FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 09 Feb 2007 (Friday) 20:42   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

makphoto
Joined Feb 2007
171 posts
Rochester, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok, this is the first time I've every played with a RAW and the first time I've experimented with shadows taking over a subject. Again, my poor dog is all I have to experiment with right now. You can even tell by the picture he looks upset at me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Feb 09, 2007 20:42:23

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
makphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2007
171 posts
Rochester, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

another RAW and shadow play

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #2, Feb 09, 2007 21:30:08

milleker
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
1,851 posts
Baltimore, Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

Welcome to RAW, hope you keep with it! Sharp images, good color and a cute dog but I'm not too crazy about them.

Post #3, Feb 10, 2007 16:11:49

---John Milleker Jr.--
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯​¯¯
Web Links: My Homepageexternal link
Photography Weblogexternal linkFlickrexternal linkMaryland POTN Meetup Threadexternal linkDonate to POTN!external linkhttp://www.johnmilleke​r.com/weblogexternal link

4nR
Joined Feb 2005
689 posts
A2, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm not sure I follow your use of shadows. are you just adjusting the raw photo itself, or using post processing to 'draw' in shadows (ie in photoshop). I dont really see what effect you are trying for in either photo. Both seem to convey a sort of voyeuristic and amateur-look, which can work in certain situations if done on 'purpose'.

Post #4, Feb 10, 2007 16:13:50

A560 will have to do... for now :confused:

Hellashot
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
4,617 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I see picture 1 being over saturated. #2 has better color/contrast.

Post #5, Feb 10, 2007 18:45:56

5D, Drebel, EOS-3, K1000
lenses from 12mm-500mm

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
makphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2007
171 posts
Rochester, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks for the feed back. yes, very ameteur I know. These were actually the very first photos I took with my new Canon XT (always used point and shoot before)

As for "what I was trying to do" - I really couldn't say. They were very badly taken pictures as far as clarity and the background. There was a lot of shadows in the original photo so I thought I would just work with it. Some of my favorite photos are where there's mostly dark and then there's this intense object with light. Obviously it didn't really work for me here - but that's what I saw in my head. Perhaps I should find the un-touched RAW photos and post them untouched. Then maybe you guys could see what I was working with and maybe going after.

Obviously I'm very new at this, but I do appreciate the feed back and any input that will help the learning.

Post #6, Feb 11, 2007 02:10:09

birdsnapper
Joined Jan 2007
79 posts
Cheshire, England
[MORE/SHARE]

You'd find it helpful to try to visualise the end image, but I think that it's great that you're thinking of trying to get something different. Keep at it, and one day it'll all come together.

Post #7, Feb 11, 2007 11:48:24

LIST NEARBY THREADS
539 views & 0 likes for this thread
First RAW
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES