Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of March 2005 (Mon)   #1
Dubsta

Default Wedding equipment.

What is the ideal gear for doing weddings? I have been told I should start doing them, and people keep pressuring me...

I now own the 300D, the 50mm 1.8 and the kit lens - 18-55?

I'm picking up the 580 flash...and have been told the 17-85 lens would be the best...

What are your opinions? Any helpful information would be great...hopefully get a few gigs then get into the 1D!
Dubsta is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of March 2005 (Mon)   #2
Maureen Souza
Ms. Moderator

Default Re: Wedding equipment.

I'm using the Tamron 28-75/2.8, the 50mm/1.4 and the 75-300 mm, plus whatever I can pilfer off my hubby's stash.

5DIII x2
Canon Lenses:
50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0,
300/f4, 24-70!
Pro1
Maureen Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of March 2005 (Mon)   #3
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Wedding equipment.

You can do the job with that camera. I recommend a few things.

First, you want an external -EX flash unit. Something like 580EX, 550EX, 420EX, or something completely compatible. The flash unit should be on a flash bracket, which is basically a handle to hold both the camera and the flash. You'll need the correct off-camera shoe cord to connect the camera to the flash.

Lenses? In general, you'll use a lens with an effective focal length of 50-75mm (figure in the 1.6 factor). For large family group shots, you'll need something wider than that, like 28mm. I had to shoot some really large groups at a wedding, and I had to go to 20mm for that, so you have to find out in advance how large the groups will be.

Once in a while, I will use a long lens for candid shots at the wedding reception. So, something more like 150-200mm works there.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member