Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #1
xclusix

Default Fake Moon shot?

Hey guys, i was just wondering, this guy i know claims to have taken this image last night (March 14th):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But, this image i think shows the current wrong phase for Mexico am i right?

He also claims that it was shot with a 70-200 + 2x converter wide open...is that level of detail possible on a 50D?

Thanks!
xclusix is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #2
nebula_42

Default Re: Fake Moon shot?

Moon phases are the same all over the world on the same night. With a 200mm and 2X on a crop body, he's at 640mm. Not a real lot of magnification for the moon. The moon's image on the sensor plane would be about 6mm diameter, but he could have cropped it a lot. I would guess it's been sharpened quite a bit. Looks entirely doable to me. Nice shot.

all the usual stuff
nebula_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #3
xclusix

He gave me his permission to post it here, this had to be done on tripod and about F/8.0 right? lowest ISO possible...? thanks...
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #4
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusix View Post
He gave me his permission to post it here, this had to be done on tripod and about F/8.0 right? lowest ISO possible...? thanks...
It's spot on for the correct phase, and I can't see anything that would suggest it's not genuine.

Get him to post the image with the exif data intact. That will show camera model, lens, date, exposure settings.

The only problem is that it's upside-down

hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #5
martyn_bannister

Quote:
Hey guys, i was just wondering, this guy i know claims to have taken this image last night (March 14th):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But, this image i think shows the current wrong phase for Mexico am i right?

He also claims that it was shot with a 70-200 + 2x converter wide open...is that level of detail possible on a 50D?

Thanks!
Very sharp for a zoom + TC on a APS-C body, even allowing for PP.

If in any doubt, just start up Stellarium and plug in your mexican friend's location. Have a look at the moon for the date and time in question. See what he would have seen. Simple
martyn_bannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #6
hagz

here is one i took a couple of nights ago with a 70-300 no extension tube or anything else on my eos 60d

hagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #7
hagz

not quite as sharp but it was my first attempt and it is blown up a little
Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #8
martyn_bannister

Taken tonight using Canon 10D mounted prime focus on 130mm reflector, stacked 17 images and sharpened unmercifully.

Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #9
xclusix

Well i guess ill never know, the 60D+70-300 shot is impressive as well...this guy wont provide RAW image, PP method and the jpeg given has no EXIF...so... ill have to belive him. Thanks you all!

PS. i tried it on my 7D with a 300F4 and i just cant get that much detail without stacking...i dont know how to do that BTW...
Old 17th of March 2011 (Thu)   #10
hagz

if you ask me the 50d is shot is extremely sharp i did a bit of an experiment and sharpened my image in it's max resolution and then cropped it it does look sharper but not that sharp lol.

Old 17th of March 2011 (Thu)   #11
martyn_bannister

I think the "seeing" has a lot to do with how sharp an image results. No doubt in Mexico the seeing is a lot better than the south of UK
Old 17th of March 2011 (Thu)   #12
xclusix

No no i did some tests and with a 300 and 1.4x at f8 on tripod ISO 100 and lots of PP my image is not that sharp... I cant just belive him... Any good PP method you know? What i do is no NR raw from DPP then little sharpening, into PS. In PS CS5 i do levels layer select aplly, crop and then USM for overall contrast. Then on a new layer high pass filter and mask over where i want it sharper with hard light blending mode... Is that any good?
Old 18th of March 2011 (Fri)   #13
hagz

Quote:
No no i did some tests and with a 300 and 1.4x at f8 on tripod ISO 100 and lots of PP my image is not that sharp... I cant just belive him... Any good PP method you know? What i do is no NR raw from DPP then little sharpening, into PS. In PS CS5 i do levels layer select aplly, crop and then USM for overall contrast. Then on a new layer high pass filter and mask over where i want it sharper with hard light blending mode... Is that any good?
wow thats a lot of PP i just took the shot cropped it adjusted the exposure settings then sharpened a little could be why mine i snot so sharp.
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #14
mtbdudex

I've taken lots with my T1i (15MP) + 70-200 MkII L + TC's, here is one from 3/16 with 2.0 & 1.4 TC for 560mm, cropped to 1947 1558, posted 1024 x 819

IMO, the OP picture has too much detail, I've never been able to capture that much detail in a single shot thru my 70-200 MkII L + TC's set-up.
Either he stacked the shots or thru a scope, IMO

However, he is your "friend", possible very still air in high Mexico area gave opportunity to capture that detail?

Here is one that is close to that detail, taken Jan 12, 2011 9:20pm, a single shot, still not as crisp.
First quarter Moon on 12 January 2011 at 6:32 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Phase of the Moon on 13 January: waxing gibbous with 62% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

vs "the study shot in question
Phase of the Moon on 14 March: waxing gibbous with 67% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated

like others have said, the moon is flipped over, like thru a scope and he forgot to flip it back in PP.....
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels

Last edited by mtbdudex : 19th of March 2011 (Sat) at 05:58.
mtbdudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of March 2011 (Fri)   #15
martyn_bannister

Well, the answer is, if you can't quite believe the first shot is real, ask for another If your friend can produce on demand, they must be kosha.