is the sport photographer a dying breed ?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 17:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

picard
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,996 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Newspaper chains are laying off entire sport department and print department. I wonder if the market is saturated with unemployed sport photographers. My friend who is a editor for Hawaii newspaper chain was lay off this month along with several hundreds people

how does this affect sport photography field?

Post #1, Jun 10, 2010 17:49:57

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
Joined Jan 2007
14,440 posts
Detroit, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

Too broad of a genre for me to say.

I shoot sports on contract for local HS teams. I offer them what they want (posters and banquet slide show) and make a nice profit on the back-end print sales.

From what I see of the local professional sports teams there are still professional photographers in the pits and on the sidelines shooting the games. They must be shooting for someone.

Post #2, Jun 10, 2010 20:33:35

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/external link
Commercial sports:http://girbach.zenfoli​o.com/external link
I use a Canon 5DIII and 1DIV and a Panasonic GF-1

Biffbradford
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
2,717 posts
Milwaukee
[MORE/SHARE]

It's a changing world. If you can take a better picture than Mom, then you've got a potential market. Find a niche and work it.

Post #3, Jun 10, 2010 20:42:46

My pictures: John Wilke Photographyexternal link, Flikrexternal link , Facebookexternal link, Fine Arts Americaexternal link, Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"
Joined Dec 2007
13,606 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

A very fair question..

I worked for a newspaper from mid 1990 until July 2007.. Whlist shooting film we would shoot all the big games.. For those in Australia, we would drive 100klms or more for an ARL game, to shoot a Saturday/Sunday afternoon game, drive back, process and print..

We were part of a much larger masthead.. When were went of to digital in 1999 we used images from other photographers from the same masthead more and more.. Images were posted on the company's intranet Australia wide.. We would also use images shot by sports agencies affiliated with the newspaper..

We shot fewer out of town sports events but still shot big local games.. The good news is,, we never had any lay offs.. I could always remember there being 10 fulltime photographers and two casuals..

Also,,Australia is one of the few western countries which still employs staff photographers.. A lot can be said about unionisation..

Post #4, Jun 10, 2010 21:06:20 as a reply to Biffbradford's post 23 minutes earlier.

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreueexternal link
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

picard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,996 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

my friend, the editor manager, is freaking scared for his job. He was told that if he seek a new job before July 1, 2010; he won't get his severance pay.

he is now effectively on call without pay. He stays at home biting his nails like a squirrel.

Post #5, Jun 10, 2010 22:27:46 as a reply to yogestee's post 1 hour earlier.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit

sponsored links
yogestee
Joined Dec 2007
13,606 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

picard wrote in post #10341317external link
my friend, the editor manager, is freaking scared for his job. He was told that if he seek a new job before July 1, 2010; he won't get his severance pay.

he is now effectively on call without pay. He stays at home biting his nails like a squirrel.

That's a very bad situation to be in:(

I'm wondering, is he a fulltimer??

Post #6, Jun 10, 2010 23:28:11

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
Joined Aug 2006
48,201 posts
Deep in the heart of Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think it's sports shooters per say, it's newspapers. Not sure how the newspapers are doing around the country, but in the Chicago area both major papers are really hurting and circulation continues to shrink.

Post #7, Jun 10, 2010 23:38:57

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::external link
::Gear::

photoPanda
Joined May 2010
616 posts
East Coast
[MORE/SHARE]

The local newspaper photogs were complaining to me a few months back that the paper had laid off half their staff because of the increasing reliance on agency images; from the sounds of it more papers are getting their shots from less shooters.

Post #8, Jun 10, 2010 23:44:41

hooookup
Joined Nov 2005
942 posts
Dana Point
[MORE/SHARE]

picard wrote in post #10340074external link

Newspaper chains are laying off entire sport department and print department. I wonder if the market is saturated with unemployed sport photographers. My friend who is a editor for Hawaii newspaper chain was lay off this month along with several hundreds people

how does this affect sport photography field?

June 6th was a very sad day for the news making business in Hawaii. I hope my friends and colleagues over there are able to find work with the Star Advertiser or other outlets to remain working. A lot of talented shooters lost their jobs this week...
Sorry to thread jack. /end threadjack

Post #9, Jun 11, 2010 01:55:16

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2007
6,220 posts
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

I think it is photographers employed within journalism in general that are in danger.

Given the ease at which an editor can pull images of the web or use "citizen journalists/photograph​ers", it means that paying staff is no longer a requirement for getting the images. The vast majority of the general public also don't want paid for their contribution as well for some reason :rolleyes:

Post #10, Jun 11, 2010 07:31:16

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

gjl711
human (barely) and bribable
Joined Aug 2006
48,201 posts
Deep in the heart of Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

neilwood32 wrote in post #10342821external link
...The vast majority of the general public also don't want paid for their contribution as well for some reason :rolleyes:

Not sure if it's the vast majority, in fact, even our local paper pays for photos used. It might be less than what a professional can negotiate but generally there is some freelance fee. But I see your point and I think it has to do with intent?

A photo journalist takes a picture with profit in mind. It's their main goal, take a picture that will sell. Someone out taking pictures for themselves, and happens to stumble upon a newsworthy event, never had profit in mind. A newspaper wanting their print their pic is enough satisfaction given that they were expecting nothing to begin with.

Post #11, Jun 11, 2010 07:52:46

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::external link
::Gear::

sponsored links
yogestee
Joined Dec 2007
13,606 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

When I go back to Australia I always drop in a have a cuppa with the guys at the newspaper I worked for.. The newspaper has been bought by another masthead which only looks at the bottom line..

Since I resigned in July '07, there has been two retirements but they are starting to offer redundancies to the older longer serving guys.. These photographers are at the top of the pile when it comes to experience and talent, and naturally salaries..

On guy has had over 35 years continuous service with the newspaper and is only in his mid 50s.. Press photography is all he knows and the prospect of getting another job in the industry is very rare.. Luckily, the payouts are quite generous..

It's not a happy camp..

Post #12, Jun 11, 2010 11:45:47 as a reply to gjl711's post 3 hours earlier.

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
Joined Oct 2005
1,659 posts
Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think it's sports shooters per say, it's newspapers. Not sure how the newspapers are doing around the country, but in the Chicago area both major papers are really hurting and circulation continues to shrink.

Same situation in Detroit. Joint Operating Agreement between the Det Free Press & Det News. They stopped home delivery 4 days out of 7 some months back. They also increased the price and reduced the size of the paper. Now the paper(s) is(are) hardy worth buying. Definitely a reduction in last minute sports reporting. Sort of a downward spiral - less subscribers - less news printed - less subscribers ...

Post #13, Jun 11, 2010 14:17:01

Kevin

Gear List

picard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,996 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

yogestee wrote in post #10341572external link
That's a very bad situation to be in:(

I'm wondering, is he a fulltimer??

yeah my buddy is a full time editor manager who worked there for years.

Post #14, Jun 11, 2010 17:21:40

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II

crcal
Joined Nov 2009
803 posts
Honolulu, HI
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't know much about the industry, but I do know that the two newspapers in Hawaii just merged into one. That is probably a bitg reason why so many got laid off in this case.

Post #15, Jun 11, 2010 17:34:40 as a reply to picard's post 13 minutes earlier.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES