FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 12 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 22:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Thameth
Joined Jul 2006
429 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

One of the things I always hear from pro photographers is that one of the best ways to learn how to shoot great photographs is to look at and study great photography (one of the reasons we share our photography here with each other). That and shoot, shoot, shoot.....

I thought this would be a good spin off of the Automotive Rig thread for people interested to post pro rig shots they find so we can review them, learn technique, rig composition, and possibly figure out how the more professional rigs are possibly built.

Here are some recent shots I noticed from the Ford Taurus SHO Media package:

http://josephregner.sm​ugmug.com/photos/47269​3891_kyxpP-L.jpgexternal link

I was VERY interested in this shot because it seems to be one of the first Rig Shots I've ever noticed using strobes:

http://www.josephregne​r.com/photos/472693940​_daiHX-L.jpgexternal link

Here are some great Ford Media rig shot photo's of the new 2010 Mustang ShelbyGT released a while back:

http://www.josephregne​r.com/photos/472694079​_aZJhV-L.jpgexternal link

http://www.josephregne​r.com/photos/472694118​_FGUL3-L.jpgexternal link

http://www.josephregne​r.com/photos/472694517​_jbABu-L.jpgexternal link

And here are some very artistic rig shots from the original Ford Taurus launch. I'm guessing by the look of some of these shots they were practically studio shots out on the street. Big time lighting with huge screens and such, beautiful stuff:

http://www.josephregne​r.com/photos/472694780​_4as8f-L.jpgexternal link

http://www.josephregne​r.com/photos/472694656​_vXGEz-L.jpgexternal link

http://www.josephregne​r.com/photos/472694731​_PyU8a-L.jpgexternal link

I hope this is ok by the forum rules, I think this can be a great place to learn and take our photography to the next level.

So post away any great rig shots you find.

Here is a gallery I'll be keeping of Rig shots I find as I go along and slowly add to the library. There are already some in there that I couldn't post due to the 8 image limit:

http://****/jntTexternal link

Remember none of the photo's posted above are my photo's, they are public media photographs provided by Ford.

Post #1, Feb 12, 2009 22:15:52

www.JosephRegner.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
canonnoob
Ignored by the TF and i am soo confused
Joined Aug 2008
8,483 posts
Springfield, MO
[MORE/SHARE]

those last ones arent shots... these are all designed... BTW you have to post them as links since they are not yours..

Post #2, Feb 12, 2009 22:18:20

Dave W.- "I don't want to be famous, I just want to make great photographs"
Gear
Springfield, Mo Sports Photographerexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net .../davidwelker.zenfol​io.com Model Mayhemexternal link
SportsShooterexternal link
Selling Gear: 1D mk II N

Thameth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2006
429 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

canonnoob wrote in post #7314970external link
those last ones arent shots... these are all designed... BTW you have to post them as links since they are not yours..

Are you trying to say 3D? I'm pretty sure they're not renderings, those are photographs. More than likely heavily edited.

Post #3, Feb 12, 2009 22:19:25

www.JosephRegner.comexternal link

canonnoob
Ignored by the TF and i am soo confused
Joined Aug 2008
8,483 posts
Springfield, MO
[MORE/SHARE]

Thameth wrote in post #7314972external link
Are you trying to say 3D? I'm pretty sure they're not renderings, those are photographs. More than likely heavily edited.

yup... thats exactly what i ment..

Post #4, Feb 12, 2009 22:20:29

Dave W.- "I don't want to be famous, I just want to make great photographs"
Gear
Springfield, Mo Sports Photographerexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net .../davidwelker.zenfol​io.com Model Mayhemexternal link
SportsShooterexternal link
Selling Gear: 1D mk II N

JDMist3hFastar
Joined May 2007
565 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I like this thread

Post #5, Feb 12, 2009 22:46:59

5DII, 40D & XTi: 70-200 2.8L IS MKI, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Canon 17-40 F4L, 50 1.8, 580 EX II, and battery grips.
http://www.naitovephot​o.comexternal link and http://flickr.com/phot​os/coopernaitoveexternal link
Calibrated with Spyder2Pro

sponsored links
MLunn
Joined Nov 2008
33 posts
Leicestershire
[MORE/SHARE]

Some nice shots put Ford probably isnt the best company to use as an example, over the last year a lot of their european and some US adverts have been digitally rendered using ARTVPS. It is ultra-realistic often some of their more unique and interesting shots are renders not physical cars.

Post #6, Feb 13, 2009 02:25:28 as a reply to JDMist3hFastar's post 3 hours earlier.

www.flickr.com/people/​mlunnphotographyexternal link

EOS 40D Canon17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di Macro
Manfrotto 055XB PRO + 804RC2

sandro9mm
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,718 posts
Italy, Milan
[MORE/SHARE]

pretty impressive, I still need to get the rolling rig equipment, anyone telling me whre I can buy the pole?

I do it old style, from car to car, or just panning, which doesn't give me this amazing results :(

anyone share light how the lights are done?

Post #7, Feb 13, 2009 03:09:57

Photography Tipsexternal link - Learn photography now!
Famous photographersexternal link - Video Interviews, photos, biography
My gearexternal link

john ­ owen
Joined Jan 2009
280 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I put money on those all being CGI

If this is a thread to learn from then I think you need to be posting images that are your own, or that you were involved in, so that you can explain your process and how you got the final shot

Post #8, Feb 13, 2009 03:26:00 as a reply to sandro9mm's post 16 minutes earlier.

Find me....
www.flickr.com/photos/​51975854@N00/external link
www.facebook.com/johno​wenphotographyexternal link
www.johnowencommercial​photography.co.ukexternal link
www.johnowenphotograph​y.co.ukexternal link

Scott-JL
Joined May 2005
246 posts
Berkshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Photoshoppery I say!!!!

