HAs anyone made a purchase from DigitalMonster?

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 18 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 07:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

magoosmc
Joined Jan 2012
734 posts
Keuka Lake NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I have been looking for another body and digitalmonster.com seems to have some pretty good prices. I could not find any negative info about them - actually just the opposite. I assume the low prices indicate that they are either selling gray market goods or are piecing out kits. Anyone ever deal with them? I would rather hear from someone on the forum rather than rely on reviews found on Google.

Post #1, Jul 18, 2013 07:24:09

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Bill ­ Emmett
Joined May 2012
144 posts
New Orleans, Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

You didn't specify what body you are looking at. I took a look at the site, and since I shoot Canon products, I only looked at the Canon EOS 6D. Under the Specs tab, at the very end of the specs, it notes this is a "import model". This means it is a Gray Market body, and possibly will not have a warranty for Canon USA. I would be careful ordering this camera, since "DigitalMonster.com did not show this upfront. Also, it is a price that is little to low. I bought a 7D Refurbished from B&H for just a few dollars more, but with a full Canon warranty.

Post #2, Jul 18, 2013 10:15:47

New Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, extension tubes, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender, Lowe Pro Bag, Rokinon 8mm fisheye

stsva
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
5,935 posts
Northern Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

Haven't bought from them; here's what resellerratings.com has, for what it's worth:
http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Digital​monster_comexternal link

Post #3, Jul 18, 2013 10:17:49

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profileexternal link
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net ...=744235&highlight=h​amsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

s.l.k
Joined Mar 2012
140 posts
Eugene, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

One of my litmus tests for any retailer is to see if they are an authorized Canon dealers. With DigitalMonster not being one of them.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...anonAuthorizedDeale​rs.pdfexternal link

Post #4, Jul 18, 2013 11:49:20

Feedback

gkas
Joined Nov 2002
511 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

stsva wrote in post #16131400external link
Haven't bought from them; here's what resellerratings.com has, for what it's worth:
http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Digital​monster_comexternal link

The 'reviews' sound a little too good.

Post #5, Jul 18, 2013 11:55:02

Gerry Kaslowski
gkas@socal.rr.com
Gerry's Pics http://MikeKazPhotogra​phy.com/Gerry/external link

sponsored links
magoosmc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
734 posts
Keuka Lake NY
[MORE/SHARE]

gkas wrote in post #16131714external link

I had already read the reviews and came to the same conclusion - it's easy to find a dozen or so friends that will add bogus reviews.

Gray market imports and refurbs don't really bother me as long as it is made known up front.

I was looking at the 6d body... What surprises me is that they have been around for two years and there are no scam alerts or warnings that can be found. If they were burning customers there would be some negative reports that would show up during at search. I'm still leary and am going to call their customer service number, ask a series of questions and see what my gut reaction is.

Post #6, Jul 18, 2013 12:25:00

Samgoit
Joined Sep 2006
822 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

2 months and 29 all positive reviews. Cookie cutter site (looks like every other Upsell, Out Of Stock, Bait and Switch, Grey Market page), complete with smiling customer service rep in upper corner.

It's the stereotypical, grifter, gypsy, NJ based camera site.

Post #7, Jul 18, 2013 12:38:20

Furlan
Joined Nov 2012
313 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

gkas wrote in post #16131714external link

Your being kind I think phony would be better. "Thank You Digital Monster" please
give me a break. The way this would go down is the camera is $1259 but we cant sell
without the battery, charger, cables, software etc that would come to an additional
$700.

Post #8, Jul 18, 2013 13:00:01

magoosmc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
734 posts
Keuka Lake NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Furlan wrote in post #16131894external link
Your being kind I think phony would be better. "Thank You Digital Monster" please
give me a break. The way this would go down is the camera is $1259 but we cant sell
without the battery, charger, cables, software etc that would come to an additional
$700.

You pretty much nailed it...
Called and talked to "Mike" - "The $1259 gray market model does not have a magnesium body and ships from China and all accesories are aftermarket. I can sell you a new USA model with a factory warranty that ships from NYC for $1649".

Their motto: "Scary Low Prices!" Yep. Scared me down the road to Adorama...

Post #9, Jul 18, 2013 14:30:05

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2003
5,287 posts
Southeast Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

The $1259 gray market model does not have a magnesium body

I don't know what the "genuine" 6D has for body material but gray market should be the same. This sounds more like a "replica"!

Post #10, Jul 18, 2013 14:39:00

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,349 posts
Mount Isa, North West Qld
[MORE/SHARE]

magoosmc wrote in post #16131801external link
I had already read the reviews and came to the same conclusion - it's easy to find a dozen or so friends that will add bogus reviews.

This is great advice.

Post #11, Jul 18, 2013 15:14:13

Trevor

sponsored links
silverstang23
Joined Jun 2010
427 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have not purchased from Digital Monster but their prices also seem "scary low to me". Looking specifically at the 5d3. I went to B&H to see if they price match. They have an interesting paragraph stating that they sell at the minimum allowed price by Canon due to minimum allowed pricing agreements for authorized vendors.

Post #12, Aug 24, 2013 19:12:26

Andrew Walker
Canon 7d, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 430ex, Alienbees B800, Vegabod II Flickrexternal link My Website

Dsick
Joined Aug 2013
71 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

They sell gray market cameras...the 6D they sell is made in Japan, same place same qualitfy control, but it was meant to be sold outside of the US so they don't have GPS or Wifi built in. Some countries are strict with that for some reason, good ole US of A, land of the free home of the brave. Those cameras also do not come with a warranty, and if it breaks, ur forking out pocket money to fix it. Although i've heard stories of Canon USA servicing gray market cameras.

Here's the catch, when you call them, they'll say there are only US models left, and the price goes back to what we all see them as, 1700 being the lowest i've seen so far. I would've absolutely picked up a gray market 6D body for 1259, but it's only there to bait you to call and they'll switch you to the USA models which is more.

Post #13, Aug 24, 2013 20:10:19

silverstang23
Joined Jun 2010
427 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Dsick wrote in post #16236922external link
They sell gray market cameras...the 6D they sell is made in Japan, same place same qualitfy control, but it was meant to be sold outside of the US so they don't have GPS or Wifi built in. Some countries are strict with that for some reason, good ole US of A, land of the free home of the brave. Those cameras also do not come with a warranty, and if it breaks, ur forking out pocket money to fix it. Although i've heard stories of Canon USA servicing gray market cameras.

Here's the catch, when you call them, they'll say there are only US models left, and the price goes back to what we all see them as, 1700 being the lowest i've seen so far. I would've absolutely picked up a gray market 6D body for 1259, but it's only there to bait you to call and they'll switch you to the USA models which is more.

Thanks for the insight. Seems like a complete scam

Post #14, Aug 24, 2013 20:45:37

Andrew Walker
Canon 7d, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 430ex, Alienbees B800, Vegabod II Flickrexternal link My Website

Helmsman
Joined Jul 2009
40 posts
West Monroe, LA
[MORE/SHARE]

The first thing to look for on the online store site is the street address. The lack of one is an immediate red light. Email, P.O. Box and a 1-800 phone number are too easy to get and get rid of. Such combination of "scary low prices" and "virtual" communication methods is a good sign of scammers.

Post #15, Aug 24, 2013 21:56:16

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,333 views & 0 likes for this thread
HAs anyone made a purchase from DigitalMonster?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES