Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #1
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Default Shooting with 2 bodies....

This is more related to cycling race photography. In another words, your "shot window" is only "open" for 7 to 8 sec before the entire field passes you by. My 1dIII has been my main camera. Recently, I have acquired a 5dII. Curious about full frame and etc. I am still very new in shooting with 2 bodies. I don't even know how to use the second body. Even with one body, I always have enough time to switch my lens. In a typical race, you would get multiple fields racing at the same time with 2 minutes or more intervals in between. So, I always have enough time to switch my lens. I have tired to shoot both bodies at my "shot window." The 5dII with a 70-200L shooting the front of the field. And quickly, I would grab my 1dIII + 24-70L for that close quarter shots. I found myself losing concentrations in the process.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #2
C.david

Default Re: Shooting with 2 bodies....

Too, I am not going to tell you anything you don't already know...practice and patience.
Of course it is easier if one is on a monopod. If one is tether to you somehow you'll find yourself reaching for it more readily as you know exactly where it is. Yeah, initially it does take concentration. You'll be fine
C.david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #3
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

The "reach around" is a technique I see a lot of sports shooters use...

They simply let the big rig on the monopod fall back and rest on one shoulder while they reach around the 'pod with both hands to use their close in camera.
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #4
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Thanks guys but what I am trying to say is that I just don't find it shooting with 2 bodies are useable in cycling photography. If you are on a motobike, yes. Even when I tried to switch bodies as the field passes me, I feel that I am wasting precious seconds by doing so. During my shot window, 7 sec or so, I can focus on using just one lens and body and to concentrate on nailing the focus on each rider (sometimes on a specific rider on a specific team) as they are zipping me by.

I only use two lenses. 24-70L and 70-200L. Neither of them would require me to use a monopod.
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #5
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking then if you already know your limitations and you already have a reliable technique...
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #6
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog View Post
I guess I'm not sure what you're asking then if you already know your limitations and you already have a reliable technique...
Hehehe....I am hoping there are some important ways to shoot with 2 bodies in cycling photography. Something I don't know much. I want to use my 5dII but I haven't found a good reason yet.....
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #7
kenjancef
Goldmember

This??

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/dr1/
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #8
ajaffe

Remote
ajaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #9
jra
Cream of the Crop

When using two camera bodies, it should only take a second or less to switch between the two. Obviously, you'll be using your longer lens first and then you'll allow it rest back on your shoulder with the monopod as you bring around your second rig with a shorter FL lens. With a little practice, you should be able to make the switch very quickly.
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #10
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
When using two camera bodies, it should only take a second or less to switch between the two. Obviously, you'll be using your longer lens first and then you'll allow it rest back on your shoulder with the monopod as you bring around your second rig with a shorter FL lens. With a little practice, you should be able to make the switch very quickly.

Ok, I will get it a try. I will make it my mission to use 2 bodies. Yes, I have 2 Blackrapids.
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #11
sspellman

Is it an option to use the 5D with WA lens on a tripod, pre focus to the right spot, and use a remote to take a photo sequence on continuous drive mode?
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #12
Dan-o
Goldmember

I use three bodies. 1DMIV with 300 2.8, 1DMIII with 70-200, and 5DMIII with 16-35. I guess you just get used to it, no real trick.
FaceBook Page
Dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2012 (Sat)   #13
Cozmocha

I NEVER go with out at least two bodies. I was shooting a big concert and a body locked up and gave me a 99 error mid gig when we only had three songs to shoot. I had an extra body with a fish eye for a shot or two so I swapped lenses and used that body as my main body. Even if not using it, it's very handy to have an extra body within reach. Even it is a 30D and you are shooting with a 1DIV. If the 1DIV fails you can still get something to make the client happy.
Cozmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #14
Tessa
Playing with fire

I don't shoot cycling, I shoot racing and always with two cameras.

One scenario where this might be needed: during a track race one car stopped right before us and burst into flames. Other photographers beside me had only one camera with a long lens (way too long for that situation) and didn't get the shot, but I swapped to the camera with a WA attached and got the brief action. There was no time to switch lenses on the camera, so I would have missed the shot if I didn't carry two cameras.
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #15
Justaddwata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I don't shoot cycling, I shoot racing and always with two cameras.

One scenario where this might be needed: during a track race one car stopped right before us and burst into flames. Other photographers beside me had only one camera with a long lens (way too long for that situation) and didn't get the shot, but I swapped to the camera with a WA attached and got the brief action. There was no time to switch lenses on the camera, so I would have missed the shot if I didn't carry two cameras.
Thats the way I would think to go too. You have a great primary body/lens so use it where it works best and keep the other on hand for other opportunities (on or off track) as they come up. Never hurts to have a second body on hand in case of failure too.
Better to be focused with one camera shooting than missing shots swapping for the sake of swapping.
Justaddwata is offline   Reply With Quote