Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Kids & Family
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of July 2010 (Sat)   #1
ETERNAL

Default New to this, need advice

I am new to posting images on PTN, but I have been a long time lurker around the forums. I must say I am very impressed with the pictures of peoples children and family. I usually stick to Landscape photography, not that I am any good at that.

Recently I upgraded to a 7D with kit lens. I added a 430EXII. I am reading up on its operations on Canon's Digital Learning website. My son was laying down and I plugged in the different settings from an article I had read and snapped a shot of him. I pulled it up in PSto try and edit it, but first I want absolute opinions and improvements needed on an unedited photo.

This photo is straight out of the camera, other than resizing for rules here. With the flash bounced from the left. What am I doing right (if anything) and wrong (I am sure a lot)? I am not looking to become a pro or ever shoot portraits, I just want to make the most of the pictures of my children. Thank you in advance, and sorry for being longwinded.

FULL SIZE: http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=031d9796.jpg
Old 10th of July 2010 (Sat)   #2
Maureen Souza
Ms. Moderator

Default Re: New to this, need advice

First of all Welcome! Kids are hard to shoot......trying to get them to make eye contact with the camera can be tough as they are easily distracted. Indoor photography with a flash is also tough because the flash bounces off colors in the room.

That said, get your subject in front of you with good light coming in from behind you. Make sure you have good Depth of Field and get your focus point on the eyes (I use a single center focus point).

Most of all, keep practicing.

5DIII x2
Canon Lenses:
50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0,
300/f4, 24-70!
Pro1
Maureen Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of July 2010 (Sat)   #3
Maureen Souza
Ms. Moderator

I tried to fiddle with the color balance and decrease the yellow tone. Good focus, BTW; the photo is very sharp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031d9796.jpg (143.4 KB, 105 views)

5DIII x2
Canon Lenses:
50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0,
300/f4, 24-70!
Pro1
Maureen Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of July 2010 (Sat)   #4
ETERNAL

Thank you.
If I am not asking to much, could you give me a real quick rundown of the PP you did? Or is it just a simple slide of yellows in color adjust?