Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 01 Dec 2007 (Saturday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

night club photos (NWS)

abathingape
53 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 22, 2010 22:45 |  #10246

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this, and I'm wondering if someone could explain to me how to get those segmented light trails. Like these:

http://farm3.static.fl​ickr.com …4439005899_6980​ae23a4.jpg (external link)
http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …4439006051_d1fd​e0682d.jpg (external link)
http://a.myclubcity.co​m/original/107996_trys​t.jpg (external link)

I can't seem to grasp how some lights streak and others make defined trails with points...

Gear: Present-Past
Flickr (external link)
Funniest thread I've seen thus far.

sponsored links
mizouse
888 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 22, 2010 23:20 |  #10247

the lights streak cause they are continuously on. and the others make trails with points because they're actually strobing.

you would get those by having longer shutter speeds when you take your photo.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N | Sony Alpha NEX-6 | Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 6D | Canon EOS 6D Mark II | EF 70-200mm 1:2.8 L USM | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L USM | EF 17-40mm 1:4 L USM | EF 50mm 1:1.8 STM | EF 40mm 1:2.8 STM | EF 35mm 1:2 IS USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | 580EX II

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 22, 2010 23:20 |  #10248

^ Long shutter speeds, high ISO to capture the ambient, which is the tiny LEDs on the equipment, then the technique of twirling your camera, twisting it, zooming the lens in and out, to drag light.

Dragging light is how you get "camera shake".
Technically these light trails is "camera shake", used towards your advantage.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

AJL
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 22, 2010 23:20 |  #10249

SquareOne wrote in post #10048296 (external link)
Very nice Chris. Makes me miss shooting nightlife! I think I'm going to dust it off in a REALLY small bar/club that my brother is DJ'ing at this next week. Going to give a buddy of mine some pointers. Hope you all have been well!

Rob

That would be me

EMBED PREVENTED, GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED INLINE
when post is by a member with less than 30 posts)
http://imgs.pbnation.c​om/smilies/wink.gif

My first post! I am excited at what I will learn here!

abathingape
53 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 22, 2010 23:33 |  #10250

mizouse wrote in post #10048858 (external link)
the lights streak cause they are continuously on. and the others make trails with points because they're actually strobing.

you would get those by having longer shutter speeds when you take your photo.

I knew it! My photographer friend said the lights aren't constantly flashing, but physically I thought there was no other way. Those pieces of equipment must have a dimmer switch for the boards to strobe like that. IIRC house lighting with dimmers act the same way.

kay188 wrote in post #10048860 (external link)
^ Long shutter speeds, high ISO to capture the ambient, which is the tiny LEDs on the equipment, then the technique of twirling your camera, twisting it, zooming the lens in and out, to drag light.

Dragging light is how you get "camera shake".
Technically these light trails is "camera shake", used towards your advantage.

Thanks for your help :). I've been doing these kinds of shots with a single flash and bulb exposure, but I'm beginning to see why controlling the shutter speed is important. Especially with high ISO, I'd end up saturating the sensor if I didn't control the amount of light. That and controlling the length of the streaks, so I don't have too muddled of a picture.

Gear: Present-Past
Flickr (external link)
Funniest thread I've seen thus far.

pod_canon
954 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2010 03:33 |  #10251

The red light on an SL-1200 turntable is actually strobing. It strobes at a pre-set rate so the dots on the rim of the platter seemingly stay stationary on one of the rows, which is useful for determining the pitch, and so on. The dots aren't just a pretty grip.

My stuff
My blog and "professional" site. (external link)
My other site (external link) - in development, bear with me
The beast that spawned it all (external link)

stuart_hatch
68 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 23, 2010 06:48 |  #10252

Looking for some tips here, at one of the the clubs I snap at, they have this section with a uber strong red light filling the place.

I end up with pics like this:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

(excuse facebook compression)

It drives me mental, I have tried playing with shutter speeds but have no luck at all, any ideas?

Canon 40D, 60D + 430 EXII with Stofen + 580EX II with Quick Bounce + +Orbis Ring Flash + Sigma 10-20 + Canon 70-300 + 50mm 1.8 + Canon 28-135 IS

Ockie
469 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 23, 2010 08:04 |  #10253

stuart_hatch wrote in post #10050043 (external link)
Looking for some tips here, at one of the the clubs I snap at, they have this section with a uber strong red light filling the place.

It drives me mental, I have tried playing with shutter speeds but have no luck at all, any ideas?

there's an area like that at the club where I shot at a lot... I try to stay away from it, and when I have to shoot there, I just use a faster shutter speed so that the flash overpowers the red light a bit more than for your normal shots ;)

Website (external link)500px (external link)

“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”

pod_canon
954 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2010 14:38 |  #10254

If the light is that strong, it's a perfect opportunity to not use flash.

My stuff

itsafastworld85
464 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 23, 2010 16:41 |  #10255

red alot of the times the only issue is its not the nicest on skin tones, ie not very flattering.

Although depends on the type of red light.

GambitLive
342 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 23, 2010 17:04 as a reply to  @ itsafastworld85's post |  #10256

one of the clubs I shoot in edinburgh has red walls, a red ceiling and red lights everywhere, so its impossible to bounce without getting an orange/red tone on the skin, but over a while I've worked out a technique,

shooting on a faster shutter speed, a lot of the time 2nd curtain sync, but depends how strong the red is, and use a bounce card :),

occasionally if I dont get it I just do a bit of colour correction in LR, changing the hue of the red to compliment the photo

--Jason--
Canon EOS 5DmkIII (gripped) | Canon EOS 5DmkIV (gripped)
And a range of Lenses & Accessories
My Website (external link)

Ockie
469 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 23, 2010 22:09 |  #10257

shot this with a slower shutter speed, but with quite some flash to get rid of the red on them:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Website (external link)500px (external link)

“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 24, 2010 00:09 |  #10258

Anyone here shot in SF?

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

NorCalNomad.com (external link)
Industrial Design Portfolio (external link)
$15 Targus Monopod Review

pod_canon
954 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 24, 2010 03:09 |  #10259

itsafastworld85 wrote in post #10053144 (external link)
red alot of the times the only issue is its not the nicest on skin tones, ie not very flattering.

Although depends on the type of red light.

Depends on your goals. You can work that red.

My stuff

GambitLive
342 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 24, 2010 03:53 as a reply to  @ pod_canon's post |  #10260

another thing would be to get the subject to move so that the red light is behind them, and them position yourself so the light is blocked out by the head of the subject,

--Jason--
Canon EOS 5DmkIII (gripped) | Canon EOS 5DmkIV (gripped)
And a range of Lenses & Accessories
My Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,483,167 views & 3 likes for this thread
night club photos (NWS)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.