Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 03 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 13:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

2012-01-02 Waxing Gibbous Moon

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hubert, North Carolina, USA.
Jan 03, 2012 13:06 |  #1

Last night I stepped outside to take some pictures of the Moon before the clouds rolled in later in the evening. Took some using my Celestron 80mm ED refractor and some with my 100-400mm L Lens.
This is one that was taken with the 80ED, and the others as well as more of my astrophotography can be found here >> https://plus.google.co​m ...-3fJKlDnul7bJ33U&hl=en_​US (external link)

Camera: Canon EOS 50D
Celestron C80ED Refractor.
Focal Length: 650mm,
Focal Ratio: f/7.5
ISO 100
1/150 second shutter speed.

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g5ZMObZGiIY/TwNOkRvRVrI/AAAAAAAAFNM/rxHFbgdASPY/s912/2012-01-02-WaxingGibbousMoon.jpg

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Jan 03, 2012 14:09 |  #2

There seems to be a strange cyan color aberration around the edge that I wouldn't have expected from that scope. Is that a camera jpeg ?
Your link is as shown (http://*******/d0Q3w) and doesn't work.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Jan 03, 2012 14:28 |  #3

SteveInNZ wrote in post #13640334external link
There seems to be a strange cyan color aberration around the edge that I wouldn't have expected from that scope. Is that a camera jpeg ?
Your link is as shown (http://*******/d0Q3w) and doesn't work.

Nope, it's not a camera jpeg. That color is from the filter I was using and probably a little bit of my post processing and because it wasn't completely dark outside just yet.
I use a Baader Moon and Sky-glow filter.

Fixed the link, for some reason POTN doesn't like shortened URL's. I Suppose that's because it shortens them itself.

Tim Kerr

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Jan 03, 2012 16:53 |  #4

Ah. Now that you mention it, it does have that neodymium look about it. Do you get that level of contrast improvement visually ?

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

tkerr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Jan 03, 2012 16:55 |  #5

SteveInNZ wrote in post #13641222external link
Ah. Now that you mention it, it does have that neodymium look about it. Do you get that level of contrast improvement visually ?

It makes a world of difference with and without the filter. Especially as the Moon is in the brighter gibbous phases. With the filter it's not so bright and blown out, nor as hard on the eyes.
I only wish I had a filter like that for my EF 100-400mm L.

Tim Kerr

977 views & 0 likes for this thread
2012-01-02 Waxing Gibbous Moon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.