Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of January 2007 (Sat)   #1
mbutts

Default Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8

What are the pros and cons of this program, if any. Does it even have a slide show? What would be considered the best photo program in general ?

20D w/18-55, 24-70 L ,100-400 L,50 1.8, 70-300 IS, Sigma 105 macro 580EX Speedlite
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ping-pong101/
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of January 2007 (Sat)   #2
kevin_c
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8

Most people round here would say the best was Photoshop CS2, It's more or less the industry 'standard' - a lot of people use Photoshop Elements, a slightly cut-down version of the full package, but much cheaper.

I should imagine PSP 8 would be very capable of most things you would need to do to an image, I did have it but haven't used it for a few years though so can't remember much since going over to Photoshop.

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L
kevin_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2007 (Sat)   #3
nwa2

If I was considering PSP I would go for PSP X latest version, I have used it a lot and has 95% of the functionality of CS" - albeit not as fast - but at less than 20% of the price.

Only reason I could think of for using PSP8 is that it may not need to be registered to work.

I use CS2 mainly now but I still dip into my copy of PSPX once in a while, it has very quick creative filters.

Neil ...
nwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of January 2007 (Sat)   #4
peacock

I used psp8 until upgrading to 10 and 10 runs much faster.
Old 6th of January 2007 (Sat)   #5
Stefan A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"

Quote:
If I was considering PSP I would go for PSP X latest version,
Actually, PSP XI is the latest version (or maybe they just call it 11) But X is old now. Still, it works fine for me.

Stefan
40D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com
Stefan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of January 2007 (Sun)   #6
chris clements

I don't think PSP8 has a slide show option (* I can't see why any serious image manip program should have this?)
If you can get a boxed copy PSP 8 or 9 you'll get a comprehensive manual. Since Corel took over (X and XI) the manual is very dumbed-down - you'd never know it was a Photoshop rival. For instance, there's no references to the extensive web tools (image slicing, rollover creation).

But at least the web tools are still there in PSPX and XI if you look for them - have you noticed that the software houses NEVER advertize what's been REMOVED when they 'update' their programs? For instance, was anyone aware that Elements 5 has been stripped of all calendar templates (included in Elements 3 and 4)?
chris clements is offline   Reply With Quote