Thread started 30 Nov 2004 (Tuesday) 13:55   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

pradeep1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
2,320 posts
Georgia, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.photo.net ...to_id=2917902&s​ize=lgexternal link
HTTP response: 503

I posted this on the share forum, but thought I could use some critical evaluations of how to make this image better. Any and all comments appreciated. The colors are real, taken at Niagara Falls on the Canadian Side.

You can see more details about this photo here: http://www.photo.net ...db/photo?photo_id=2​917902external link

Thanks,

Post #1, Nov 30, 2004 13:55:53

Please view my portfolioexternal link.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
izzypizzy
Joined Sep 2004
227 posts
L.A, California
[MORE/SHARE]

very cool pic.. it's enjoyable to look at :D

*edit* spelling..

I was so impressed with this pic, I showed it to my dad, he couldn't believe the colors were real!

Post #2, Nov 30, 2004 15:04:24

blinking8s
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2004
1,618 posts
w.kentucky
[MORE/SHARE]

wicked

Post #3, Nov 30, 2004 16:10:16

blinking8s.comexternal link | pixelpost photoblog applicationexternal link

Pekka
El General Moderator
Joined Mar 2001
15,688 posts
Hellsinki, Finland
[MORE/SHARE]

If you wanted to ask how to make that image better then I say do not do anything. If you asked how to take the same image better again in same location the I say shoot a lot and experiment - the scene can be really seen on the spot and it's quite impossible to say anything without being there (or seeing more of it).

Beautiful photo!

Post #4, Nov 30, 2004 16:34:33

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
Suggested reading:
AMASS version 1.1 is coming soon! CHANGELOG HERE.
ADDING IMAGES TO GALLERY: IF YOUR GEAR/EXIF IS NOT THERE?

pradeep1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
2,320 posts
Georgia, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Pekka wrote:
If you wanted to ask how to make that image better then I say do not do anything. If you asked how to take the same image better again in same location the I say shoot a lot and experiment - the scene can be really seen on the spot and it's quite impossible to say anything without being there (or seeing more of it).

Beautiful photo!

Thanks Pekka for your input. I was thinking more along the lines of cropping the picture. I guess the asking for critique is unfair. I've got a ton of shots I took at the location so I can make comparisons. As for you guys, you only have this one shot to go by.

In any case, let me rephrase my question(s). I want critical evaluation of the following:

1. Sharpness - Is the foreground sharp enough?
2. Grain/Noise - Is too much visible, should I remove more, but lose detail? How should I go about doing this without losing detail/sharpness in the tree branches?
3. Cropping - Is the cropping of the tree branch okay, or should I crop more?

Thanks,

Pradeep

Post #5, Nov 30, 2004 18:46:15

Please view my portfolioexternal link.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
Joined Jun 2003
6,383 posts
Trantor
[MORE/SHARE]

pradeep1 wrote:
Pekka wrote:
Beautiful photo!

Thanks Pekka for your input. I was thinking more along the lines of cropping the picture. I guess the asking for critique is unfair. I've got a ton of shots I took at the location so I can make comparisons. As for you guys, you only have this one shot to go by.

In any case, let me rephrase my question(s). I want critical evaluation of the following:

1. Sharpness - Is the foreground sharp enough?
2. Grain/Noise - Is too much visible, should I remove more, but lose detail? How should I go about doing this without losing detail/sharpness in the tree branches?
3. Cropping - Is the cropping of the tree branch okay, or should I crop more?

Thanks,

Pradeep

If I may,

1) Sharpness seems to be fine.
2) Grain seems to be fine.

1&2) These could both be best evaluated if you were to post a 100% crop of an area in the forground which has noise in it. It is hard to theorize on either of these with a minified image.

3) PERSONALLY, I would like to see a wider crop. I like the tree and would like to see the other edge of the trunk, not just the edge showing. Also, in this shot, it looks like we see the top of the falls, but just not quite. I would also like to see the upper surface of the falls, to give a more complete context for where it was shot.

THAT BEING SAID - this is still a stunning shot. Well done.

Rad

Post #6, Nov 30, 2004 20:02:12

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Colored Falls - Critiques Wanted
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES