Re: First wedding - lessons learned
Rather than explaining it over and over, i'm going to post my vignette technique once and point people at it if they ask for it. This thread is as good a place as any.
1) Open high res file.
2) Get the lasso tool, in the options bar set it to a 250px feather (that's the max it'll do). For web sized images try 50px.
3) Draw a rough outline around the main subject, don't be too fussy. Leave some space between them and what's around them. This takes me 3 seconds, if it takes you much longer you're doing it wrong.
4) Invert selection, copy selection to new layer.
5) On the new layer open levels, drag the middle slider to the right until you like the way it looks.
6) Same layer, add some gaussian blur if you like.
7) Add saturation and contrast adjustment layers to taste.
8) Add channel mixer adjustment layer if you want B&W. I look at each channel using Control + 1 thru Control + 3, then mix them to taste. Control + ~ resets to show you all the channels at once.
9) If you want sepia or duotone go to your top layer, hold down alt, and select "merge layers". A new layer will be created. Do you tinting there.