Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Transportation Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of February 2009 (Thu)   #1
Thameth

Default Pro Automotive Rig Shot post, breakdown, and review thread

One of the things I always hear from pro photographers is that one of the best ways to learn how to shoot great photographs is to look at and study great photography (one of the reasons we share our photography here with each other). That and shoot, shoot, shoot.....

I thought this would be a good spin off of the Automotive Rig thread for people interested to post pro rig shots they find so we can review them, learn technique, rig composition, and possibly figure out how the more professional rigs are possibly built.

Here are some recent shots I noticed from the Ford Taurus SHO Media package:

http://josephregner.smugmug.com/phot...91_kyxpP-L.jpg

I was VERY interested in this shot because it seems to be one of the first Rig Shots I've ever noticed using strobes:

http://www.josephregner.com/photos/4...40_daiHX-L.jpg

Here are some great Ford Media rig shot photo's of the new 2010 Mustang ShelbyGT released a while back:

http://www.josephregner.com/photos/4...79_aZJhV-L.jpg

http://www.josephregner.com/photos/4...18_FGUL3-L.jpg

http://www.josephregner.com/photos/4...17_jbABu-L.jpg

And here are some very artistic rig shots from the original Ford Taurus launch. I'm guessing by the look of some of these shots they were practically studio shots out on the street. Big time lighting with huge screens and such, beautiful stuff:

http://www.josephregner.com/photos/4...80_4as8f-L.jpg

http://www.josephregner.com/photos/4...56_vXGEz-L.jpg

http://www.josephregner.com/photos/4...31_PyU8a-L.jpg

I hope this is ok by the forum rules, I think this can be a great place to learn and take our photography to the next level.

So post away any great rig shots you find.

Here is a gallery I'll be keeping of Rig shots I find as I go along and slowly add to the library. There are already some in there that I couldn't post due to the 8 image limit:

http://******/jntT

Remember none of the photo's posted above are my photo's, they are public media photographs provided by Ford.

Last edited by PhotosGuy : 13th of February 2009 (Fri) at 08:12.
Thameth is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of February 2009 (Thu)   #2
canonnoob
Ignored by the TF and i am soo confused

Default Re: Pro Automotive Rig Shot post, breakdown, and review thread

those last ones arent shots... these are all designed... BTW you have to post them as links since they are not yours..
Model Mayhem
SportsShooter
Selling Gear: 1D mk II N
canonnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2009 (Thu)   #3
Thameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonnoob View Post
those last ones arent shots... these are all designed... BTW you have to post them as links since they are not yours..
Are you trying to say 3D? I'm pretty sure they're not renderings, those are photographs. More than likely heavily edited.
Old 12th of February 2009 (Thu)   #4
canonnoob
Ignored by the TF and i am soo confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thameth View Post
Are you trying to say 3D? I'm pretty sure they're not renderings, those are photographs. More than likely heavily edited.
yup... thats exactly what i ment..
Model Mayhem
SportsShooter
Selling Gear: 1D mk II N
canonnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of February 2009 (Thu)   #5
JDMist3hFastar

I like this thread
JDMist3hFastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #6
MLunn

Some nice shots put Ford probably isnt the best company to use as an example, over the last year a lot of their european and some US adverts have been digitally rendered using ARTVPS. It is ultra-realistic often some of their more unique and interesting shots are renders not physical cars.

EOS 40D Canon17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di Macro
Manfrotto 055XB PRO + 804RC2
MLunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #7
sandro9mm

pretty impressive, I still need to get the rolling rig equipment, anyone telling me whre I can buy the pole?

I do it old style, from car to car, or just panning, which doesn't give me this amazing results

anyone share light how the lights are done?
sandro9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #8
john owen

I put money on those all being CGI

If this is a thread to learn from then I think you need to be posting images that are your own, or that you were involved in, so that you can explain your process and how you got the final shot
john owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #9
Scott-JL

Photoshoppery I say!!!!

Here is why....

Shot 2 - Dark shadow to the left of the car, so the light source is on the right of the frame... but then how is it that the highlights are on the radiator grill, and along what should be the dark side of the car? The wheels are really shiny too... but if fill flash was used there, then the highlights on the paintwork have been edited out. The light sources just seem to be all over the place... it just doesn't make sense.

The time, cost, and effort to set up a shot using probably 5 or 6 strobes on a moving target is just far too much compared to getting a retoucher to composite a couple of pictures, or just retouch a picture that has been taken badly or not with the desired effect.

I can't remember who posted it up before, but there was a video of someone editing Porsche photos for a website, and the transformation was huuuuuuuuuuge!! Just goes to show that you can do almost anything in Photoshop.
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #10
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

Detroit is a HUGE photoshop town. They have been shooting cars in studios and placing them on backgrounds for a LONG time. Look close at some and you will see cars in sand...... but no tire tracks, or sand on the tires. Or in grass, but no grass has been flattened by 4000 pounds of car. I have no doubt that these are static shots with the motion added later.
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #11
PhotosGuy

Quote:
Remember none of the photo's posted above are my photo's, they are public media photographs provided by Ford.
I'm removing the image tags. If you want to show images that you haven't personally shot, or other material, just post a link to it as there are issues?
IMAGE POSTING RULES

Good idea for a thread, though. Put a link in here:
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

