Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of July 2009 (Fri)   #1
mehran.mo

Default *Post Your Film Shots*

I'm sure that I'm not the only person who still shoots film these days. I know there are other forums that are specific to this but it doesn't mean we can't have our own little thread for film.

So post as many shots as you want and try to tell us the camera and the film used.

Here's a couple of mine for a start.

Both are shot with my Mamiya C330 and Portra 400NC

mehran.mo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of July 2009 (Fri)   #2
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: *Post Your Film Shots*

My stuff is all crud, but I'll play:

1. Took this one about 34 years ago with an Oly OM-1 with 50mm f/1.4. Kodak slide film of some sort (home developed, so probably Ektachrome).

2. This one's from June 1995, again with an OM-1 and 50mm f/1.4. Fuji G-200? film.

3. And a more recent one from 2004. Canon Elan II with 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM using Fuji Reala.

Last edited by Bob_A : 30th of August 2010 (Mon) at 17:17.
Bob_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2009 (Fri)   #3
bjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_A View Post
Disney, Disney, Disney... how can I put this...?
Old 24th of July 2009 (Fri)   #4
MG30D

Below are a few of my Medium Format (120 film) scans.
Gear: Mamiya 645E & Mamiya-Sekor 80mm f/2.8
Scanner: Epson V500

Film: Fujifilm Neopan 400

Film: Fujifilm Provia 400X

Film: Fujifilm Astia 100F

MG30D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2009 (Fri)   #5
MG30D

Below are a few of my 35mm film scans.
Gear: Mamiya 1000MX Auto CS & Mamiya-Sekor 50mm f/1.7 ($40 camera...no, I'm not joking the camera + lens was $40 )
Scanner: Epson V500

Film: Kodak Elite Chrome 100

Film: Ilford Delta 3200

Plus, here's one Polaroid
Gear: Polaroid Autofocus 660SE (The film cost more than the camera )

MG30D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of July 2009 (Sat)   #6
Depth

Once I can get access to a darkroom I'll get some more pics up. Cost to get film developed now is really high.

Leica M6 + Summicron-M 50mm f/2 using Kodak Tri-X.

ACCD

Last edited by Depth : 11th of July 2009 (Sat) at 14:30.
Depth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of July 2009 (Sat)   #7
bjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depth View Post
Once I can get access to a darkroom I'll get some more pics up. Cost to get film developed now is really high now.
Dark bathroom? For my first roll I cut a couple of arm holes in a cardboard box and draped a heavy cloth over it. In a dark bathroom it was fine. I think I'm going to get a change bag though.

These are both TMax 400 taken with a Ricoh XR Solar and the awesome Pentax 50mm,f/1.4. The dog is in D-76, the car is in generic Adorama developer that I'll never use again.

TMax 400 --> D76 --> Canoscan 8800f --> Gimp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pup.jpg (143.5 KB, 866 views)
File Type: jpg car.jpg (148.1 KB, 861 views)
Old 11th of July 2009 (Sat)   #8
AmandaMarie
Cream of the Crop

Does this count? My dad took it of me when I was like 7 learning to drive a dragster with his canon slr my mom bought him in like 1985.

I don't think he realized he had a little girl. NOT A BOY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg racecar.jpg (135.0 KB, 2589 views)
Old 11th of July 2009 (Sat)   #9
Karl Johnston
Rare exception that I didn't say anything stupid"

There's something about film...looks so much "realer" than digital
Karl Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2009 (Tue)   #10
rral22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Johnston View Post
There's something about film...looks so much "realer" than digital
I looked at the whole thread, and I really think there are some good images here, but how can we talk about the "look" of film when viewing it on the web? Every one of these images has been scanned, and is now appearing on a monitor. Their "film qualities" no longer exist. They ARE digital.

I really do believe that large prints from film have qualities I like, but you can't see them on a monitor.
rral22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2009 (Tue)   #11
bjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rral22 View Post
I looked at the whole thread, and I really think there are some good images here, but how can we talk about the "look" of film when viewing it on the web? Every one of these images has been scanned, and is now appearing on a monitor. Their "film qualities" no longer exist. They ARE digital.

I really do believe that large prints from film have qualities I like, but you can't see them on a monitor.
Scanning film (or prints) digitally captures the "look" of the film in the grain and tone. I don't know if a consumer film scanner can capture the full dynamic range of B&W film, and doubt a monitor can display it, but I don't think it's any less than photographic paper.
Old 15th of July 2009 (Wed)   #12
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rral22 View Post
That is not correct. They are scanned into a digital format, but they are still hold the film qualities. Negative film scanned properly will hold onto the much higher highlight retention that negative film has over even the best dSLR. I've proven it to myself shooting negative film on bright cloudless days outside when the sun is high in the sky and film can hold detail in the highlights where a dSLR would have all sorts of trouble and would end up with dark shadows and blown highlights.

Attached is a photo from my 5D (wide view and darker) that I developed in LR2 and even had to use fill light of about 35. The other is 200 speed consumer film, negative was scanned. These are taken a year apart but at the same location, same time of day and both had sunny skies. Notice how great the highlights are in the film scan and how light the shadows are compared to the 5D photo.

So scanning film doesn't make them digital. Their film qualities are maintained! Now if films scanners can "record" such a wide range of colors and brightnesses, why can't dSLRs do it at the point of capture?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg film.jpg (76.8 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg 5D.jpg (106.9 KB, 436 views)
HappySnapper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #13
bjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySnapper90 View Post
That is not correct. They are scanned into a digital format, but they are still hold the film qualities. Negative film scanned properly will hold onto the much higher highlight retention that negative film has over even the best dSLR. I've proven it to myself shooting negative film on bright cloudless days outside when the sun is high in the sky and film can hold detail in the highlights where a dSLR would have all sorts of trouble and would end up with dark shadows and blown highlights.
I rescanned the picture I posted before of the wiener dog at 4800dpi, 16-bit to look at the shadows/highlights. Lightening the deepest shadow (the foreground man's sunglasses), I could make out trees and a few reflected people. I could even see that there were buttons on a person's shirt! Surely the highlights in the scene were blown? Nope, the brightest highlight was another man's white T-shirt, and all but the very brightest parts still had some silver defining its wrinkles. T-Max 400 in D-76.
Old 16th of July 2009 (Thu)   #14
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Quote:

Now if films scanners can "record" such a wide range of colors and brightnesses, why can't dSLRs do it at the point of capture?!
Um, I'm gonna guess that people don't want to wait 20 to 60+ seconds for a caputre to finish?
Old 23rd of July 2009 (Thu)   #15
Tixeon

Quote:
Attached is a photo from my 5D (wide view and darker) that I developed in LR2 and even had to use fill light of about 35. The other is 200 speed consumer film, negative was scanned. These are taken a year apart but at the same location, same time of day and both had sunny skies. Notice how great the highlights are in the film scan and how light the shadows are compared to the 5D photo.

So scanning film doesn't make them digital. Their film qualities are maintained! Now if films scanners can "record" such a wide range of colors and brightnesses, why can't dSLRs do it at the point of capture?!
It is possible that the light conditions (between the two different days) were exact. What about humidity levels? High humidity = softer contrast, open shadows, & better highlights on both film & digital................tw
Tixeon is offline   Reply With Quote