected from dust (especially on a Safari) or water (in case it rains on my pack, or I drop it in a river while en route to a destination). The potential for Windows Vista or XP to cause erros that I cannot fix is completely removed from interfering with my photos being placed into a safe storage location. The Hyperdrive, IMHO, is a perfect example of KISS (keep it simple) whereas a netbook is more on the other end of the spectrum. For most of what I do, power (or the consistent lack thereof) is a major issue. What happens when there's a power surge and the AC adapter is fried?

Again, it is all about philosophy and trip priorities. Many if not most people will probably find the netbook perfect for their needs, especially if staying in conventional hotel rooms, not taking it "into the field," and where most of the trip is pre-planned. I think most photogs are trending towards netbooks. For me, I would just be too worried about them (obviously from my posts :)), unless I were carrying a ruggedized Panasonic laptop (used by the military).

Remember, to each his/her own! This is also why the debate could be endless and there is no clear cut answer to the "best" storage system.

Thanks for such a nice info.