FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 07 Apr 2006 (Friday) 08:26   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Bohlen ­ Photo
Joined Mar 2006
64 posts
Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

Anybody have some general rules on when to bounce, not bounce or omni bounce?
- group formals 3/4 shots shoulder shots

My wedding kit is the Stroboframe cameraflip, 20D, 580 ex , and omnibounce handy if needed.

I anticipate 45 degree bounce at reception hall of course but really struggling in church...the camerflip gets it high enough that head on is what I'm guessing you'll say for groups go flash straight on, then with the sto-fen omnibounce for couple formals. Probably 1/3 plus on F.E.C. for the 20D throughout the day?
But I await you take on the issue.

Post #1, Apr 07, 2006 08:26:19

20D - You can hear this shutter comin'
580 EX
Stroboframe Cameraflip
Stofen Omni
Kit Lens

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Bohlen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2006
64 posts
Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

Please try to specify the degrees or straight up if talking about bouncing upward.

Post #2, Apr 07, 2006 08:28:58

20D - You can hear this shutter comin'
580 EX
Stroboframe Cameraflip
Stofen Omni
Kit Lens

rvt1000
Joined May 2005
173 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

if you've got the stofen, why not bounce straight up.... the omni boucne itself will diffuse some light straight into the scene? assuming of course there are no harsh shadows creeping in

Post #3, Apr 07, 2006 16:34:45

http://www.sandtphotog​raphy.comexternal link

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
Joined Apr 2005
19,130 posts
Northern Illinois, US
[MORE/SHARE]

I've never been a fan of the 45 degree technique. First, the amount of light that hits your subject directly will depend on your lens focal length and how you have the flash head zoomed. In some cases, it might make the top of the frame brighter than the bottom. Secondly, it can sometimes light up the ceiling directly above your subject, and being lit from directly above is often not flattering, especially for older people.

I bounce whenever there is something to bounce off of and my subject is close enough that I have enough power. I point the flash head straight up and use either a 3x5 card or the Lumiquest 80/20 to provide some direct illumination and catchlights.

The Sto-fen omnibounce is the most oversold, overused flash attachment out there. I have seen it used in many situations where it will do more harm than good. It will throw the light EVERYWHERE, which sometimes works well, but it wastes some of the light by lighting up the floor. If I had one, I would probably point it straight up.

Post #4, Apr 07, 2006 16:59:29

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
Joined Feb 2006
10,595 posts
Pasadena, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

for the group shot, I'd probably use the stofen.
I think if you go to their site, it shows how the diffuser spreads the light over a greater angle, so a whole room is lit vs, just the center without the diffuser.

for the portrait, I think it's upto you to bounce or diffuse. I'd probably try both and see if there is any diff, if there is one, then go with the one you like better.

Post #5, Apr 07, 2006 17:10:48

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/external link

http://groups.yahoo.co​m/group/LAShooters/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't agree that the Omnibounce is useless. I used it for group shots last week and the flash work was very good. I had it at 45 degrees or up more towards the ceiling, the gym had bad yellow lighting and the ceiling was very high. I had hardly any shadows and the subjects were in focus (went manual most of the time). I'd say to try it out before hand. I had the my 20D with 24-70L with Press-T bracket and 580EX. That set up is great. Now next month I have a formal shoot where I have to stage the group of 4-6 people and I will have 550EX and 580EX on umbrella stands and ST-E2 on the 20D. Formal shots are a little bit more complicated.

Post #6, Apr 07, 2006 17:22:59

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,385 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I just shot an event (for free) and decided to try straight bounce, no diffuser. I use the Stroboframe CameraFlip on my 20D with a 550EX flash. The ceiling was low enough and white enough for bounce but the comment about getting the top of the picture brighter than the bottom is correct. Very easy to do. I'll use the LSII or the Lumiquest ProMax System from now on. Prefer the Lumiquest for efficiency.

Post #7, Apr 07, 2006 18:31:08

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

kawter2
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2004
2,046 posts
Orange County, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Curtis N wrote:
It will throw the light EVERYWHERE, which sometimes works well, but it wastes some of the light by lighting up the floor.

Yah california is in a light drought these days.. you can get a ticket for wasting too much light!

Post #8, Apr 08, 2006 01:28:39 as a reply to Curtis N's post 8 hours earlier.

Wedding Blogexternal link
Eric J. Weddingsexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
FLASH: "To bounce, not bounce or sto-fen"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES