Thread started 12 May 2007 (Saturday) 20:00   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bwolford
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
3,705 posts
Tampa, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Here are some pics from the Junior C meet.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://thewolfords.com ...Small/images/BAW_66​39.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://thewolfords.com ...Small/images/BAW_67​14.jpgexternal link

http://thewolfords.com ...Small/images/BAW_67​24.jpgexternal link

http://thewolfords.com ...Small/images/BAW_67​83.jpgexternal link

http://thewolfords.com ...Small/images/BAW_68​67.jpgexternal link

http://thewolfords.com ...Small/images/BAW_66​46.jpgexternal link

The entire series is can be found hereexternal link.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Post #1, May 12, 2007 20:00:43

Brice
Gear List
Sample Galleryexternal linkhttp://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofsexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
GBRandy
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
1,934 posts
Green Bay, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

:):)
Sweet....very nice....number 4....very very nice.

Seems you kinda know what you're doing......ISO? Lens & other details you care to share?

Post #2, May 12, 2007 20:05:21

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
3,705 posts
Tampa, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Randy your tips helped a great deal...

All shot ISO 1600, 1/640, F4. Camera on manual mode. 1DMarkIIN with 70-200L F2.8 IS USM set to IS mode 2. Most shot at 70MM, but some shot at 200MM. I was lucky that the venue had some very good lighting for a gym meet.

I did try running these through DPP for sharpening and noise reduction, but I got better results with PS CS2 and the Neat Image plug in. Created a simple action that called up Neat Image and then Unsharp Mask, which I manually adjusted. I will say that sharpening did introduce artifacts, especially in dark areas, but it was better than before the noise reduction, so I'll live with it.

Most images required some levels adjustment.

The 1DMark IIN was very noisy (but a lot less than my 300D) espeically on the black background so the noise reduction and levels adjustment was a must.

Took about 440 images and I'd say I'm getting a 15-20% keeper rate. Most were taken in continuous mode so keeping 1 or 2 out of 10 or so of each burst is pretty good in my book.

I did use AI-Servo for all floor and bars shots. Beam and vault shot with One Shot focus. I've finally figured out that AI-servo is going to help with images moving foreground to background or vice versa, but not worth a darn for side to side images.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, let me know.

Post #3, May 12, 2007 20:25:05 as a reply to GBRandy's post 19 minutes earlier.

Brice
Gear List

alMout
Joined Apr 2007
63 posts
Georgetown, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Curious as to why you are shooting at F4 if your lens will open to f2.8? Opening another stop will put twice the amount of light on the sensor and certainly help reduce the noise. You could then shoot at ISO800 and get the same shudder speed.

Post #4, May 14, 2007 10:24:49

Alex

40D, Rebel XT 350D, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Tamron 70-300, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2, 70-200 f/4L, 28-135 IS

GBRandy
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
1,934 posts
Green Bay, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

alMout wrote in post #3203548external link
Curious as to why you are shooting at F4 if your lens will open to f2.8? Opening another stop will put twice the amount of light on the sensor and certainly help reduce the noise. You could then shoot at ISO800 and get the same shudder speed.

I agree....why did you run with f4? I shoot all my lenses wide open at the gymnastics events...but most are in a dungeon lit by a candle.

Post #5, May 14, 2007 10:46:00

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
fugfuggy
Joined Oct 2006
246 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Brice,

I went through our original thread yesterday and I have to say that your improvement in such a short time is astounding! This gallery is full of impressive images that are tack sharp, exposed well and with good composition. That new camera of yours is really paying off.

How did your daughter do? She looks very talented.

Post #6, May 14, 2007 11:10:35 as a reply to GBRandy's post 24 minutes earlier.

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
3,705 posts
Tampa, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I was using F4 because I wanted to maximize DOF. I've found that I'm still struggling with getting focus spot on and getting better DOF helps solve that problem. I could have lowered ISO to address noise, but loose my DOF. But I guess you knew that. :D

I had 230 foot candles of light here so I was actually pretty well off from a lighting point of view. I can link you to the thread that explains a foot candle if you want it. Let's just say it translates to pretty good lighting for a gymnasium. To the naked eye it was marginally noticable, but my camera loved the extra light.

The F stop was the best crutch I had for my personal focusing issues. I relied on Neat Image to clean up the noise. Which introduced softness.

Fugfuggy, the camera certainly increases my opportunity for better images. I was able to walk 180 degrees in this venue to move just about anywhere I wanted which certainly helped with positioning. I also took your and others great advice and processed the images with faces before my favorite action shots. My hit rate is definitely up and I'd say the other thread paid off for me. I'd say 40/30/30 Lighting / Advice from the other thread / new camera contributing to the images.

2, 3, 4, 5 are my daughter. She was in first place AA by a high margin going into her final event - beam. Scoring season best or near season best on everything. Can you guess what happened next? She fell off the beam once and in doing so, fell into 9th place. If she hadn't fallen, she would have taken first soundly AND been AA champ. UGH. A friend of our's 5 year old daughter asked why she doesn't get a second chance like my daddy does when he bowls... too funny. She's been scoring well all season and been 1 or 2 all season and 1 fall sums up the season. We're pretty darned proud of her.

The beam went something like this: First girl in rotation did fine. Second wobbled like a weeble during her entire routine, third did likewise, then the girl before my daughter has a complete meltdown. Falls 2 times and doesn't dismount - she just hops off the end of the beam and starts crying - loudly. Of course all th rest of the girls to look at the commotion. My daughter falls, next girl falls, and last has her worst performance of the season. I swear there it's mass hypnosis - one falls or wobbles they all fall or wobble. :confused:

More than you wanted to know!:rolleyes:

Post #7, May 14, 2007 15:00:29 as a reply to fugfuggy's post 3 hours earlier.

Brice
Gear List

fugfuggy
Joined Oct 2006
246 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Brice,

Ahh, this was the "candle light" gym. Very nice!

The beam does have a way to ruin an otherwise good day. My daughter would have placed first on beam if not for a single fall, and not even on a skill. She still scored 9.25 and ended up fourth instead of the 9.75 that she would have gotten otherwise. If she did not fall she would have been a full three points higher than the nearest score.

Sounds like your girl placed in all four events but I know it is all about the all around. Too bad for her. I hope she took it well. As I mentioned before, my little monkey will never threaten the AA score anytime in the near future. Bars are her nemisis at the moment.

I got bored and took the camera for a spin this weekend at practice. Really hard to shoot in that gym but here is one of my fav's.

IMAGE: http://images104.fotki.com/v434/photos/1/1034366/4933849/DSC_0044-vi.jpg

The rest are hereexternal link

Our next meet is June 3rd. I don't know what I am jonesing for more, gymnastics or college football!

Post #8, May 14, 2007 15:29:36

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
3,705 posts
Tampa, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Those are some fun pictures! I hear you about football. Our season is over until next January. I need something else to shoot in the mean time. :D

I just realized the title should be Eastern championships not Easter championships, but I can't change it...

She placed in everything except beam so it was a very good meet. She took it quite well. She knew she could have nailed it and it's part of the sport. She was actually relieved the meet and the season were done. She lives to train, not to compete.

I will definitely have to hit the gym for some interim fixes. I did write the security and athletic departments and my alma mater and found I can take any lens or camera I'd like into the football games. My son is going in as a freshman so we should see 3-4 games this year... Woo Hoo! My 200mm is going to the game with me. It still won't be enough, but I'll make do.

Post #9, May 14, 2007 21:12:53 as a reply to fugfuggy's post 5 hours earlier.

Brice
Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
Level 9 Easter Championships - Gymnastics
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES