Best software for on-site printing?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 08 Mar 2013 (Friday) 03:44   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

fashionrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,020 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry everyone if this is a repeat threat. I tried searching, but couldn't find what I needed.

My friends and I have been shooting simple events such as 1st bday parties a lot lately and most clients want a muslin/paper backdrop with on-site printing. We're doing research on what to get. We have dye-sub printers ready to purchase. All we need to know is the software to use. We'll need something that you can easily create a frame template for and apply it to all photos being printed.

I've been using Lightroom 4 for a while. Is that any good for on-site printing?

Post #1, Mar 08, 2013 03:44:14

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Moppie
Joined Sep 2004
14,491 posts
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
[MORE/SHARE]

If you can set everything up properly then DSLR Remote pro has a photobooth feature that is designed to do what you want.

And don't get carried away with Dyesubs, they are expensive to buy and run.
A good ink jet can now come close in speed, is better in quality and a whole lot cheaper to operate.

Post #2, Mar 08, 2013 03:47:22

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

ShotByTom
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,650 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

dslrBooth and an epson artisan printer with a CIS system is all you need, less than $250 all together:

DSLRBOOTHexternal link $50
EPSON ARTISAN 837external link $137
CIS INK SYSTEMexternal link $60

The epsons are cheap enough you can buy 2 so you'll have a backup or you could set up two printers to spool for faster printing. We use them for small events and it prints a 4x6 in 10-15 seconds. The software handles all of the printing for you, and it's easy to set up a custom template.

Post #3, Mar 08, 2013 13:29:33

Gear
Websiteexternal link

rpavich
Joined Jan 2012
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ShotByTom wrote in post #15692351external link
dslrBooth and an epson artisan printer with a CIS system is all you need, less than $250 all together:

The epsons are cheap enough you can buy 2 so you'll have a backup or you could set up two printers to spool for faster printing. We use them for small events and it prints a 4x6 in 10-15 seconds. The software handles all of the printing for you, and it's easy to set up a custom template.

Wow...this is just what I've been looking for...a way to shoot live events and get prints to people quickly instead of getting their info and making a sale later...

thanks very much for the info.

One question comes to mind; do you have any idea where I could get "sleeves" for 4 x 6 prints? Sort of like a "souvenir photo" from an amusement park?

Post #4, Mar 08, 2013 13:48:48

ShotByTom
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,650 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

rpavich wrote in post #15692414external link
Wow...this is just what I've been looking for...a way to shoot live events and get prints to people quickly instead of getting their info and making a sale later...

thanks very much for the info.

One question comes to mind; do you have any idea where I could get "sleeves" for 4 x 6 prints? Sort of like a "souvenir photo" from an amusement park?

I used ivory colored 4x6 envelopes with my logo printed on it. They were about $4 for a box of 25 and I found them at walmart, along with several other colors.

THISexternal link might be what you're looking for.

Post #5, Mar 08, 2013 18:00:28

Gear
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
2,316 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Good info. I had some bad experience with ink jet printers in the past in which the ink dries and clogs the print head. Each time it cost more than the price of printer to fix. Would using a CIS ink system resolve the issue?

Post #6, Mar 08, 2013 19:18:28

Gearlist

ShotByTom
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,650 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

I've had good luck with the epsons and cis, I've never had one clog in just over a year.

Post #7, Mar 08, 2013 19:45:29

Gear
Websiteexternal link

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
1,799 posts
So Cal
[MORE/SHARE]

Moppie wrote in post #15690753external link
And don't get carried away with Dyesubs, they are expensive to buy and run.
A good ink jet can now come close in speed, is better in quality and a whole lot cheaper to operate.

Really? I'm using 2 Sony dye subs during my events and can print thousand in a few days without a problem. Well, if you know or can recommend a inkjet that can print 4x6 in less than 8 seconds and come out dry piled up, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Post #8, Mar 09, 2013 00:19:05

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com websiteexternal link ----- SportsShooter profileexternal link ----- Facebook pageexternal link

Matt ­ Peters
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2007
12,336 posts
Bracknell, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Some good info there.. Now to see how much the UK will rip me off for the same!

Post #9, Mar 09, 2013 02:21:39 as a reply to EmaginePixel's post 2 hours earlier.

The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)
1D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 MKII | 430ex x2 | RF-602 triggers x4

rpavich
Joined Jan 2012
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

EmaginePixel wrote in post #15694181external link
Really? I'm using 2 Sony dye subs during my events and can print thousand in a few days without a problem. Well, if you know or can recommend a inkjet that can print 4x6 in less than 8 seconds and come out dry piled up, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Ok....now that you've broken the ice on Dye Subs...which one would you use if you were printing on site?

Post #10, Mar 09, 2013 03:38:27

fashionrider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
1,020 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rpavich wrote in post #15694379external link
Ok....now that you've broken the ice on Dye Subs...which one would you use if you were printing on site?

I would also like to know this. But certain features I'm looking for is the ability to automatically cut 4x6 or 5x7 into 2 vertical strips. Don't care much about total capacity of rolls but would be good. I'd rather spend a lot of money on a good dye sub printer that'll last a long time and make my life easier than a cheap one that breaks quick.

Post #11, Mar 09, 2013 03:51:10

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

sponsored links
Moppie
Joined Sep 2004
14,491 posts
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
[MORE/SHARE]

EmaginePixel wrote in post #15694181external link

When two Epsons can print at the same seed for $300 as your $1,000 dye sub the maths of what is cheaper to run changes quite a lot.
The $1,000 dye sub will of course last a lot longer, but you can replace the cheap ink jets 3 times each and still come out ahead on cost.
Ink jet printers have improved a lot in the last few years and now you really do need to be doing huge volumes to get any financial benefit from a dye sub.

Post #12, Mar 09, 2013 04:19:37

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

rpavich
Joined Jan 2012
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

One more thing...how "turn key" is this system? I'm new to any of this...is it just "plug the printer ink thing into the printer and go" sort of deal or will I be frustrated because it wasn't made to do what I'm trying to do with it?

Post #13, Mar 09, 2013 04:36:11

tstowe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
1,190 posts
Beaufort, SC
[MORE/SHARE]

How is the software mentioned above better than just doing it in Photoshop? I do two on-site printing events each year, one at Easter and one at Christmas. I open the file, crop quickly and print.

Post #14, Mar 09, 2013 07:06:29

www.ToddStowe.comexternal link
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​omexternal link

ShotByTom
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,650 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

tstowe wrote in post #15694624external link
How is the software mentioned above better than just doing it in Photoshop? I do two on-site printing events each year, one at Easter and one at Christmas. I open the file, crop quickly and print.

I wouldn't have time to print with photoshop or lightroom at the events I do, this software automatically prints the photo with a custom border and logo in a matter of seconds. It comes down to streamlining your workflow to be as fast as possible so the line moves quickly and people aren't standing around waiting for prints. With this software I can focus on posing and shooting the picture and my 11 year old daughter can run the printer...which involves removing the photo from the printer and stuffing it into an envelope and handing it to the customer.

Post #15, Mar 09, 2013 07:31:05

Gear
Websiteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best software for on-site printing?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES