FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 30 Mar 2012 (Friday) 21:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jdmhon
Joined Jul 2010
233 posts
San Francisco, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I wanted to take pictures of a friend riding his motorcycle. I haven't done any moving shots yet and I thought id take a stab at it.

My idea was to have someone drive my truck while I shoot from the back drivers side corner of the bed and have another friend hold a 22" kacey beauty dish with a grid and an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra at the other end of the bed while my rider friend rides behind us at around 20-25mph.

I was thinking about going with a shutter speed around 1/40-1/80 depending on my focal length I am using to blur the background and hopefully stop a lot of the motion of my friend riding with the flash in the beauty dish.

any suggestions or recommendations for doing this type of shot? any help will be appreciated.

Post #1, Mar 30, 2012 21:28:01

5D III x2 & FUJI xT-1s: 24L, 35L, 50L 85L II, 100L Macro H-IS, 135L Paul C Buff Lighting
-15" MacBook Pro Retina w/ Capture One & Lightroom 5 -Adobe CS6 Suite -NIK Software Contact: geoffmau@me.com
www.geoffmau.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Stan_Fox
Joined Sep 2010
108 posts
Charleston, SC, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you do this, see if you can get a safety harness, just in case. Almost had a buddy loose his life doing a shoot like this (professionally). Even bouncing off the pavement at 25mph hurts like heck, not to mention the loss of gear!

Try shooting with the tailgate down, while laying down. A yoga mat helps a lot with this, too. A lens with IS will help a lot, and I prefer to go shorter than longer focal length, where possible. You'd be surprised at how bouncy most roads are!

Good luck and be safe!

Post #2, Mar 31, 2012 19:05:34

Chief Bottle Washer
www.foxworthystudios.c​omexternal link
www.fromthefox.wordpre​ss.comexternal link
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

jdmhon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
233 posts
San Francisco, California
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks for the tips!

Post #3, Apr 02, 2012 03:51:33

5D III x2 & FUJI xT-1s: 24L, 35L, 50L 85L II, 100L Macro H-IS, 135L Paul C Buff Lighting
-15" MacBook Pro Retina w/ Capture One & Lightroom 5 -Adobe CS6 Suite -NIK Software Contact: geoffmau@me.com
www.geoffmau.comexternal link

TPhantom
Joined Jan 2012
33 posts
Orlando
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the tip! I'm planning to do the same thing with my friend's bike. Although it will be hard.

Post #4, Jun 13, 2012 01:41:53

Master ­ of ­ Defenestration
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
1,287 posts
Choctaw, OK
[MORE/SHARE]

I know this is an old thread...But if you strobe it...You'll freeze most of the motion you're going for in the picture.

Post #5, Jun 19, 2012 07:12:04

5D Mk III | 60D | Full tank of gas | Box of rocks
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moving motorcycle shots!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES