Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of March 2006 (Sat)   #1
Jamie Lynne

Default Need advice on a good point-and-shoot w/ that takes good nightshots.

Hey guys, a friend of mine is shopping around for a good small point and shoot that takes good night/dark shots. I have a 20D and I'm not too familiar with Canon's lower end products. Anyway--she needs it typically for indoors (bars, clubs, venues, etc). Thanks for any help yall can give
Jamie Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of March 2006 (Sat)   #2
dissembled

Default Re: Need advice on a good point-and-shoot w/ that takes good nightshots.

I would recommend Fuji's superzoom products. ISO's range from 50+ - 1600.
dissembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of March 2006 (Sat)   #3
dissembled

Default Re: Need advice on a good point-and-shoot w/ that takes good nightshots.

Oh. And Neat Image. Hehe.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of March 2006 (Sat)   #4
Jamie Lynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissembled
Oh. And Neat Image. Hehe.
What image? I'm confused. lol Thanks for the suggestion!!
Jamie Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of March 2006 (Sat)   #5
John C

It's a noise reduction program Jamie - assuming that your friend is using high iso, they''ll probably be wanting it
Some of My Photos (on flickr)
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of March 2006 (Sat)   #6
G M Fude

High ISO setting in digital cameras amplify the signal coming from the CCD. This is good in low light photography, but the downside is that it also amplifies random noise from the circuits, which appears as 'speckles' on the image. Software such as Neat Image will clean up those speckles. An alternative programme that does the same thing is Noise Ninja. Full details of what they do can be found in either of those links.
Old 4th of March 2006 (Sat)   #7
dissembled

Of course, you'll want a camera that creates 'nice' noise at high ISO speeds.

While noise reduction software is useful, it lowers the details of your photos ,giving them a somewhat softer, more plasticy feel. I personally like that softer look....but many people don't.
Unfortunately, most digital camera manufacturers uphold the belief that sharper is better. Which of course is a load of doo doo.

If you really want a Canon camera and don't want to try the Fuji I advised you, I'm not gonna try and stop you..Admittedly, while the Fuji is equipped w. high ISO speeds, the noise created at those higher settings often convert your photos to an impressionistic like painting.

I would still recommend it though if your friend likes smaller prints.

If your friend really wants a Canon..then i'd recommend waiting untill May to get the S3 IS.
Canon promises less noise and the option for ISO 800! 400 ISO would no doubt be useable w. larger prints! ^^

If a money is an option, however, (GAH! :P) then I'd just recommend getting any one of Canon non-superzoom Powershot cameras along w. a tripod.