Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of October 2006 (Mon)   #1
Novaheart

Default Title: POTN Powershot Speed Challenge #42 - The POTN Halloween Spooktacular! :)

Challenge #42 - Halloween Spooktacular!

Seeing as Halloween is Tuesday of next week, I might as well try this topic. The pics don't have to be of pumpkins, or people dressed in costumes (although they are welcome), you can post pictures that have an eerie, scary or creepy feeling to them.

Have fun!
Rob

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 30/10/06

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Any Canon Powershot Series Camera (SD, A-series, S1/2, & S-series only...No Pro 1's!!!)

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- Photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side and no more than 200K in size with NO BORDERS. Here is some help for resizing your photos in Photoshop - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...9&postcount=26

4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --
* ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
* Photo Name in the message subject line.
* Camera model.

6. Notes -- Name and camera you used and any other information pertaining to the photo...location, photo tips, brief EXIF data ect.

7. Commenting -- No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed, comments can be made in this thread.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... After winner is declared.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible after the contest has been closed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page). Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POTN Powershot Challenge Info & Winners List and Rankings: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=133933
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of October 2006 (Tue)   #2
Jeece

Default "Cemetree"

Cemetree

An half-dead tree I found in a cemetary last weekend. Its base was about 4 feet wide like an old tree, but it only had a few living branches (with leaves!) growing out of it near its base. Maybe it once got struck by thunder and now begins a second life? Anyways, this "Frankentree" sure gave the place a surnatural look!

Canon S2 IS
1/640s
F4
ISO 50
Cropped, unsaturated and warmed a bit. Resized, leveled and sharpened too.
Old 25th of October 2006 (Wed)   #3
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Default The Mask

This is my lighting test dummy that I dressed up for Halloween. Obviously the picture is intentionally underexposed for effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mask.jpg (79.6 KB, 340 views)

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of October 2006 (Wed)   #4
aLFaDaRK

Default Re: Title: POTN Powershot Speed Challenge #42 - The POTN Halloween Spooktacular! :)

Here's my entry:

Powershot A700, 1/60, f/2.8, ISO 100, taken using a tripod and timer with two light sources at different angles, of myself against a wall. Only post production is the levels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halloween.jpg (99.6 KB, 316 views)
aLFaDaRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of October 2006 (Thu)   #5
O_T

Default Cellar Door

A610
Manual Mode
f 4.5
1.75 Tv
4.34 Av
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cellar door.jpg (96.4 KB, 301 views)

my picasa

A610/S3 IS/ various adapters/filters/memory/
O_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2006 (Sat)   #6
Edd S

Default The Grim Reaper

Title: The Grim Reaper
Camera: Canon S2IS
Settings: Shutter Speed: 6 seconds
Aperature: F/5.6

Edd S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2006 (Sun)   #7
TJG

Default Old Spooky House

Here's my entry - the old spooky house.

Info:
Canon S3, 1/100, F/3.2, ISO 80, Program Mode, negative image of b/w image for effect.
Old 29th of October 2006 (Sun)   #8
spur

Default Ummmmm, Candy

S3, f/3.5, 5 sec.

spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of October 2006 (Mon)   #9
Novaheart

Default Re: Title: POTN Powershot Speed Challenge #42 - The POTN Halloween Spooktacular! :)

This contest will be finished 1hr from now, but I won't be able to announce the winners for another 5hrs from now for sure, it might even be 10hrs depending on how my day goes. Sorry for the delay.

Rob
Old 30th of October 2006 (Mon)   #10
Novaheart

Sorry again for the wait everyone. I was afraid that I would only get a couple of entries for a while there, maybe people were spooked by the topic I guess it was a rather strange topic but anyway here are my choices.

1st - Jeece
I love the way the tree looks like it has bodies rising from it with branches growing from their arms. The figure on the left of the pic looks like a man pointing with really long arms towards the left. On the right it looks like a woman with her arms extended upwards towards the sky.

2nd - TJG
I like the negative effect.

3rd - Edd S
I like the blue glow. It must have been really dark since you left the shutter open for 6 seconds.

Thanks to everyone who entered.
Rob
Old 30th of October 2006 (Mon)   #11
spur

Congrats to the winners. I really liked the shots from all three, but that tree was great.

I wanted to enter my favorite Halloween picture of all time, the only problem was I didn't take it. I know that's just a minor problem but I don't even know who took it. So here it is. I hope it makes you laugh as much as it did me the first time I saw it.

spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of October 2006 (Mon)   #12
Jeece

Woah. Thanks for the 1st place. Topic was a good one in its own right, especially by this time of the year, but there wasn't that much entries... To my surprise.

aLFaDaRK: Very cool "portrait", represents the theme 100%. Excellent technique too!

Congrats to all other finalists and participants, and thanks for making this challenge happen. (that includes Novaheart too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
I love the way the tree looks like it has bodies rising from it with branches growing from their arms. The figure on the left of the pic looks like a man pointing with really long arms towards the left. On the right it looks like a woman with her arms extended upwards towards the sky.
I hadn't noticed those figures you mentioned before... But yeah, I see them now! The only "hidden" character in the tree that I saw was the ghostface on the right branch, above the woman's "elbow".

Here's another shot from the tree, from a different angle and with better lighting, taken a minute after the other. By the size of its base, it was not young when he "died"... but some parts of it are still alive!

I'll come up with a topic for the next challenge before tomorow morning.
Old 30th of October 2006 (Mon)   #13
Stefan A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"

Congratulations to Jeece. I had decided as soon as you put it up that it should be the winner. It's a great shot! I also liked alfadark's shot. Come to think of it, I liked them all - but those are my favorites.

Stefan
40D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com
Stefan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of October 2006 (Mon)   #14
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Congratulations to the winners. Great photos !

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of October 2006 (Mon)   #15
TJG

Thanks Novaheart and Congrats to Jeece and Edd S! This my first time at placing in the top three . I knew that tree was going to be hard to beat.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had a hard time coming up with something worth posting. We seen this house late in the day on Sunday and knew it was the perfect subject.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to the next challange!