FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 05 Aug 2003 (Tuesday) 20:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I live in the California desert. Generally, my choices are: take pictures with lots of sand and/or pictures with lots of sky. We don't have that many pretty little flowers to use our macro lenses on. Besides, we have Africanized Killer Bees around here competing for those precious few flowers.

Today I was taking pictures with lots of sky using my 17-40L with a Hoya circular polarizer. Upon reviewing the images, I observed that sky was darkened by the filter as expected, but portions of the sky (particularly in the corners of the image) were much darker than others. Is this a common problem with circular polarizers, or is it an anomoly inflicted on just me?

Is that more pronounced with wide-angle lenses? Is the only solution to use less polarizing effect? If so, is there another way to crank up contrast (besides post-processing)?

Thanks, friends.

By the way, This forum is wonderful. I've learned a great deal.

Post #1, Aug 05, 2003 20:29:28

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Barry ­ in ­ Md
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2003
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

It sounds as if the polarizer was vignetting at the widest angle of your zoom. I am assuming that this was noticible when you were at 17mm but not so at 40mm. You can get "thin" filters that reduce/eliminate this effect. I use a Hoya thin with my 16-35 and have no problems.

Post #2, Aug 05, 2003 20:34:05

Belmondo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I really don't believe that's the case, however. As I understand vignetting, it's an actual obstruction of the image by the filter ring or some other 'thing.'

This is a gradual darkening of the sky that that begins in roughly the center of the image and increases toward the edge of the image. Interestingly, it alternated between corners, probably as a result of turning the filter while adjusting the zoom (or something).

Post #3, Aug 05, 2003 20:40:27

RGorrill
Joined May 2003
53 posts
Great state of Maine in the USA.
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

The problem with the darkening problem is the extreme wide-angle lens that is covering a much larger area of the sky than a normal lens or a not-so-wide angle lens. Just the basic facts of polarized life.

Bob

Post #4, Aug 06, 2003 16:47:56

Belmondo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rgorrill wrote:
Hi,

The problem with the darkening problem is the extreme wide-angle lens that is covering a much larger area of the sky than a normal lens or a not-so-wide angle lens. Just the basic facts of polarized life.

Bob

I already resigned myself to that fact. I'm mostly relieved that there isn't anything wrong with my camera and/or me. It's also very comforting to know that the sky out here really isn't turning black.

Post #5, Aug 06, 2003 19:05:48

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sjprg
Joined Jul 2003
297 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Starts turning black at about 70,000 feet
Paul

Post #6, Aug 07, 2003 00:53:08

Paul
San Jose, Ca. USA
http://www.pbase.com/s​jprgexternal link
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Dogs have masters, Cats have staff.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
Circular Polarizer on 17-40L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES