Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of February 2012 (Wed)   #1
EOS mE
Goldmember

Default dolica CF tripod @ costco

missed out on the newegg deal for $89 on the Dolica ZX600B300, but found this one at costco @ $99.

Dolica ZX600B103

ordered it yesterday, got it today. costco has a great return policy, so pulled the trigger.

can't wait to try it out when i get home.

EDIT: Photo Album of Tripod and Camera Mounted

My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

Last edited by EOS mE : 5th of February 2012 (Sun) at 00:44.
EOS mE is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of February 2012 (Wed)   #2
irishman
Goldmember

Default Re: dolica CF tripod @ costco

Great deal if you can live with the 4 sections.
Old 1st of February 2012 (Wed)   #3
EOS mE
Goldmember

this is my first official tripod and it looks pretty sturdy. at first i thought the max load of 13lbs may not be enough for my 5D2 gripped + 70-200L f2.8 IS + 580EX2, but left it on there at different angle and checked to see if it dropped any... and it's still there. could be that it's brand new so it's not really broken in yet, but we'll have to wait and see. :P

My Reviews:
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #4
coibeo2610

I would like to know about the head. Does it move when using your setup?

Best,
MC
coibeo2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #5
EOS mE
Goldmember

^^ nope. it doesn't. i tried to shake it but it's solid. i weigh my setup on the digital scale and it show 7.6lbs, which is usually off by a couple pounds, so it should be close to 10lbs. so with everything mounted on there, it didn't move.

My Reviews:
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #6
Euro852

Wrong section to post but I saw this deal too, I looked into it. I prefer a traveler type of tripod since im going to Hong Kong in a two months. Still waiting to pull the trigger on the FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441S Rapid.
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #7
EOS mE
Goldmember

charles, for travel size i guess that feisol would fit your needs. for me i travel quite a bit for work and have thought about getting a travel sized one, but end of day, i don't use tripod that much to justify spending that amount of dough. this $99 one is 3.5lbs, 4 section and fits in my carry on.

plus ur going to HK, so u might want to check it out there, since these are all made in China, i wouldn't be surprise to find it cheaper overseas.

when i went to Taiwan 3 yrs ago, i found a 10-22 made in Japan for $500. but i knew eventually i wanted to go FF, so passed up on that. till this day, with my 30D, i regretted not buying that!

My Reviews:
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #8
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

Damn, that's a nice tripod. I like the size, looks like it'd work well for travel.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #9
EOS mE
Goldmember

^^ rick.. i think for that price and costco's return policy plus it's carbon fiber.. u can't beat that with a bat.

My Reviews:
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #10
T2i4me
Goldmember

Maybe someone can do an in-depth review with photos on this tripod from Costco.
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #11
wuzzittoya
Goldmember

I have a dolica tripod. It is pretty sturdy and the only trouble I've had with it is creep on the ball head when I've got my 7D in portrait position with either of my big lenses on it. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the head on it or not, but I'm considering trying it by getting the head I want to put on the monopod I'm looking at and seeing if it will swap onto the tripod. If it does, I'll probably keep the Dolica a few more years with a better head and keep putting money into glass for now.

For what it cost, I'm pretty pleased with mine!
wuzzittoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #12
EOS mE
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2i4me View Post
Maybe someone can do an in-depth review with photos on this tripod from Costco.
i'll take some shots later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzittoya View Post
I have a dolica tripod. It is pretty sturdy and the only trouble I've had with it is creep on the ball head when I've got my 7D in portrait position with either of my big lenses on it. I'm not sure if I can upgrade the head on it or not, but I'm considering trying it by getting the head I want to put on the monopod I'm looking at and seeing if it will swap onto the tripod. If it does, I'll probably keep the Dolica a few more years with a better head and keep putting money into glass for now.

For what it cost, I'm pretty pleased with mine!
you know.. that's one of the worries i had too. especially when i shoot nighttime photography, the last thing i want is to have the ball head creep. as for mounting the big lens.. i put my 70-200L f2.8 IS and have the tripod collar mount on the ring side instead of the bottom of my batt. grip. with my version, the tripod collar can move forward or backwards (there's some spacing for adjustment on the plate itself) prior to screwing it on. thus, i'd set the plate as far back (meaning as close to the lens mount direction as possible) before screwing it on. this way, it's very balanced on the overall setup.

My Reviews:
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #13
wuzzittoya
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOS mE View Post
i'll take some shots later tonight.

you know.. that's one of the worries i had too. especially when i shoot nighttime photography, the last thing i want is to have the ball head creep. as for mounting the big lens.. i put my 70-200L f2.8 IS and have the tripod collar mount on the ring side instead of the bottom of my batt. grip. with my version, the tripod collar can move forward or backwards (there's some spacing for adjustment on the plate itself) prior to screwing it on. thus, i'd set the plate as far back (meaning as close to the lens mount direction as possible) before screwing it on. this way, it's very balanced on the overall setup.
Yes, I mount mine with the tripod collar too - but when I put everything in portrait mode (sideways on the ball mount) I have noticeable creep after a few seconds as gravity takes over, no matter how hard I tighten. It could be, too, that the coordination issues are just making it too hard for me to get the ball tightened down enough though. But just in case thought I would see if the head was replaceable when I get a head and a new monopod.

When everything is balanced on top it works great.
wuzzittoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #14
EOS mE
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzittoya View Post
Yes, I mount mine with the tripod collar too - but when I put everything in portrait mode (sideways on the ball mount) I have noticeable creep after a few seconds as gravity takes over, no matter how hard I tighten. It could be, too, that the coordination issues are just making it too hard for me to get the ball tightened down enough though. But just in case thought I would see if the head was replaceable when I get a head and a new monopod.

When everything is balanced on top it works great.
wuzzi.. can you post up a pick in the portrait setting. maybe we have different ball head. cuz i tried it last night with mine and it seemed ok. i'll put a standard level tool on the camera and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_reno View Post
I'd toss that bullhead and put a RRS head on it, I'm assuming it will fit. I might grab one of these.
hey rick, if the RRS head would work on it.. please let me know. from what i heard from dolica, they said their ball head is designed like the gitzo.. but not sure if that means it will fit or not.

My Reviews:

Last edited by EOS mE : 2nd of February 2012 (Thu) at 11:37.
Old 2nd of February 2012 (Thu)   #15
freddyttt

I grabbed this deal-

was going with the Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Ball Head but at 99.00 i had to give it a shot-

first tri. with my new t3i ....
freddyttt is offline   Reply With Quote