View Single Post
Old 21st of February 2012 (Tue)   #16
PhotoMatte

Default Re: "Why I'm Bored with the Wedding Industry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphotography View Post
I think the guy is full of bull.

He made his points and I slightly agree with some of them. Especially the part about everyone wanting to teach and market themselves instead of getting behind a camera and letting your work do the talking. He is right on that to a point.

Look

We all shoot and market in similar manners. NOT BECAUSE the industry is being run by amateurs and amateurs are teaching amateurs how to photograph weddings as he has suggested. I think he is full of himself.

We market and shoot in similar manners BECAUSE that what the trend is these days and thats what the client wants to buy.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Were gonna hit 90K this year with that formula. So, does that mean im part of the amateur crowd that he is suggesting ? My clients don't think so.

Second point.
He sounds like an old timer who is upset because the industry has changed so drastically over the past 5 yrs and the price point that the old crowd was getting has changed dramatically as well. Gone are the days of the 5k show up and shoot it wedding and hear is your album, thank you very much mentality. Kids these days are very sharp,know what they want, and are not going to put up with Old time thinking. Either you change and adapt or you move on. I think thats the case with some who no longer shoot weddings. They want it their way and wont adapt to the newer generations way of thinking, so they get on a computer and start to whine about how bad the wedding industry is------BS

Third point-
This is not easy. You have to be versatile,physically fit, know how to keep yourself out of trouble with lighting,have good posing skills and you have to have great people skills to survive. If you cant do that you is deep DoDO.

Fourth point:
I would love to get more creative and do some of the things he suggests. So how much time and money are you supposed to invest in a session and where are the people that want to go through that process ?

People are generally happy with nicely focused, nicely backlit, shallow DOF images. People are busy and just don't want to go through that process so they settle for something that fits their needs, not some egotistical bored with the industry crybaby interpretation about whats boring and what is not. lots of clients, I would say the majority of clients like what we do and thats why we are in business and others are not.

Fifth and final point:
much of the artistic stuff he showed and is talking about has much more to do with what you do in post processing then it does with anything else. If you want to spend that kind of time in post and get more artistic and then try to target an audience that want that artistic look......GOOD FOR YOU. If you can raise your price points because of that effort.... EVEN BETTER

BUT the majority of the market, and the figure is 80%, are in a the mid range price brackets for their areas. In Minnesota, that price point is $1200-2800.00 for 82% of the market. Other areas will vary. So my question for him is, how much time and effort should one put into the artistic side when the markets are where they are at. And, how would you expect one to stay in business and go the artistic direction as he suggests. As mentioned, the vast majority of clients, 80%, like boring, back lit, shallow DOF images that wedding industry photographers do on a daily basis.

I think the guy is just crying in his beer. Times and people change. If you cant stay with it,,,,sit back and write whiny complaints about how bad the industry is--------im tired of hearing guys like him frankly

" Those that can play the game, Everyone else pretends or teaches "

Its really that simple for me
Damn, I wasn't gonna read the article until I read this...now I want to see what all those 'points' were to begin with.

My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe
PhotoMatte is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member