Quote:
Photoshoppery I say!!!!... The time, cost, and effort to set up a shot using probably 5 or 6 strobes on a moving target...
It's not so much the cost. 40 years ago we were getting $1,000 per 8X10" transparency + expenses. It was about getting the cars in the best light before the agency guys stripped them & made changes to suit their "vision". (And add to their billing.)
So I don't feel at all bad PSing my images on my $500 computer.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #12
Scott-JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
It's not so much the cost. 40 years ago we were getting $1,000 per 8X10" transparency + expenses. It was about getting the cars in the best light before the agency guys stripped them & made changes to suit their "vision". (And add to their billing.)
So I don't feel at all bad PSing my images on my $500 computer.
In terms of cost, I meant in order to get that picture working with strobes. How many attempts would it take to get that kind of picture with a moving subject, even at a slow speed? I could spend days there (and still come away with rubbish)

For me, I want to see a good picture with minimal post-processing work. From that video link I mentioned about the Porsches, the basics of Photography just weren't there - wrong white balance, bad lighting position, etc. Although I appreciate Photoshop as a tool, and the power it has, I believe in a better photo to begin with. There are people who post automotive work on here which impresses me more than the glossy brochures. Advertising is evil
Old 13th of February 2009 (Fri)   #13
john owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-JL View Post
In terms of cost, I meant in order to get that picture working with strobes. How many attempts would it take to get that kind of picture with a moving subject, even at a slow speed? I could spend days there (and still come away with rubbish)

For me, I want to see a good picture with minimal post-processing work. From that video link I mentioned about the Porsches, the basics of Photography just weren't there - wrong white balance, bad lighting position, etc. Although I appreciate Photoshop as a tool, and the power it has, I believe in a better photo to begin with. There are people who post automotive work on here which impresses me more than the glossy brochures. Advertising is evil
I wouldn't disagree that advertising is evil but this 'get it right in camera' mantra I see thrown about just doesn't stack up any more

It easier and good for you to learn how to get some stuff done correctly on the camera but is often quicker and produces a better shot when digital photography is pushed post process

Get with the program, were in the digital age and back in the day the lab boys would doge and burn you prints

Even with a tranny I've retouched images that have been printed large - retouching with old school airbrush and then reshooting the neg when all the elements were together

Advertising is evil it distorts our views of our self image but it is here
Old 16th of February 2009 (Mon)   #14
Scott-JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by john owen View Post
I wouldn't disagree that advertising is evil but this 'get it right in camera' mantra I see thrown about just doesn't stack up any more

It easier and good for you to learn how to get some stuff done correctly on the camera but is often quicker and produces a better shot when digital photography is pushed post process

Get with the program, were in the digital age and back in the day the lab boys would doge and burn you prints

Even with a tranny I've retouched images that have been printed large - retouching with old school airbrush and then reshooting the neg when all the elements were together

Advertising is evil it distorts our views of our self image but it is here
The 'advertising is evil' comment was meant as tongue-in-cheek.

However, you've obviously read my post and thought that I think post-processing is evil, which I quite frankly don't. I use post-processing as much as the next person, maybe even more - when it needs to be done. My post was aimed at using post processing to cover up bad photography. The mantra of 'getting it right in the camera' would make more sense if you saw the video I mentioned regarding the Porsche advertising (http://www.kontain.com/fi/#entries/entry/936) - the point of people using post-processing nowadays to compensate for taking poor quality images - as given in example before, wrong WB and bad light source positioning. I'm not talking about having a blemish or wrinkle here or there that needs to be removed, nor about cloning out a boom that accidentally poked into frame.

Just because workflows can be sped up by using digital techniques which weren't possible so quickly in the past, does that mean people should take shortcuts and create poor quality work initially, only to 'shop it from ugly duckling to a swan? If we are talking about professional work, then shouldn't every stage of the creation of that work be professional? In my opinion, that means working on the basis of a good picture. Of course, people will argue that "as long as the final product is professional, what does it matter?", but I'm thinking of the overall process from a photographic point of view.
Old 18th of February 2009 (Wed)   #15
john owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-JL View Post
The 'advertising is evil' comment was meant as tongue-in-cheek.

However, you've obviously read my post and thought that I think post-processing is evil, which I quite frankly don't. I use post-processing as much as the next person, maybe even more - when it needs to be done. My post was aimed at using post processing to cover up bad photography. The mantra of 'getting it right in the camera' would make more sense if you saw the video I mentioned regarding the Porsche advertising (http://www.kontain.com/fi/#entries/entry/936) - the point of people using post-processing nowadays to compensate for taking poor quality images - as given in example before, wrong WB and bad light source positioning. I'm not talking about having a blemish or wrinkle here or there that needs to be removed, nor about cloning out a boom that accidentally poked into frame.

Just because workflows can be sped up by using digital techniques which weren't possible so quickly in the past, does that mean people should take shortcuts and create poor quality work initially, only to 'shop it from ugly duckling to a swan? If we are talking about professional work, then shouldn't every stage of the creation of that work be professional? In my opinion, that means working on the basis of a good picture. Of course, people will argue that "as long as the final product is professional, what does it matter?", but I'm thinking of the overall process from a photographic point of view.

No it wasn't the post processing i thought you thought was evil more the advertising that drives it and then the need to 'finish' an image on the computer rather than SOC.

I have watched that vid several times, its retouching things you can't always get in camera or the cost to get them is way to much and post will do it better..... and some stuff that could have been done in camera

Also you need to define were the image is in terms of finished picture, most paintings look ****e when they are started and only gain acceptants/approval when completed. At what point are you measuring the picture?

Its still a little ironic given you posted these thoughts on a Rig shot thread were images require a lot of post processing to finish and therefore can't be done SOC.