Here is why....

Shot 2 - Dark shadow to the left of the car, so the light source is on the right of the frame... but then how is it that the highlights are on the radiator grill, and along what should be the dark side of the car? The wheels are really shiny too... but if fill flash was used there, then the highlights on the paintwork have been edited out. The light sources just seem to be all over the place... it just doesn't make sense.

The time, cost, and effort to set up a shot using probably 5 or 6 strobes on a moving target is just far too much compared to getting a retoucher to composite a couple of pictures, or just retouch a picture that has been taken badly or not with the desired effect.

I can't remember who posted it up before, but there was a video of someone editing Porsche photos for a website, and the transformation was huuuuuuuuuuge!! Just goes to show that you can do almost anything in Photoshop.

Post #9, Feb 13, 2009 05:54:27 as a reply to john owen's post 2 hours earlier.

Scott

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

Detroit is a HUGE photoshop town. They have been shooting cars in studios and placing them on backgrounds for a LONG time. Look close at some and you will see cars in sand...... but no tire tracks, or sand on the tires. Or in grass, but no grass has been flattened by 4000 pounds of car. I have no doubt that these are static shots with the motion added later.

Post #10, Feb 13, 2009 07:40:45

I started a new showcase site for photographers and models. E-Mag coming soon! Please considder submitting!www.thelatentpixel.comexternal link

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,108 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Remember none of the photo's posted above are my photo's, they are public media photographs provided by Ford.

I'm removing the image tags. If you want to show images that you haven't personally shot, or other material, just post a link to it as there are © issues?
IMAGE POSTING RULES

Good idea for a thread, though. Put a link in here:
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

Photoshoppery I say!!!!... The time, cost, and effort to set up a shot using probably 5 or 6 strobes on a moving target...

It's not so much the cost. 40 years ago we were getting $1,000 per 8X10" transparency + expenses. It was about getting the cars in the best light before the agency guys stripped them & made changes to suit their "vision". (And add to their billing.) :D
So I don't feel at all bad PSing my images on my $500 computer.

Post #11, Feb 13, 2009 08:22:49

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
Scott-JL
Joined May 2005
246 posts
Berkshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

PhotosGuy wrote in post #7316962external link
It's not so much the cost. 40 years ago we were getting $1,000 per 8X10" transparency + expenses. It was about getting the cars in the best light before the agency guys stripped them & made changes to suit their "vision". (And add to their billing.) :D
So I don't feel at all bad PSing my images on my $500 computer.

In terms of cost, I meant in order to get that picture working with strobes. How many attempts would it take to get that kind of picture with a moving subject, even at a slow speed? I could spend days there (and still come away with rubbish) :lol:

For me, I want to see a good picture with minimal post-processing work. From that video link I mentioned about the Porsches, the basics of Photography just weren't there - wrong white balance, bad lighting position, etc. Although I appreciate Photoshop as a tool, and the power it has, I believe in a better photo to begin with. There are people who post automotive work on here which impresses me more than the glossy brochures. Advertising is evil :(

Post #12, Feb 13, 2009 11:45:01

Scott

john ­ owen
Joined Jan 2009
280 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Scott-JL wrote in post #7318191external link
In terms of cost, I meant in order to get that picture working with strobes. How many attempts would it take to get that kind of picture with a moving subject, even at a slow speed? I could spend days there (and still come away with rubbish) :lol:

For me, I want to see a good picture with minimal post-processing work. From that video link I mentioned about the Porsches, the basics of Photography just weren't there - wrong white balance, bad lighting position, etc. Although I appreciate Photoshop as a tool, and the power it has, I believe in a better photo to begin with. There are people who post automotive work on here which impresses me more than the glossy brochures. Advertising is evil :(

I wouldn't disagree that advertising is evil but this 'get it right in camera' mantra I see thrown about just doesn't stack up any more

It easier and good for you to learn how to get some stuff done correctly on the camera but is often quicker and produces a better shot when digital photography is pushed post process

Get with the program, were in the digital age and back in the day the lab boys would doge and burn you prints

Even with a tranny I've retouched images that have been printed large - retouching with old school airbrush and then reshooting the neg when all the elements were together

Advertising is evil it distorts our views of our self image but it is here

Post #13, Feb 13, 2009 14:11:43

Find me....
www.flickr.com/photos/​51975854@N00/external link
www.facebook.com/johno​wenphotographyexternal link
www.johnowencommercial​photography.co.ukexternal link
www.johnowenphotograph​y.co.ukexternal link

couleur
Joined Oct 2008
222 posts
KUL/MEL
[MORE/SHARE]

yes, I always study from these photographers. But you must know, sometimes it is out of our reach. Like the rigs they used. Commercial rigs, which we can't afford to buy or rent... and assistants, producers, location managers and so on. But you can always be one step behind them. If you really want to be like them then you have yo go commercial.

Post #14, Feb 14, 2009 04:56:01 as a reply to post 7322674

http://couleur.deviant​art.comexternal link
I am new on flickrexternal link!

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

Thameth wrote in post #7322674external link
Hell Ford wants them posted in as many places as possible. ....

Not sure how true that is... There was talk last summer that they were going to go after anybody who posted a picture of Ford cars and trucks on the internet. Yes that included images on Cardomain.com and other sites where people took pictures of their own cars and posted it.

Post #15, Feb 14, 2009 16:36:22

I started a new showcase site for photographers and models. E-Mag coming soon! Please considder submitting!www.thelatentpixel.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pro Automotive Rig Shot post, breakdown, and review thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES