Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of October 2010 (Sat)   #1
CanbyOR

Default Second shoot, second model release?

I did a Halloween costume shoot a week ago and got a model release. She wants to do another shoot this week.
Questions:
Do I need a new model release?
Do I need a new model release every time?
What if I shoot the model over a period of several days?
How long of period of time between shoots before I need another release?
CanbyOR is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of October 2010 (Sun)   #2
photopat

Default Re: Second shoot, second model release?

It would be better to have another model release with the new date of the shoot.
If you plan a shooting over several days, just write on your release that this release cover these days.
As a general rule, try to have on each of your release: the date of the shoot and a description of the shoot.
Old 24th of October 2010 (Sun)   #3
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanbyOR View Post
I did a Halloween costume shoot a week ago and got a model release. She wants to do another shoot this week.
Questions:
Do I need a new model release?
Do I need a new model release every time?
What if I shoot the model over a period of several days?
How long of period of time between shoots before I need another release?
The model release must identify the images it covers. That's the basic requirement.

In the majority of cases, this is nothing more than identifying the date of the session (yes, there are plenty of ways to screw around with this, but until some photographer does and some model makes a court case out of it, the mere date continues to suffice).

You can make a model release cover multiple sessions or multiple days...as long as you find an acceptable way to identify the images covered by the model release. If you do something different from the universally accepted single date for a single session, you probably need to find a way to include the images in the release. Putting them all on a CD may be a way.

Any time you stray from a court-proven method, be extra sure to cover your okole well.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of October 2010 (Sun)   #4
dalebmartin

Depends on how you Model release is worded.
Old 24th of October 2010 (Sun)   #5
TopHatMoments

Just to be safe I create a PDF release with the photograph, for each that I will use. It's a legal PDF I fill in the blanks, model signs, whitness signs, I sign, any required signature, date, location all required info for each I wish to use. A bit of a pain but you can never CYA enough. They have a copy, I have a copy. It's a sheet of paper and some ink. That's just me, set up for me by a lawyer in that arena. His family had a nice portrait I had a legal doc. I update there Portrait, he updates my doc's.
Old 25th of October 2010 (Mon)   #6
josh5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHatMoments View Post
I update there Portrait, he updates my doc's.
Hear Hear !! I'm loving it
josh5k is offline   Reply With Quote